• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have been debating between these pistols for quite awhile. either way i want to go new. from what i have read the sig is the more reliable pistol but i just cant get over the look of the 92 AFS, that stainless steel just makes be drool. looking for first hand experience here

Thanks in advanced!
    JOMA

and yes i have used The Google with the question and found some opinions i just wanna see what yall think

You would really consider looks over reliability?? Really??? I take it you're an AR guy too.

red_

Dec 4, 2016
    I owned the Sig, but not the Taurus. That said, the Sig was a wonderful gun, a pleasure to hold, fun to shoot and even pretty simple to double tap with some practice!

Biggest Takeaway here though: you said yourself one looks better but you’ve heard one performs better. On that alone, I’m going with the choice that performs better, especially if the one that looks appealing doesn’t go bang the first time! Besides, you don’t want any potential aggressors seeing something pretty, then wanting it even more :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Has anybody seen documented evidence of reliability issues on the PT92? I understand that other Taurus firearms have had quality issues in the past, but I've not come across any related to the PT92. They used Beretta's plant and designs to make this gun. I personally think it's an improvement on the original Beretta design because the safety/decocker moved from the slide to the frame.
    My PT92 is a joy to shoot, accurate, easy to maintain, and was very affordable.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I don't know that either of those would be bad choices, but I have to ask why rule out used guns? You can get a lot more bang for your buck so to speak given your search criteria.

One option would a 3rd gen S&W, like a Model 5906. Lots of used LE trades floating around under your budget with room left to buy ammo.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    2022 was the first pistol I bought. Compared to my Glocks, S&W, Remington. and Ruger pistols it is best! Most shootable, fit and balance. Would buy again. My $.02

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Has anybody seen documented evidence of reliability issues on the PT92? I understand that other Taurus firearms have had quality issues in the past, but I've not come across any related to the PT92. They used Beretta's plant and designs to make this gun. I personally think it's an improvement on the original Beretta design because the safety/decocker moved from the slide to the frame.
    My PT92 is a joy to shoot, accurate, easy to maintain, and was very affordable.

The only guns I have heard that have had issues with is their own designs. The one offs of proven platforms whether revolver or semi auto have worked as well as the original designs and some cases exceeded. Personally I think my 92 AFS overall is better than the one I carried on Duty as an MP

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    I sold my pt92, very reliable, only 1 ftf ever with reloads, in 6-800 rounds for break in, no cleaning. easy to disassemble. not accurate enough for my spinner target, accurate enough to use for defense. big grip.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I just realized we've all been kinda slackin' in our recommendations...it shouldn't be which one to buy. It should be which one to buy first.:innocent0

(And the answer is whichever the OP finds a deal on, first;))

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not very familiar with the Sig, but I have a mid 80's PT92 never a problem from it. It is a bit large for the caliber, but your not likely to carry it, so it will serve well for HD and range gun.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Here is a really objective video comparing the Beretta M9 to the Taurus PT92. https://youtu.be/jJ9MXIU36as
    I think it says a lot about the PT92 design and quality.

Considering they pretty much copied the Italian Beretta except the Safety and magwell. It is a solid gun. it does not have the fit and finish of the Italian Beretta, the fit is good the finish is OK but the PT92 or other beretta clones by Taurus are pretty much on par with anything the italians put out performance wise.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Hi point is the only gun I would count lower than those sigs. The small grip is too small, the large grip is shaped like a triangle, they had several generations of slide release springs, the first 2 of which can leave you with a single shot, they have rubber grommets that when they fall out they leave you without a functional trigger, and with a 3 inch long slide release, it is very easy to ride it so the slide doesn’t lock back. It also has a notch in the grip so the magazine base plate completes the grip. If you do mag changes with any speed and you have normal to large hands you will pinch the hell out of your pinky.

I would take almost any pistol over the 2340/2022.

The PT92 is a good gun, far better than the sig you are looking at.

If I really wanted a sig, I would stick with a classic model.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To set the history straight, the Taraus PT is not a * Clone * of a M9 , or any Beretta M92 most of us have ever seen . It is a * Parallel Evolution * of the origonal M92 .

Taraus 92 mfg 1982-83 were exact clone of 1974 era Beretta M92 . Starting in the '80s the actual Beretta M92 went through several steps , culminating in the M92SBf , that was adopted by US mil as M9 . Starting in1984 , the Taraus 92 also has been through multiple evolutions , different from the Italian ones . Which evolution is "better" is a matter of opinion and preference .

Is the workmanship and QC of Taraus as good a Beretta?
    No . But it is better than most Taraus pistols , and generally acceptable .

My preferences ? I'm spoiled by having shot a Beretta that was hand fitted from scratch at Accockek as a personal favor to a fellow employee . It was far smoother than any regular production M92 . Various shooting partners had PT's . They all worked , their owners had no problems , and they seemed to me well within the range of average pistols.

Ultimately, I don't care for the M92 platform . But if I were so inclined , I would prefer the Taraus fire controls, and not be put off by quality . ( In contemporary designs , I'd rather have a CZ pattern , but that's a different endless discussion .)

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If you get a stainless 92, just don't think as I did (in my mid-20's), and think that Windex will make it even more shiny. It did -- until the slide began to flake.

Didn't know ammonia doesn't mix well with such a gun. Know now.

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    i already have a taurus model 66 and it is the best shooting handgun i have which is why i have been leaning towards the pt92. ive never had any personal experience with sigs. theres a lot of good info on the internet but first hand experience is the best thing

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    does anyone have any experience with a S&W 910 or 915? i dont wanna make a whole new thread asking about this gun. they seem to be solid guns and exactly what im looking for (double stack 9mm thats hammer fired)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom