• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    What is the advantage of a "Tactical" scope in the 1-6x20(or 24mm) range compared to a normal scope such as the Leupold VX-1 or 2 in 2-7x33? I understand better light transmission with a 30mm tube vs a 1" tube. But the smaller objective lens of the tactical models seem to negate the benefit of a 30mm tube. The tactical scopes are often more expense than what I can get that Leupold(VX-1 at least) for and they generally weigh more too. I personally have no problem acquiring and hitting close targets on the Leupold 2x power but Ive never shot a 3 gun match or been through any tactical classes. Is it the "tactical" name that makes them popular or are they really better than normal scopes? Is it just personal preference? I will need a scope or two pretty soon and would like some good input from folks who maybe have used both more than I have. They will be on rifles used mostly just for plinking, but could be pressed into a self defense role if things got bad. Thanks in advance!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The big difference is the reticle. A tactical reticle has marks that allow for precise hold offs.

Also the exposed turrets allow adjustments with just fingers. But this is typically less important for the 1-4x and 1-6x scope that are used at shorter distances.

Also, with speed events, you don't want to take the time to dial corrections.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    one thing is the magnification range. for tactical (and competition such as 2 & 3 gun) you want the scope to go down to a true 1x so you can blast the close stuff fast. harder to pick up close stuff at 2x, 3x, etc. then, you want the scope to go to 4, 6 or even now 8x to let you see and hit the far stuff. so that is a larger magnification range than your example 2-7x above. that needs nicer glass so costs more and weighs more.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Marketing.

Pick a scope that meets your needs for the type of shooting/hunting you plan on doing. That being all my hunting/field rifles have mildot reticles. But I use then for holdovers out to 400 yards on big game, further on Prairie Dogs.

Good Luck

Jerry

Major03

Ultimate Member
    FWIW, I would go less with the label and more with the glass quality and features. As a rule of thumb, for the same price, you generally get better quality of glass with less features.

Basically, “tactical” scopes should be more rugged and have exposed and easily adjustible turrets designed to be used to dial elevation and wind age adjustments frequently and go back to zero. Also they should have magnification ranges most appropriate to either long range or closer in quick engagement (depending on the purpose of the rifle).
    They should also have better glass with higher resolution.

Unfortunately, now a days it’s often marketing hype in the lower cost scopes (and some of the higher cost ones too). Buyer beware, because the more features you get with low cost generally means they cut costs in QC and glass (and usually both)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I believe a tactical scope also has turrets that allow you to adjust elev/win without having to unscrew caps. Will typically have graduated a reticle so you can est. range to target and then spin dials accordingly. For hunting scopes you typically do a hold over.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the other context of "tactical" ie looooong range , it is implied for the scope adjustments to be both repeatable , and move poi exactly the stated amount for each click .

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for the responses guys. I see the advantages now. My style of shooting so far would not be utilizing the advantages of the tactical scope it seems. I don't shoot long distance, I've never needed mil dots, and once I set a scope I don't mess with the turrets. I think I might try a tactical scope in the near future but for now another one or two Leupold 2-7x33 appears to fit my needs. What brands and models of tactical scopes would you guys recommend checking out? I like the looks of the Vortex Strike Eagle, but that might be because it's one of the cheapest.

Thanks again guys for the great info!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    On the topic of 1" vs 30mm tubes: You don't necessarily get more light through a 30mm tube, but it does give more room for elevation adjustments. Okay, windage too, but that's not usually an issue.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    In addition to regular and tactical scopes Leupold also sells a "hog" scope with a pig plex reticle.
    I'm holding off getting it and am waiting for a tactical hog scope to be introduced.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Everything else equal , a 30mm will transmit more light.

Alas , everything else is far from equal . Beyond the inherent factors of objective size and magnification, the quality of the glass and coatings is the big factor .

Added - Indeed, if your shooting style has your having desired zero for particular load, and then leaving alone , you don't have need for finger adjustable turrets, or super precise click adjustments .

Added - Indeed if your shooting style involves zeroing with particular load, and leaving there, you don't need finger adjust turrets, or super precise click values .

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm GUESSING tactical refers to turrets and mildot reticle drop holdovers, compared to a simple crosshair scope.

If you're going to be adjusting for shots at various long distances you will need adjustable turrets and a mildot reticle. If you're just shooting deer at 100y a simple hunting scope will do.

And...if you actually are looking at a tactical perspective, I second the idea of a 1-4x scope with long eye relief for up close

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do 30mm scopes provide better light transmission?
    It is possible for a 30mm scope to have slightly better light transmission and low-light performance than an equivalent 1 inch scope due to the difference in possible lens sizes. But the differences in light transmission are minimal. A better indication of light transmission and low-light performance is quality of optical components and objective lens size.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/ohota/blog/RS_tube_size_matters_but_not_much

According to Zeiss' sales representative in Norway, and this woman knows optics, there's no noticeable difference in light transmission in 30mm tubes vs 1". As the light passing through the tube is a aprox 3-4mm in diameter it wouldn't really matter whether you have 1", 26mm, 30mm or 34mm...

And according to Swarovski, they could make a scope with a 19mm tube with the same light transmission as on their 30mm scopes. A friend of mine has been at some course at the Swarovski plant in Tirol, three times, I believe - and each time the question about light transmission in 1" vs 30mm has been asked, and each time the answer has been "no difference".

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    On the topic of 1" vs 30mm tubes: You don't necessarily get more light through a 30mm tube, but it does give more room for elevation adjustments. Okay, windage too, but that's not usually an issue.

^^^^^
    This, if you are shooting long range you might run out of elevation adjustment. Most tactical long range scopes have 70-140moa total. You can always use a 20moa base to help compensate.

JaegerJason

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 1, 2018
    Close Tactical

Any suggestions for close and medium range combos? I've got a hunting rifle with a big scope for long distances. For close range I've generally just used iron sites. For an AR platform, though, I'm thinking 'shoot them over there before they get to me, but keep shooting if they make it in.' What is the best option for that? A reflex on top of a 1-5x? A laser and a scope? Most of the things I'm seeing look gimmicky, but maybe I'm just getting old.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Any suggestions for close and medium range combos? I've got a hunting rifle with a big scope for long distances. For close range I've generally just used iron sites. For an AR platform, though, I'm thinking 'shoot them over there before they get to me, but keep shooting if they make it in.' What is the best option for that? A reflex on top of a 1-5x? A laser and a scope? Most of the things I'm seeing look gimmicky, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Assuming you have a flat top I'll recommend what I did: Leupold VX-R patrol with good (LaRue) QD mount + folding BUIS (Larue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom