• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ever on the search for .22 military trainers I finally found a nice example of a WWII Winchester 75T US trainer for a stupid great price. Sadly the stock was sanded at some point, enough to nearly remove the stock cartouches. They're still there but so light as to be nearly invisible. Most likely happened during a refurb but no way to verify that.
    It's got a Winchester 84A rear sight and the "mail box" 99A front sight, both parkerized. It probably had a plain dovetailed post sight originally and a Lyman 57E rear sight originally. The 84A is super tight, in cracking good condition. Again, perhaps added during a refit to replace a worn Lyman, who knows.
    The SN dates it to 1941 so that's bang on as 10,000 were completed that year. Sadly Winchester records of this period are pretty much nonexistent so there's a lot of speculation on the 75T as to martial marks. Plus they were in service until the Clinton years when all too many were sadly destroyed. That's why you don't see nearly as many as you would expect. And why so many survivors aren't in original configuration. Rebuilds and civilian owners changing out worn components or upgrading have muddied the waters a bit.
    It would be nice for someone to pick up where Tom Batha left off and publish a more comprehensive reference work for US military trainers. There certainly is a need for it!

Attachments

• IMGP8342.JPG
      IMGP8342.JPG
      23 KB · Views: 401
    • IMGP8345.JPG
      IMGP8345.JPG
      22.3 KB · Views: 385
    • IMGP8346.JPG
      IMGP8346.JPG
      43.9 KB · Views: 347
    • IMGP8343.JPG
      IMGP8343.JPG
      30.7 KB · Views: 353
    • IMGP8344.JPG
      IMGP8344.JPG
      34.5 KB · Views: 338
    • IMGP8337.JPG
      IMGP8337.JPG
      31.7 KB · Views: 341

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Very nice Mawkie, the military 75's are not that easy to find in good condition. As far as I know those sights would have been original to a 1941 production 75. I have a 1942 civilian version with those sights but I use a Unertl or Lyman Supertargetspot.
    When I shot the NRA program as a kid at the Quonset hut ranges on FT Meade the gun rooms were full of military trainer 75's, 513T's and a few 52's, all well used but still accurate
    Pics of mine which has an original blued finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpg
      IMG_1520.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 302
    • IMG_2277.jpg
      IMG_2277.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 289
    • IMG_2284.jpg
      IMG_2284.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 290
    • IMG_2286.jpg
      IMG_2286.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 289

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    My first rifle was a 75, though I don't recall a "T" designation. Very accurate, used it both to qualify and win a bunch of ribbons in junior matches at the old NRA range on Rhode Island Avenue. I still wince when reminded that I let it go. Like now.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Love the Unertl. A buddy has a Rem 513 with one. I have always wanted one of the trainers.

Nice find Mawkie

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Nice rifle!

I remember reading at one of my trips t the archives, the USMC purchased a lot of Winchester 75s in 1942 for training rifles. Initially they wanted the semi automatic Winchester 75s, but WRA wrote they wouldnt be able to produce them on schedule due to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Army wanted drastic a increase in their carbine contract and WRA was having trouble keeping up.

I can't remember if they ended up with the bolt action 75s as a result. I want to say I think they did end up with bolt action 75s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom