• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    ^^^. Lots of that sentiment...can’t argue with success.
    I see it both ways. If I want a bedside gun (in a quick-open safe) or a sidearm to abuse during a carbine class when I'm hitting the dirt going prone (etc.), I'm not sure I want a $500 Glock 19 when I could just as easily use a $300 Ruger. I ran a carbine class with a 1911 once, and that was just a huge mistake... took more abuse than I realized just wearing it.

OTOH, I'm heavily invested in Glock mags at this point, so being able to re-use those is a major selling point for me. So, much the same way that being able to use CZ-75/Tanfo mags is a big deal for me with steel guns, I definitely wish more pistol manufacturers would just suck it up and go with Glock mags. There's no patent issues, those expired like 15 years ago for the Gen3 mags.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That said, I see no reason to buy a plastic handgun that isn't a Glock.

I have owned and shot Glocks. I don't own anymore Glocks. I don't appreciate getting pelted with spent brass every time I shot a Glock 19. The Glock 35 is supposed to be a competition pistol, but I couldn't group with it on a stage, so that's gone. All of my plastic guns are CZ now.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Why do all these plastic pistols look like squirt guns I had back in the early 60s?

Ruger used to stand for innovation, but since Bill died, there's been precious little innovation. Just more of the same.

Stopping the production of the Security-Six was their biggest blunder. The GPs that replaced them are boat anchors. Steel underlugs that make the gun little more than a range gun. It's too heavy to use for hunting and the guns are front heavy and off balance. The S&W 686s are far better guns and are intrinsically more accurate. Articles in gun magazines that praised the Security-Six and S&W 66 6-inch revolvers for their great hunting prowess suddenly went silent as the new guns were too heavy and too off balance to do well in hunting. Who wants to lug them around in the field? The 2.75- and 4-inch Security-Sixes were great protection against bears when fishing or camping. But no one wants to haul the new guns into the wild.

The new plastic guns all look like variations of Glocks, and I think they're dangerous. Cops have shown that they can't keep their fingers off the triggers and accidental shootings have skyrocketed. The guy who was shot while being cuffed -- the one who died while NOT resisting arrest because a cop who was assisting accidentally pushed the trigger on his Glock. Or the cop who accidentally dropped his Glock as he was preparing to clean it. Had he let the gun go he would have been fine, but he accidentally touched the trigger, causing it to go off and killing him. Striker-fired guns are cheap to make and they're robust, but they go off too easily in my view.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Why do all these plastic pistols look like squirt guns I had back in the early 60s?

Ruger used to stand for innovation, but since Bill died, there's been precious little innovation. Just more of the same.

Stopping the production of the Security-Six was their biggest blunder. The GPs that replaced them are boat anchors. Steel underlugs that make the gun little more than a range gun. It's too heavy to use for hunting and the guns are front heavy and off balance. The S&W 686s are far better guns and are intrinsically more accurate. Articles in gun magazines that praised the Security-Six and S&W 66 6-inch revolvers for their great hunting prowess suddenly went silent as the new guns were too heavy and too off balance to do well in hunting. Who wants to lug them around in the field? The 2.75- and 4-inch Security-Sixes were great protection against bears when fishing or camping. But no one wants to haul the new guns into the wild.

The new plastic guns all look like variations of Glocks, and I think they're dangerous. Cops have shown that they can't keep their fingers off the triggers and accidental shootings have skyrocketed. The guy who was shot while being cuffed -- the one who died while NOT resisting arrest because a cop who was assisting accidentally pushed the trigger on his Glock. Or the cop who accidentally dropped his Glock as he was preparing to clean it. Had he let the gun go he would have been fine, but he accidentally touched the trigger, causing it to go off and killing him. Striker-fired guns are cheap to make and they're robust, but they go off too easily in my view.

I agree with some of this, but I believe this is a hammer-fired gun, not striker... if that matters, given the way it is implemented. I wonder if the first pull is harder than the rest? Everyone reviewing it seems to pre-half-cock it, or whatever.

Honestly, I like the hammer idea. It is kind of ugly, like a Remington 9mm is ugly, but not that bad.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 4” GP-100 is 0.3 oz heavier that a 4” 686 - both with heavy under lug barrels. Not exactly a hip battering difference. Both were developed to address high volume shooting of high intensity loads. A 4” M-66 is 3 oz. lighter that the same length 357 L-frames. Number od steps will add up for sure...but it ends up being preference. Some find the balance of those barrels an asset.

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Marlene Jenkins said one has not been submitted yet. Where did you get your information?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

While I am sorry to hear that you will not support or purchase Ruger products, I will say, Ruger of today is not the same company as when Bill Sr. was around. I know that this does not stop the perpetuation of these feelings.

Disclosure: I work for Ruger, but none of my opinions are that of the Company (my office shares a wall with the CEO). I know the culture of the company and people here, and the position expressed in that article is nowhere to be found here. If you want a good look into the corporate culture, I suggest you read the following article:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4140535-shot-show-2018-ruger-right-mix-people-products-processes

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    While I am sorry to hear that you will not support or purchase Ruger products, I will say, Ruger of today is not the same company as when Bill Sr. was around. I know that this does not stop the perpetuation of these feelings.

Disclosure: I work for Ruger, but none of my opinions are that of the Company (my office shares a wall with the CEO). I know the culture of the company and people here, and the position expressed in that article is nowhere to be found here. If you want a good look into the corporate culture, I suggest you read the following article:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4140535-shot-show-2018-ruger-right-mix-people-products-processes

Well good to know. My first handgun was an SR9C. Later I read about the magazine capacity issue and was livid. I hate gun grabbers and infringers with a passion, but I can be reasoned with.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert

I am always glad to see you pop in from time to time. I hope all is well up north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom