• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Does anyone remember a while back, firearms news (then shotgun news) doing the multi part series on a scratch built 9mm carbine (sgn9) and single shot 22(sgn22)? Better yet has anyone attempted either build or something similar?

I keep referring back to both of these builds in the shotgun news gunsmithing projects book and am thinking about possibly taking one of these builds on. Mainly the .22 but do it as a magazine fed semi auto instead of the single shot auto ejector described in the article, it doesn’t seem too far off.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Those builds were interesting. I think the 9mm was based upon a Suomi kit. But, if I recall, he used sten mags so it involved a complete fabrication of a mag well and release. It seems that combining some STEN parts would have simplified it a great deal. Those builds seemed to stress keeping the cost down while in fact using a well equipped machine shop and a month of Sundays to avoid purchasing $20 worth of additional parts.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    I definitely got that feel from the articles. Just something to get the gears turning... got plans scribbled out for a 45acp carbine using 1911 mags and 16” 1911 barrel as the base, probably an ar trigger set as well

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Another interesting home built resource are the books by Holmes. I think they were published by Paladin press originally. He made and sold small quantities of his designs as well. I think he got in trouble with the ATF for something related to this where something was readily (or already) converted to full auto. One of the major issues with homebuilt designs is that something like .45ACP is a good starting point due to its relatively low pressure but that can lead to a fire control parts design that is too close to full auto for legal comfort. In other words, the single shot blow back is but a feeding device away from being a machine gun. The AR fire control parts have been used by some home builders for non-AR designs since they are readily identifiable as a legal design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom