• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yeah that's almost the goal. She came to me with interest in learning guns and to shoot, so I know she enjoys it. She just so happen to pick the unexpected 22 of all calibers and it through me off.
    It is the perfect starter gun and it is ABSOLUTELY what I would start a new shooter off with, man, woman or child.

Many will find, once they really get comfortable with that, they want to push the envelope a little more. Sometimes that is hours, perhaps weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years. I figure, as long as they enjoy shooting whatever they choose, it's a good thing and heck.. 22 ammo is cheap too! :lol:

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    No doubt about the ammo being cheap. Id imagine that's why many people use 22 for plinkers. You can plink all day withI the cost of ammo.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It is a great starter gun because it's not intimidating (especially to ladies), it's easy to handle and wield, and it's easy to coach someone, see their mistakes as they shoot and get them proficient quickly. Sometimes they just like shooting that little 22 plinker, but you know what, I shoot my 22's regularly too.. lol

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I enjoy my friends 15-22 sport as well, I just got a thing for bigger booms so I never wanted a 22 personally. But it appears one is going to enter the house.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No doubt about the ammo being cheap. Id imagine that's why many people use 22 for plinkers. You can plink all day withI the cost of ammo.
    Exactly.. I use the 22 to train often because it's cheap and I don't have to worry about recovering the brass, though I do try to, even 22 cases. It's not obnoxiously loud, easy to handle the recoil and you can focus on the other form items that are harder to focus on when the gun goes "boom" (especially for the ladies, they tend to anticipate and fear that a little and it's not a good way to start them off).

Get some high velocity ammo and let her get comfortable with that.. it's loud (relatively) and some of the 1400-1500fps 22 ammo is very lethal. I kill critters with it all the time. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I enjoy my friends 15-22 sport as well, I just got a thing for bigger booms so I never wanted a 22 personally. But it appears one is going to enter the house.
    We are guys, we like big booms... ladies, not so much for the most part... :lol2:

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    This is one area where i think a small cabine like the beretta cx4 storm or keltek sub2k shines. Smaller than a rifle in her hands, same controls and same rounds as a beretta or glock pistol, swappable magazines, small profile for home defense, with control of a multipoint grip, and a great gateway to the mainstream pistols. Not only that but you get a very cool combination platform afterwards. One more worth mentioning is the mechtec upper and a glock lower... Though at some point down this line you can inventory a whole gun shop....

This said, i have never won when second guessing my wife and have to put my vote in with the .22 crowd

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Here's one other thing she can try:. Double up on ear protection. A lot of people are more scared by the noise, like you said. Get her a decent set of electronic ear muffs, then also use ear plugs. Works great to hear each other on the range, but the hearing protection is stronger.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Never knew a 22 had hollows. Thanks for the knowledge.
    Get some CCI Velocitors, or Aguila Interceptors. They are premium 22 ammo, but what I load with for a 22 carry. Both are quite lethal on small game and a couple of those in your chest would make for a really bad day.

Look at it this way.... if you want her to carry for personal protection, the LAST thing you want is for her to be in ANY WAY intimidated by the weapon of choice in that instant when she may have to draw and fire it in her defense. It could mean the difference between life and perhaps death.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Here's one other thing she can try:. Double up on ear protection. A lot of people are more scared by the noise, like you said. Get her a decent set of electronic ear muffs, then also use ear plugs. Works great to hear each other on the range, but the hearing protection is stronger.
    I do this on those dreaded days when I shoot indoors.. ;)

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017

I kind of want her to hear some of the boom because if she ever has to defend herself nobody is going to give her a moment to put her ears in. I will try ear plugs instead of the headphone type

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Get some CCI Velocitors, or Aguila Interceptors. They are premium 22 ammo, but what I load with for a 22 carry. Both are quite lethal on small game and a couple of those in your chest would make for a really bad day.

Look at it this way.... if you want her to carry for personal protection, the LAST thing you want is for her to be in ANY WAY intimidated by the weapon of choice in that instant when she may have to draw and fire it in her defense. It could mean the difference between life and perhaps death.

You guy's are right, I'll just have to get over many people telling me my entire life to not have a 22 for self defense purposes.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Nobody can tell me that an unarmored person can take 10 CCI Mini-Mags to the chest and live. If your wife can put ten of ten in the 8, 9, and 10 rings with a 22 at ten yards, she is a killing machine. Precision and accuracy will always triumph over caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Nobody can tell me that an unarmored person can take 10 CCI Mini-Mags to the chest and live. If your wife can put ten of ten in the 8, 9, and 10 rings with a 22 at ten yards, she is a killing machine. Precision and accuracy will always triumph over caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you just gave her a argument dude, she was reading this and learned she could be a (killing machine) with her 22.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You guy's are right, I'll just have to get over many people telling me my entire life to not have a 22 for self defense purposes.
    It isn't the best choice, but first and foremost, you need to be carrying a weapon that you are intimately familiar with and comfortable with. It needs to be instinctive, period. It takes time and a lot of practice to become instinct. Caliber is more of an argument than a valid decision maker, in my opinion. Any bullet to the vitals will cause massive damage and slow down the attacker. A few of a small caliber will stop him/her/it.. lol

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I kind of want her to hear some of the boom because if she ever has to defend herself nobody is going to give her a moment to put her ears in. I will try ear plugs instead of the headphone type

She won't hear a thing if she ever has to defend herself. Adrenaline will take over. What's more important is getting her comfortable shooting and practicing. Ask any new hunter if the noise of the rifle kill shot bothered them.

Ear plugs are generally weaker then muffs. Indoor shooting makes the noise seem worse. Maybe try an outdoor range if you want to stick with one type of ear protection?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

She'll be fine if she gets good with it.

She'll get good with it if she uses it.

She'll use it if she likes it.

With all of the above, she'll benefit most from increasing exposure and proper training. Those are the things you want to key on for her.

You take care of these things, and the rest will take care of itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom