• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    I've been in love with this caliber since my first SKS (a gorgeous lacquered Russian). There's something viscerally satisfying about shooting this round. The smooth pushy recoil and challenge of doping the drop makes these more fun on the range than nearly everything else I own.

With each rifle purchase, I thought I'd scratched the itch. Then something new hits the market and I find myself filling my safe with yet another. Seems I'm not the only one obsessed with 7.62x39. Seems like every manufacturer's got something in this chambering nowadays; Public must be eating them up too.

It didn't really occur to me that I may have a problem, until yesterday when I was "fondling" my latest acquisition (CZ 527M). I counted 6 rifles and 2 AR uppers. Maybe that's not a lot to some folks, but my collection is pretty modest, and that's ~40% of my entire inventory.

I've heard the first step to overcoming addiction is to admit you have a problem; now I've done that.

Also heard remorse is the first step towards absolution; this one's gonna be tougher.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It is a fun round to shoot. Different percussive quality and it feels like a push (even if there is slightly sharper recoil from a CZ 527 vs SKS).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I put together my first AR in 7.62x39 last year.
    The mag issues have been resolved and it's a blast to shoot.
    I even have 2 bolt action rifles in 7.62x39.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Probably one of the best rounds for work under 150 yards balancing punch and recoil ever made.

A lot of people are just starting to understand how good it is in a bolt gun.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Can y'all shut up with the 7.62x39 love and admiration.

Been making myself not buy a shiny new bolt gun.

MDS has some good qualities.

Helping folks to save money on rifles, scopes, and cases of the greatest cartridge known to mankind ain't one of them.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can y'all shut up with the 7.62x39 love and admiration.

Been making myself not buy a shiny new bolt gun.

MDS has some good qualities.

Helping folks to save money on rifles, scopes, and cases of the greatest cartridge known to mankind ain't one of them.

Remington 799, barrels were made by Zastava, stocks by Remington.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Remington 799, barrels were made by Zastava, stocks by Remington.

Yup love mine, shoots like a dream but you have to load the magazine just so or the rounds don't feed well, its a length issue. Though the CZ is probably an even better gun and doesn't have the feed issue.

MikeyIdaho

Aug 6, 2018
    Picking up my new Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 this Friday haha. Got a case of 7.62x39 I couldn't let myself get rid of, getting a new rifle to use it made more sense.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I love my Howa mini action in M43 7.62x39, it's awesome. Wish I could say otherwise, been hating all things combloc as long as I can remember, but it's a sweet bolt action caliber.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Sirex