Assoc Gun Clubs of Baltimore: Which to choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Which club to join?

I just want a place that lets me pay a fee and I am in.

I am looking for one with:

200+ yard rifle range
    Pistol range (preferably permitting drawing from the holster)
    Some place to pattern a shotgun

Which club offers this?

Thanks

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Go to the AGC website and you'll see a list of member clubs. AGC is the range they shoot at. Each club has its own membership requirements. Pick the one that fits. Also look at the AGC rules.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Your level of involvement dictates which club you join and how much you pay for that club's membership.

Some clubs require you to attend meetings, Baltimore Rifle club's motto is "talk less, shoot more".

I am not an expert on the actual ranges, save for AGC in Marriottsville. They have you covered for all of the things you want to do.... You will have to qualify for them. Cost is $180 for next season I believe, not 100% sure.

So join a club, then get a range badge at whatever range you want to shoot at, there are at least two. I think. :rolleyes:

Make sense?

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Your level of involvement dictates which club you join and how much you pay for that club's membership.

Some clubs require you to attend meetings, Baltimore Rifle club's motto is "talk less, shoot more".

I am not an expert on the actual ranges, save for AGC in Marriottsville. They have you covered for all of the things you want to do.... You will have to qualify for them. Cost is 275 for next season I believe, not 100% sure.

So join a club, then get a range badge at whatever range you want to shoot at, there are at least two. I think. :rolleyes:

Make sense?
    The Range Badge for 2018 will be $180.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Some clubs are serious about what they are in to. Some are laid back. Sounds like you are looking for the latter. HoCo and Balt fit that bill.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, a location would help.

Depending on where you live, there may be better options.

Where I am, AGC is further away than the range I joined in Lancaster Co, PA. And for similar or better facilities. And a lot cheaper. :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    No matter where you join, you will after joining have to attend a range orientation session with an appointed member of the club you are joining. After that orientation session, you are issued a piece of paper that you take to the range house when the range badge processing is available (check calendar). THen you pay the range the fee and take picture and get badge.
    When scheduling the range orientaion, make sure the range badge processing is available when you are done so you don't have to wait another day or week or whatever before you come back and get your badge.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You can join Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association (one annual meeting but not required to attend and is also CMP affiliated) on-line and take the range orientation on the 3rd Saturday of the month at 2PM (or make arrangements for another day).

If you are looking for a more active club, you can look at Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club (juniors programs, two club sponsored shooting events each month, 3 food events each year, smallbore league, trap league, etc).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Isn't OP (given today's date) better off waiting for 2018 range badge availability?

Probably available in November, thinking probably the latter part. Not exactly sure how they work the November/December 2017 timeframe with a 2018 badge.

The 2018 badge (once available) would PROBABLY allow new member to shoot immediately upon issue.

Does anyone know for sure how the AGC works these late year deals? I know they do a "grace period" of time the other way regarding renewals, which is typically the month of January.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Isn't OP (given today's date) better off waiting for 2018 range badge availability?

Probably available in November, thinking probably the latter part. Not exactly sure how they work the November/December 2017 timeframe with a 2018 badge.

The 2018 badge (once available) would PROBABLY allow new member to shoot immediately upon issue.

Does anyone know for sure how the AGC works these late year deals? I know they do a "grace period" of time the other way regarding renewals, which is typically the month of January.

We tell our new members to hold off until about Mid-November and get the new year 'badge/sticker'.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    We tell our new members to hold off until about Mid-November and get the new year 'badge/sticker'.

Yes, that seems to be the norm. I THINK that once 2018 badges become available for issue or renewal, and once range orientation is completed by the new member's club, the new member can shoot for the balance of 2017. But don't quote me on that because I am not certain how that's worked.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking about the BRC since aafg is a RIDICULOUS process just to plink every once and a while.

To verify I'm getting it right, to join up I'd have to go Jan 21st to sign up, and then can do my walk the 22nd, buying my badge that day. Does that mean I can get range time after that or do I need to wait some trial period or something? I'm originally from Calvert where you would just go to your friend's yard and shoot, so all this club nonsense is a little over the top imho.

I work as a full time nurse at the hospital and am back in school for my doctorate, so it seems as if BRC doesn't have much in the way of required meetings and dates from the cursory look I gave it. Anyone have any experience with RSO's, the community and so on?

Edit: I live in the heart of Annapolis pretty much, so if you know a closer range/option, feel free to shout out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking about the BRC since aafg is a RIDICULOUS process just to plink every once and a while.

To verify I'm getting it right, to join up I'd have to go Jan 21st to sign up, and then can do my walk the 22nd, buying my badge that day. Does that mean I can get range time after that or do I need to wait some trial period or something? I'm originally from Calvert where you would just go to your friend's yard and shoot, so all this club nonsense is a little over the top imho.

I work as a full time nurse at the hospital and am back in school for my doctorate, so it seems as if BRC doesn't have much in the way of required meetings and dates from the cursory look I gave it. Anyone have any experience with RSO's the community and so on?

Once you join a club and complete your range orientation you can buy your range badge and start shooting right then. Take a look at he range rules online to get familiar with them. There is also dimensions on the AGC website for the target frames or you can buy a frame from the AGC, one of the clubs builds them to raise money for the juniors' program. The 2018 range badge will be $180. Most of the people there are very friendly and helpful.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

I work as a full time nurse at the hospital and am back in school for my doctorate, so it seems as if BRC doesn't have much in the way of required meetings and dates from the cursory look I gave it. Anyone have any experience with RSO's, the community and so on?

Edit: I live in the heart of Annapolis pretty much, so if you know a closer range/option, feel free to shout out.

BRC has a walk-through nov 19th http://www.baltimorerifleclub.com/membership.html

They are usually pretty good if you email them if someone is free they can do a walk through appointment as well.

You might email them and ask the 2018 badge policy, since it is effectively November. I am not 100% sure what the policy is now, but you might just might be able to get the 2018 range badge Nov 19th and it is also good for the remaining few weeks of 2017. You can be shooting the day of your walkthrough so bring your stuff. I cannot recall how much the target frames are, I'd guess $40 and proceeds go to one of the clubs. They are not hard to build either.

Mursey

Aug 23, 2017
    BRC has a walk-through nov 19th http://www.baltimorerifleclub.com/membership.html

They are usually pretty good if you email them if someone is free they can do a walk through appointment as well.

You might email them and ask the 2018 badge policy, since it is effectively November. I am not 100% sure what the policy is now, but you might just might be able to get the 2018 range badge Nov 19th and it is also good for the remaining few weeks of 2017. You can be shooting the day of your walkthrough so bring your stuff. I cannot recall how much the target frames are, I'd guess $40 and proceeds go to one of the clubs. They are not hard to build either.

I had read that, but I wasn't sure if I needed to previously attend a meeting to be able to sign up before the walkthrough. I guess I read it wrong and thought I had to attend the annual meeting and then go for a walk through, rather than doing one or the other. I'll drop them a line though, sounds like it might get prorated if I wait until November.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I had read that, but I wasn't sure if I needed to previously attend a meeting to be able to sign up before the walkthrough. I guess I read it wrong and thought I had to attend the annual meeting and then go for a walk through, rather than doing one or the other. I'll drop them a line though, sounds like it might get prorated if I wait until November.

BRC there are "No meetings with mandatory attendance". I think that the club motto is less talk more shooting or something to that effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom