• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Anyone else have issue with random shooting in their areas during archery season? I have a farm I hunt that is surrounded by other farms. No public shooting ranges anywhere close. Most evenings I hunt the farm I will hear 5-10 maybe 50-75 shots a night. Sometimes I can tell its a shotgun, or someone shooting clip after clip from a pistol, or the shots fired from a rifle spaced apart about the time it would be for sighting in. But then there's the occasional single shot from a very large caliber rifle that will have my ears ringing that I find odd. Makes me wonder if they are target practicing or whacking a deer.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Anyone else have issue with random shooting in their areas during archery season? I have a farm I hunt that is surrounded by other farms. No public shooting ranges anywhere close. Most evenings I hunt the farm I will hear 5-10 maybe 50-75 shots a night. Sometimes I can tell its a shotgun, or someone shooting clip after clip from a pistol, or the shots fired from a rifle spaced apart about the time it would be for sighting in. But then there's the occasional single shot from a very large caliber rifle that will have my ears ringing that I find odd. Makes me wonder if they are target practicing or whacking a deer.

crop damage shooting probably

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you really think its scaring deer away? If they are target shooting and they are scaring deer, that might drive them to you. It could also be conditioning the deer to just hear the noise. By AGC, I have seen deer in the evening, on the hill above the Barnes 100 yard range. All that shooting is not bothering them cause they never got hit or heard the sound followed by a herd member lying on the ground.

Farm a mile away has crop damage permit and deer shotgun hunts as well as good hunts from time to time.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    About five years ago at AGC range I was shooting my .44 mag. on the pistol range. A mature doe almost walked in front of my line of fire. I had to stop she would not leave. I had to throw rocks at her to get her leave. Maybe she was deaf, I would have been from a 44 blast!

tom b

Oct 2, 2011

I'm not a hunter but shoot several times a week on my property, everything from handguns, full auto, shotguns and rifles. This time of year I can hear gun fire almost daily from surrounding farms.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I'm not a hunter but shoot several times a week on my property, everything from handguns, full auto, shotguns and rifles. This time of year I can hear gun fire almost daily from surrounding farms.

That's what I think the majority of it is. I hunted sat evening in the rain and figured that would stop them, but nope they continue to shoot until about 5:15... I don't mind target shooting but usually do it in fair weather, but maybe I"m not as hardcore as some others.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Do you really think its scaring deer away? If they are target shooting and they are scaring deer, that might drive them to you. It could also be conditioning the deer to just hear the noise. By AGC, I have seen deer in the evening, on the hill above the Barnes 100 yard range. All that shooting is not bothering them cause they never got hit or heard the sound followed by a herd member lying on the ground.

Farm a mile away has crop damage permit and deer shotgun hunts as well as good hunts from time to time.

I've seen them eating on the Barnes Range on the far left while people are shooting, they don't seem to care a bit

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Its the sound of freedom. Honestly I've never noticed deer to be impacted by it. Just like the horses I've hunted around for a long time. They could care less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom