• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Pics will basically tell it all. Matters not surplus or modern factory, this has happened twice before. It's a MUBBA to unstick. Well oiled ect... the last two rounds surplus had light strikes, yes I know commie harder primers.

NOTE the cracked case of the extracted jam.
    Since I shot corrosive today I'll tear it down to parade rest, lube reassemble tonight.
    Educated thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
      IMG_0450.JPG
      65.4 KB · Views: 1,296
    • IMG_0452.JPG
      IMG_0452.JPG
      31.6 KB · Views: 764
    • IMG_0453.JPG
      IMG_0453.JPG
      52.1 KB · Views: 785
    • IMG_0455.JPG
      IMG_0455.JPG
      55.2 KB · Views: 767
    • IMG_0456.JPG
      IMG_0456.JPG
      52.9 KB · Views: 790
    • IMG_0457.JPG
      IMG_0457.JPG
      44 KB · Views: 756
    • IMG_0458.JPG
      IMG_0458.JPG
      41.9 KB · Views: 751
    • IMG_0461.JPG
      IMG_0461.JPG
      53.1 KB · Views: 772

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My first thought is some of the surplus ammo is pretty hot. I've seen split cases in surplus before, but that alone hasn't been a big deal. They're not reloadable cases on my bench.
    Hard extraction is a sign of over pressure though.
    What do the fired primers look like?

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    My first thought is some of the surplus ammo is pretty hot. I've seen split cases in surplus before, but that alone hasn't been a big deal. They're not reloadable cases on my bench.
    Hard extraction is a sign of over pressure though.
    What do the fired primers look like?

Did it twice with new factory PPU ammo which is loaded down, 1 in 50, no cracks and strikes looked good. I don't remember seeing split cases with it but it could have happened. I'm thinking more of a gun issue over ammo.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Did it twice with new factory PPU ammo which is loaded down, 1 in 50, no cracks and strikes looked good. I don't remember seeing split cases with it but it could have happened. I'm thinking more of a gun issue over ammo.

OK. I get that. What I'm not clear on is exactly when the pistol jams.
    i.e. when it's jammed is the case partially extracted like in your pics? Or is that a result of your efforts to un-jam a stuck case?

Is the case is not being fully extracted by the blowback pressure?
    Is there maybe a burr or obstruction in the slide channel?
    Is it maybe an extractor or ejector issue?

Lots of questions.

I'm not an expert on M57's. I have one to go with my TT-33's and M70A. They're basically all the same and I'm pretty familiar with how they work.

Hope I can help you out somewhat...

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    OK. I get that. What I'm not clear on is exactly when the pistol jams.
    i.e. when it's jammed is the case partially extracted like in your pics? Or is that a result of your efforts to un-jam a stuck case?

Is the case is not being fully extracted by the blowback pressure?
    Is there maybe a burr or obstruction in the slide channel?
    Is it maybe an extractor or ejector issue?

Lots of questions.

I'm not an expert on M57's. I have one to go with my TT-33's and M70A. They're basically all the same and I'm pretty familiar with how they work.

Hope I can help you out somewhat...

It comes maybe halfway back after firing, after FORCING closed smooth as silk by hand. Hard stuck, block of wood against protruding barrel stuck is the only way to free. When I reassemble I'm going with white grease instead of Ballistol.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pic three looks like there's surface rust inside the slide.

If so, that gun is dry, dry, dry.

Get the ole girl really wet and see how she performs.

I'm betting lots of lubrication will solve the problem.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did you install a new recoil spring in it?

If you have not done so do it.

Clean the Barrel thoroughly and lubricate the heck out of the gun and go back and shoot.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I notice a slight bulge on the extracted case about halfway down. Tells me there might be an excessive wear problem in the chamber. Brownell's sells replacement barrels for ~$30, I would try that as a last resort. Don't forget to order a link with the barrel.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Did you install a new recoil spring in it?

If you have not done so do it.

Clean the Barrel thoroughly and lubricate the heck out of the gun and go back and shoot.

Nope, sure didn't but I'll take that under advisement, thanks. I wonder where I might find a true NOS spring?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wolf gun Springs should have new Springs in stock. You don't want to put in any old Springs that are claimed to be new because they often or not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've also seen constant problems with surplus tokarev ammunition.

Try some Modern production brass case Tokarev ammunition and see if you experience any more problems.

This will isolate the issue to being a gun problem or an ammunition problem.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you are going to order Springs I will also advise you to order new magazine Springs if available.

Number your magazines with a paint pen or magic marker so you can troubleshoot and isolate whether not certain magazines or causing an issue.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I've also seen constant problems with surplus tokarev ammunition.

Try some Modern production brass case Tokarev ammunition and see if you experience any more problems.

This will isolate the issue to being a gun problem or an ammunition problem.

It's gun for sure, I ran 100 rounds of PPU and the jam rate was about the same as surplus.

Jul 1, 2012
    Note: Wolff only lists the springs for the TT-30/33 which won't work for the M-57 (nor will the mag or firing pin springs).

I haven't taken the hammer pack apart but I suspect it's the same as the TT-33, but the recoil system is captive and the firing pin design is totally different.
    Note that it it looks like disassembling the captive recoil system is not an easy task, have to drive out a pin while compressing the spring.
    And it has that pesky joint in the middle making it even more slinky.
    If it's anything like the Radom vz35/P35(p), it's a massive PITA (been there done that).

I went looking for a new spring kit for these and couldn't find one, but here's some individual parts:
    https://www.buymilsurp.com/pistol-parts-accessories-zastava-m57-tokarev-762-pistol-c-3546_10252.html (might be used).
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/yugoslavian-m57-tokarev-recoil-spring-good-to-very-good.html (used)

Another potential option is to switch the recoil system over to a TTC-style, I haven't shot mine like that but the parts are interchangeable.
    Not sure if this is as cost-effective as buying the M57 parts but has the advantage of easily servicing the spring and there's a ready supply of brand new springs out there.
    You'll need the recoil spring "cap" and the TT-33/TTC style recoil guide, the barrel bushing is the same.
    Anyway, that's what I plan to do before shooting mine... even though it "looks" NOS I don't trust unknown springs.

Locally, DK Firearms (IP here) has NOS/new mfg mags.

To the original question, it looks like the neck is deformed on the two cases you show, like the chamber is reamed out or something.
    I couldn't get a great pic of the chamber in mine but should give you an idea.

Attachments

• DSC_2010.jpg
      DSC_2010.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 889
    • DSC_2009.jpg
      DSC_2009.jpg
      104.2 KB · Views: 599

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members