Received 7/21/23

The whole process was unpleasant.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Applied 5/26/23
    Received 7/21/23

The whole process was unpleasant.
    By design and institutional incompetence.

Just had a DC resident the other day ask how to bring in a previously owned handgun.

Told him everything he needed to do and showed him where it said exactly that on MPD website.

Guy goes down there -- wastes two hours only for them to tell him no he needs the original receipt from the out-of-state FFL for something he bought years ago.

They don't know their own rules and they just make stuff up on the spot.

Thankfully, I told the guy to email the Lt. in charge and amazingly the Lt. answered the guy and said yeah staff made a mistake.

(Said Lt. never answers my emails though lol)

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    By design and institutional incompetence.

Just had a DC resident the other day ask how to bring in a previously owned handgun.

Told him everything he needed to do and showed him where it said exactly that on MPD website.

Guy goes down there -- wastes two hours only for them to tell him no he needs the original receipt from the out-of-state FFL for something he bought years ago.

They don't know their own rules and they just make stuff up on the spot.

Thankfully, I told the guy to email the Lt. in charge and amazingly the Lt. answered the guy and said yeah staff made a mistake.

(Said Lt. never answers my emails though lol)
    That was my experience as well. I went about 4 months ago (just after I started living in DC officially), they said I couldn't do my CCW application or register anything since I wasn't a resident yet. Despite being told I could get another appointment by checking for cancellations, there never were any, and the soonest date I could get was 3 months later. Now fast forward to 3 months later, they tell me I have to bring everything in via a DC FFL since it's been more than the allotted time after becoming a resident... um, you refused to do it when I was here the first time I was here. So then she changed her mind and said if I had a receipt I could register what I had. I had my 77Rs from Maryland, but apparently DC believes the MD will register you firearms that are not legally yours??? So I had to go back and try and find receipts for what I had, and luckily I had one digitally and one in paper format. What a waste of time, and money just to get to the application step.... as designed I am sure.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I submitted my renwal application (second renewal), on July 3rd, processed July 6th, Approval email received August 1st (0545 AM)

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Just checked on the MPD Appointment Scheduler for when the next available appointments for a DC CCW are:

November 21, 2023

90 days from now. JFC.... and then add up to another 90 days (or more) after that for processing.

Thank goodness I got my permit when I did.

EDITED for clarity.

Last edited:

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    Just checked on the MPD Appointment Scheduler for when the next available appointments for a DC CCW are:

November 21, 2023

90 days from now. JFC.... and then add up to another 90 days (or more) after that for processing.

Thank goodness I got mine when I did.
    I applied in February, got my appointment for May and was approved two months later. While I was at my appointment, some people just walked in and were seen somewhat quickly. So, you may want to try that if you have the free time.

Also, once I applied I put all the paperwork I needed in a folder so I wouldn’t forget anything. They accepted my car registration that was almost two years old, my driver’s license that was four years old but they wouldn’t accept my utility bills that were three months old because “things could have changed in the last three months”. I found that really frustrating since i needed to run to my car to get my insurance and registration.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I applied in February, got my appointment for May and was approved two months later. While I was at my appointment, some people just walked in and were seen somewhat quickly. So, you may want to try that if you have the free time.

Also, once I applied I put all the paperwork I needed in a folder so I wouldn’t forget anything. They accepted my car registration that was almost two years old, my driver’s license that was four years old but they wouldn’t accept my utility bills that were three months old because “things could have changed in the last three months”. I found that really frustrating since i needed to run to my car to get my insurance and registration.
    Appreciate the info. Sorry if I was unclear. I actually already have my DC permit.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Appreciate the info. Sorry if I was unclear. I actually already have my DC permit.
    I urge everyone to create a MPD portal login for their DC CCPL. The renewal submissions can be completely online, no appointment necessary. I've used it twice with no issues.

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC

They seem to have stopped letting people just walk in. Latest info is that you must have an appointment scheduled for that day or you will not be let in.

What people also used to do is:
    simple firearms registrations appointments are quicker to get than CCW appointments so people would schedule a registration and then just bring their CCW application along. They seem to have stopped allowing that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom