• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The ONLY thing that should be used to regulate the hunting season and bag limits are scientific research. This is not even close...it's a feel good survey that I hope is not being used to determine regulations. The decline of the number of harvested deer in the last several years is an indicator (though not a scientific one) that the population might be dropping off. In 2017 some parts of the upper eastern shore saw a large number of deer killed by an outbreak of EHD (blue tongue) and that showed in the decreased number of deer harvested by hunters in the 2018 firearms season. Personally I saw fewer deer this year than in any year since 2004. (I hunt in QA county very close to farms that saw as many as 50 dead deer from EHD in 2017)

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The ONLY thing that should be used to regulate the hunting season and bag limits are scientific research. This is not even close...it's a feel good survey that I hope is not being used to determine regulations. The decline of the number of harvested deer in the last several years is an indicator (though not a scientific one) that the population might be dropping off.

THIS. Agree 100% !!!

Unfortunately the Maryland DNR has a history of using emotion and socio-economic mumbo jumbo to steer their regulation creation which has led to some very undesirable and nearly catastrophic results. The waterman's lobby in Assapolis is very powerful and the biologists who fight against them usually are shown the door. There are a few (IMO) VERY stupid regulations on the hunting side that appear to be a direct result of these emotion based decisions. Do you know it's against the law to dispatch a wounded deer after legal hunting hours if you track and find it still alive? It is forced to suffer until legal hunting hours the next legal hunting day...Do you know it's legal to hunt any game mammal (with the exception of 3 types of deer) with any caliber rifle in the state, including counties that are shotgun only for deer? Do you know that although coyotes are open for hunting all year, hunting them at night (when they are most active) is limited to a few months a year which virtually insures they are able to breed? Why is an invasive apex predator that can kill anything from people's pets to white tailed deer (and potentially small children) allowed to be protected? There are other examples but you get my point.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Please trap and relocate the urban deer to my property please! The numbers dont lie, this is what the general population wants. I should spear head a fund raiser to relocate away from the population dense areas to my f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶r̶ deer paradise.

I really like the part where 48% were pro-sterilization, but 81% would not want to help, and 74% do not want to pay. It is almost like we live in a state where the general population expects things to be "free".

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    The ONLY thing that should be used to regulate the hunting season and bag limits are scientific research. This is not even close...it's a feel good survey that I hope is not being used to determine regulations.

I couldn't agree more Muleskinner. Well said.

To your point about rifles in shotgun counties (deer), I have been pointing this out to people forever. I can go squirrel hunt with a 30-06 blasting them while aiming up in trees (obviously I don't do this) but I can't hunt deer with the same rifle from an elevated tree stand shooting down into the ground. Makes sense right? :sad20:

A bit off topic but when I was younger I was stopped on my Personal watercraft for not wearing a life jacket. I was respectful to the officer but told him I found it odd that I lawfully had to wear a life jacket while cruising on my pwc but I could get off the pwc and INTO the water and was not required to wear it. I understand the law, just seems a little backwards.

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    Please trap and relocate the urban deer to my property please! The numbers dont lie, this is what the general population wants. I should spear head a fund raiser to relocate away from the population dense areas to my f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶r̶ deer paradise.

I really like the part where 48% were pro-sterilization, but 81% would not want to help, and 74% do not want to pay. It is almost like we live in a state where the general population expects things to be "free".

LMAO

48% were pro-sterilization, but 81% would not want to help, and 74% do not want to pay.....says it all.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I couldn't agree more Muleskinner. Well said.

To your point about rifles in shotgun counties (deer), I have been pointing this out to people forever. I can go squirrel hunt with a 30-06 blasting them while aiming up in trees (obviously I don't do this) but I can't hunt deer with the same rifle from an elevated tree stand shooting down into the ground. Makes sense right? :sad20:

A bit off topic but when I was younger I was stopped on my Personal watercraft for not wearing a life jacket. I was respectful to the officer but told him I found it odd that I lawfully had to wear a life jacket while cruising on my pwc but I could get off the pwc and INTO the water and was not required to wear it. I understand the law, just seems a little backwards.

There are some county laws that come into play for using rifles to hunt. Montgomery County only allows .25 caliber or less and has to be outside the urban zone.

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/pol/resources/files/pdf/weapons-law-brochure.pdf

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Unfortunately the Maryland DNR has a history of using emotion and socio-economic mumbo jumbo to steer their regulation creation which has led to some very undesirable and nearly catastrophic results. The waterman's lobby in Assapolis is very powerful and the biologists who fight against them usually are shown the door.

This is certainly true for this administration.

BTW, the governor's office sets far more regs than DNR does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom