• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davisnader

Nov 27, 2019
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Hello I'm currently in MD but close enough to VA to where it wont be too much of a problem for me to hop on over.

How does forest target shooting work in VA?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Target shooting on national forest lands is only allowed on the established ranges.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/sighting-in-ranges/

I occasionally shoot at Hite Hollow in Augusta County when I'm down there. There are no ROs there. There are bullet holes going both directions in the ceiling, benches, and latrine. The rifle side is usually crowded on weekends, so I avoid it, but I can sometimes have the pistol side to myself, sometimes after a short wait for someone to finish up.

Roof on rifle side. I think there are five or six shooting benches. There are no target holders provided, but there are steel posts where you can tie string. I believe they're at 75yd, 100yd, and 150yd. The range runs uphill pretty steep as far as ranges go.
    q0tlotsl.jpg

Benches behind shooting benches on pistol side. There are two shooting benches. I think the steel posts are at 25yd.
    xBHN6RXl.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Check VA DNR web site. I wouldn't during deer season.

I heard lots of gunfire coming from Hite Hollow and a nearby private gun club while hunting public land there last week, so I guess the locals shoot anyway. I'm not sure about the other National Forest or WMA ranges though.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The locals down where I live have warned me to avoid the national forest ranges. I've been told they're crowded with idiots on the weekends and during the week they tend to draw nut jobs when it's quiet.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads