• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have to admit it's not as quiet as I thought it was. Partially my fault for getting a rugged micro suppressor, but my friends .300 with a full size suppressor was still louder than I expected. Mine though, it echoes loud to the point where it almost sounds supersonic through the trees LOL.

Any of y'all have tricks to making it less loud?

Was thinking maybe using a quicker burning powder. Maybe even getting a gas block to turn it off sometimes. Not sure if a heavier buffer would do anything to help, since I'm already at an H2.

Also wondering if a bolt action would be significantly quieter, but part of me thinks I just need a bigger can

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have to admit it's not as quiet as I thought it was. Partially my fault for getting a rugged micro suppressor, but my friends .300 with a full size suppressor was still louder than I expected. Mine though, it echoes loud to the point where it almost sounds supersonic through the trees LOL.

Any of y'all have tricks to making it less loud?

Was thinking maybe using a quicker burning powder. Maybe even getting a gas block to turn it off sometimes. Not sure if a heavier buffer would do anything to help, since I'm already at an H2.

Also wondering if a bolt action would be significantly quieter, but part of me thinks I just need a bigger can

Are you using subsonic ammo?

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    A bolt gun would be quieter, but my AR was louder than I expected at first, too. I had previously shot 5.56 suppressed, but never 300 blk.

After shooting, I went back and watched vids to find some camera setups were compressing sound down and not a realistic representation. Mine was closer to what it sounds like here and here than other videos I had seen.

Certainly depends too on how many trees/buildings are reflecting sound back at you, etc. Did you try without ear pro? I found it wasn't painful at all, but it was loud enough that I put your ear pro back on.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    A bolt gun would be quieter, but my AR was louder than I expected at first, too. I had previously shot 5.56 suppressed, but never 300 blk.

After shooting, I went back and watched vids to find some camera setups were compressing sound down and not a realistic representation. Mine was closer to what it sounds like here and here than other videos I had seen.

Certainly depends too on how many trees/buildings are reflecting sound back at you, etc. Did you try without ear pro? I found it wasn't painful at all, but it was loud enough that I put your ear pro back on.

Yes there were trees and other stuff reflecting the sound. But my friends full size suppressor just didn't really have that effect at all.

Without ear pro it's not too bad, but I can notice my right ear gets more noise from the bolt pop.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Curious, did you chrono the subs to see if they're actually subsonic? Follow-up, what length barrel? 9" or 10.5"?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Curious, did you chrono the subs to see if they're actually subsonic? Follow-up, what length barrel? 9" or 10.5"?

I did not chrono.

8" pistol

My friend had the same suspicion you did, thinking they were supersonic. I personally just think the blast is louder since my can is only 6.3". He has the same exact barrel and it does not sound supersonic on his rig.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yes, there are things you can do to improve the decibels but honestly if you wanted “quiet” you picked the wrong suppressor. The Micro is a great can but really designed to be short, light and take the edge off. Its a physics issue where the can is trying to slow the exhaust gasses of the explosion in the barrel. Longer and wider cans will practically always have the advantage but the trade off is length and weight. Just like everything else in life, its a balancing act.

Just enjoy what you have and save for the next... Once you have one can you never stop there. It becomes an obsession.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a home made can on my 10.5”
    Pistol. The can is 7” long. While using subs it sounds like a pneumatic nail gun. It’s got a loud psssssttt sounding report thats not too hard on the ears.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yes, there are things you can do to improve the decibels but honestly if you wanted “quiet” you picked the wrong suppressor. The Micro is a great can but really designed to be short, light and take the edge off. Its a physics issue where the can is trying to slow the exhaust gasses of the explosion in the barrel. Longer and wider cans will practically always have the advantage but the trade off is length and weight. Just like everything else in life, its a balancing act.

Just enjoy what you have and save for the next... Once you have one can you never stop there. It becomes an obsession.

Yeah. I picked the can with the intentions or suppressing 5.56 and not really caring if it was ninja quiet.

Then I got a .300.

Like you said, it becomes an obsession.

I'm debating on getting a Surge just for compatability with other mounts. That's the real b*tch. Proprietary mounts.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    FWIW, if the bullets are close to the speed of sound, you may still be getting a slight crack as the air being compressed at the ogive does increase in speed and could be supersonic. A slight possibility.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    FWIW, if the bullets are close to the speed of sound, you may still be getting a slight crack as the air being compressed at the ogive does increase in speed and could be supersonic. A slight possibility.

I just didn't think this was likely with an 8". I guess I'll have to chrono and find out.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

It would be cool if someone could design a working expanding can. Basically a traditional can w/baffle stack, capped with a sliding end that blows forward with a shot. It could be sealed with ring seals similar to a cars engine and could be compressed back with an external spring sleeve of some kind. You could get a small can for moving around, coupled with bigger internal volume if they crack the engineering issues. The mass moving forward could also work the ak counterbalance design to reduce recoil.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    It would be cool if someone could design a working expanding can. Basically a traditional can w/baffle stack, capped with a sliding end that blows forward with a shot. It could be sealed with ring seals similar to a cars engine and could be compressed back with an external spring sleeve of some kind. You could get a small can for moving around, coupled with bigger internal volume if they crack the engineering issues. The mass moving forward could also work the ak counterbalance design to reduce recoil.

Sure - I'm sure something like that would be cool but given the operating pressures and everything else, there's likely be other issues.. Out of all the suppressors I've seen, OSS has the most interesting (baffleless design) but when I saw one up close (and older model), I left not being overly impressed. Maybe a little less gas in the face, average decibels... Had the HPA passed with the surge in market, suppressor designs would have advanced at light speed.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Most of the off the shelf loads are pushing close to 1100fps to guarantee cycling in a semi auto. If you drop the speed down to ~900fps or lower the bullet noise will drop as it's no longer trans-sonic.

I too was a bit disappointed with 300blk in a suppressed AR platform. I switched to a pistol powder and a single shot setup. People accuse it of being an air gun at the range. Pistol powders will most likely not cycle a gas gun however.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I switched to a pistol powder and a single shot setup. People accuse it of being an air gun at the range. Pistol powders will most likely not cycle a gas gun however.

I bought some inexpensive 130gr projectiles to plink. For fun, I loaded a few with some trail boss in a subsonic recipe I saw. They don't cycle, of course, but they are very quiet. Part of that is the fact that they aren't cycling, too. I'd imagine in a bolt gun they'd be fun, although not entirely sure the POU other than novelty. Sometimes novelty is enough, I suppose.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Most of the off the shelf loads are pushing close to 1100fps to guarantee cycling in a semi auto. If you drop the speed down to ~900fps or lower the bullet noise will drop as it's no longer trans-sonic.

I too was a bit disappointed with 300blk in a suppressed AR platform. I switched to a pistol powder and a single shot setup. People accuse it of being an air gun at the range. Pistol powders will most likely not cycle a gas gun however.

Interesting.

Maybe I should reload with some H110 since I hear it won't cycle most likely? Haven't reloaded .300 get but I am soon.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I suppose with low enough charge it wouldn't cycle, but I use H110 for both my defensive loads and plinking loads. Cycles fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom