• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    So a Virginia Delegate (D) from the 76 District Suffolk City has offered HB964 that addresses a convicted felon re-establishing his firearm rights? WTF? I hope I'm interpreting this bill incorrectly. A convicted felon should NEVER get firearm rights back. fred55 Bill summary posted below:

2020 SESSION

HB 964 Firearms; restoration of rights of persons convicted of violent felonies.

Introduced by: Clinton L. Jenkins | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles
    SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:

Firearms; restoration of rights of persons convicted of violent felonies. Provides that a person who has been convicted of an act of violence or a violent felony may not petition for a restoration order that unconditionally authorizes possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm, ammunition for a firearm, or a stun weapon until one year after his civil rights have been restored by the Governor or other appropriate authority. The bill further provides that if such person is convicted of a violent misdemeanor, defined in the bill, after his civil rights have been restored, then he may not petition for such order until two years after the date of conviction.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If they're safe enough to be on the streets, they get every God given right.

If they're not safe enough to own a weapon, they should be in prison.

Maybe not the most popular opinion...

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    If they did their time they paid their price. Asking as they are non violent offenders I see nothing wrong with them having the right to bear arms. In fact I’m in complete support of it. Just my 2 cents

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    If they're safe enough to be on the streets, they get every God given right.

If they're not safe enough to own a weapon, they should be in prison.

Maybe not the most popular opinion...

I agree with this 100%. If they can vote, then they should be able to carry.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    So if your red flagged your prohibited . If the age limit is raised you cant purchase a gun but you can fight for your country but cant carry at home or on base . But a felon is released from jail for the first time second time etc. you can carry a gun.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    I’m gonna go with this being introduced for far more nefarious reasons that the “average” person isn’t thinking of. But I will give a hint, all the talk of patriots starting a militia with local law enforcement, don’t think the left isn’t thinking the exact same thing only they aren’t publicizing it Who better to round up the guns if the local LEO won’t, than the gangbanger demographic that the left seems to adore.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The bill sort of reads as if whoever commits a violent crime has to wait longer for their firearm rights to be restored even if their other rights are restored. I don't know what the current law is in this regard.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    The bill sort of reads as if whoever commits a violent crime has to wait longer for their firearm rights to be restored even if their other rights are restored. I don't know what the current law is in this regard.

If that is the case, longer wait times, I'm all for it. I don't know the current wait times, and my legalese is not very good. I'll reach out to the patron of the bill and see what he says. fred55

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my thought is if one commits a violent, premeditated (eg rape, bank robbery, mugging, etc, whether with guns, knives or fists etc) crime, they should never get out of jail. this would really help solve the crime problems. and then we wouldn't have to worry about felons getting their hands on guns.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA

If that is the case, longer wait times, I'm all for it. I don't know the current wait times, and my legalese is not very good. I'll reach out to the patron of the bill and see what he says. fred55

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

That said I sort of lean toward if you're still a threat to society you stay locked up. If you're released then by definition you're not a threat anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom