• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Won this last weekend at the auction in Union Bridge. Overall it was a fun day but it seemed like prices were all over the place. Lot's of good o'l country folk like me but with too much money to spend. Some decent rifles and pistols went for decent prices like two Colt 1903's went for $300 each, 1911's went for $1,200 and some sporting guns went for cheap, but jeez, some people really let their wallet take a beating. A heavily bubba'd and pimp shined M1 Carbine went for $700, a run of the mill refurb SVT-40 with a pitted bore went for $1,150, a terribly sharpened, polished and rusted Japanese Sword went for over $700 if I remember right and a host of other guns went for above estimated value. And the prices I mentioned were BEFORE the 10% Buyer's Premium, 6% Sales Tax and Transfer Fee. I ended up leaving about halfway through after I won something.

Anyway, there wasn't much there that I was interested in unfortunately but I spied this Fabrique Nationale made Sporter in .30-06 on the table. At first I thought it was a finely done bubba job, but I realized it was factory done. FN made sporting rifles from the late 40's through the 60's and supplied actions to a number of U.S. companies for them to use. This one is a complete FN rifle, not assembled off a barreled action. As far as I can tell it was probably made in the early 50's. It was so beautiful I had to have it.

I thought I had won it for $200 but somebody else decided to jump in at the last second and bid me up to my max of $450. I was a little annoyed but low and behold I won. With the buyer's premium, tax and transfer fee, I'm in it for about $550, so I might have paid a little too much. But heck, where else am I gonna find a nice FN made Mauser Sporting rifle for a good price? I was planning on buying one of Simpson's Husqvarna's, but none of them seemed as nice in this price range and I didn't want a sporter with an M96 Action. I prefer the M98 action such as this.

Hopefully it'll perform well for me in the woods this year. I wish it was drilled and tapped for a scope but I can always get another rifle if I want one with some glass on it. The Lyman 57SME it's got seems good enough for now. Unfortunately the buttplate looks like it has a little bit of damage. Does anybody know a good way to fill in the holes? I'm guessing dyed epoxy?

Attachments

• IMG_6143.jpg
      IMG_6143.jpg
      127.4 KB · Views: 691
    • IMG_6151.jpg
      IMG_6151.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 696
    • IMG_6166.jpg
      IMG_6166.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 728
    • IMG_6178.jpg
      IMG_6178.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 703
    • IMG_6208.jpg
      IMG_6208.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 691
    • IMG_6214.jpg
      IMG_6214.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 695
    • IMG_6229.jpg
      IMG_6229.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 684

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice rifle! people always overpay for stuff and blow it for you. The butt-plate looks like it might be made from made from horn. I would gently patch it with dyed acra- glas to match. It looks like the buehler safety is set up for a lefty and the trigger may have some work into it too. Its probably a good shooter and I wouldn't drill and tap it just because its an FN action. If it was a poorly done 98 I wouldn't worry about it but I wouldn't ruin that roll mark. You can get a modern beater to put a scope on for general use. They don't make them like that anymore.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice rifle! people always overpay for stuff and blow it for you. The butt-plate looks like it might be made from made from horn. I would gently patch it with dyed acra- glas to match. It looks like the buehler safety is set up for a lefty and the trigger may have some work into it too. Its probably a good shooter and I wouldn't drill and tap it just because its an FN action. If it was a poorly done 98 I wouldn't worry about it but I wouldn't ruin that roll mark. You can get a modern beater to put a scope on for general use. They don't make them like that anymore.

Thanks! Yes I think the buttplate is made out of horn. Appreciate the acraglas suggestion. I'll try that and see if it works. I agree about the drilling and tapping too. For as much as I paid for the rifle and as nice as it is, there's no way I'm going to deface it with tap holes. I'll just buy another rifle that's already set up for it.

Hopefully she shoots as good as she looks. I'm gonna load up some ammo and take her to the range sometime within the next couple weeks.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Very nice. The stock is much nicer than the Husqvarna 640 built on FN actions.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I've heard of Sika, Mule, Whitetail and Blacktail but what's an E'ffin Deer and why does it need a special rifle?:D

Looks beautiful. Reminds me of the post-war German cigarette guns.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Thanks! The "E'ffin" part was meant to be a play on words with "FN"

Yeah, I kind of guessed that but what fun would that have been:rolleyes:

Of course, any deer you missed is an E'ffin deer.

I still love the looks of your rifle, like I said it reminds me of the German cigarette rifles made during the US Constabulary in German.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had the same rifle for a while. Very nice. They are pretty good shooters. Mine liked Sako Hammerheads the best. Shot decent with factory R.E.M. And Winchester too.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nice classic style on that one Dan, should be a good shooter also. Those Lyman sights should allow quite fine accuracy.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Me likey! When the photos came up I thought it might be a Winchester 54 at first glance. But all those I've seen with a Lyman sight had it mounted on the opposite side and it was a different model. Mystery solved. I love the furniture and like the strong bluing. Very handsome. Starting to appreciate finely made sporting arms.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Me likey! When the photos came up I thought it might be a Winchester 54 at first glance. But all those I've seen with a Lyman sight had it mounted on the opposite side and it was a different model. Mystery solved. I love the furniture and like the strong bluing. Very handsome. Starting to appreciate finely made sporting arms.

Watch it Mawkie, a few more years and you will be coming over to the dark side. C&R vintage sporting arms:D
    Seriously, it does open up another area of collecting, some of these rifles are absolutely stunning and can be found at times for a reasonable price, other times they will go for thousands. A couple of good books are,
    Custom Gunmakers Of The 20th Century, Volume 1 and Volume 2 by Michael Petrov who unfortunately passed a few years ago.
    This is a good site for buying the books and also looking around and seeing the level of work being done between the wars and current gunmakers.

http://finegunmaking.com/page41/page1/page1.html

http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page25/page25.html

Also many fine rifles such as Pre 64 model 70's, vintage Remingtons, etc, are all a joy to shoot and collect.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 348
    • IMG_2084.jpg
      IMG_2084.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 336

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, no, you guys can't come over to vintage Sporting Arms . Stick with recent imported combloc pocket pistols where you belong. ( Or else you'll be competing with the rest of us, and running the prices up.)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Watch it Mawkie, a few more years and you will be coming over to the dark side. C&R vintage sporting arms:D
    Seriously, it does open up another area of collecting, some of these rifles are absolutely stunning and can be found at times for a reasonable price, other times they will go for thousands. A couple of good books are,
    Custom Gunmakers Of The 20th Century, Volume 1 and Volume 2 by Michael Petrov who unfortunately passed a few years ago.
    This is a good site for buying the books and also looking around and seeing the level of work being done between the wars and current gunmakers.

http://finegunmaking.com/page41/page1/page1.html

http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page25/page25.html

Also many fine rifles such as Pre 64 model 70's, vintage Remingtons, etc, are all a joy to shoot and collect.

To be completely honest, I wholeheartedly blame you and the pictures of nice sporting guns you post for making me buy that rifle. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom