• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Looking for some help on figuring out what I have here. M1 carbine with Quality Hardware receiver, Inland marked barrel (6-43), and trigger housing.
    I've done a little research but haven't found much on the Quality HMC guns. I'm believe this is in original configuration and it looks to be in fair condition. Still shoots good and accurate from 75 yards. Let me know if you have any additional info on this one.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Quality Hardware M1s areas good as any M1. Interesting fact they use a separate recoilsprimg tube as opposed to being milled in the receiver. Same as the original design Winchester. Doesn't effect function but interesting fact.

Jul 1, 2012
    I like your wood :) (high-wood stock that is).
    w/o tearing it down and looking in detail it appears righteous from the pics.
    Well, except for the M-2 magazine ...

Inland was a supplier of barrels to QH, and your S/N falls in the middle of block 1,550,000-1,662,519 - Feb-Sept 1943.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I like your wood :) (high-wood stock that is).
    w/o tearing it down and looking in detail it appears righteous from the pics.
    Well, except for the M-2 magazine ...

Inland was a supplier of barrels to QH, and your S/N falls in the middle of block 1,550,000-1,662,519 - Feb-Sept 1943.

Thanks for the info again. Trying to track down two correct magazines, sling, and a pouch for it. Seems there are a lot of replicas on the market for this particular rifle. The M-2 magazine has a weak spring that causes FTF, so I'll need a new spring for that one.
    This was a blast though and I'm happy to know this is an Authentic WWII carbine. I'll try to post some additional photos once I tear it apart for cleaning again.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Is that the original push button safety? I see it's a two rivet handguard, and a high wood stock. Also a type one barrel band. That is a VERY interesting carbine. Where has it been hiding since 1943?

Unfortunately, you'll have to get the magazines outside of Maryland, but it's a small price to pay to live in this crime free Utopia. Meanwhile you can pick up a couple ten rounders to hold you until you can get to a gun show or store in Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Those 30 round mags had a reputation for unreliability. There is a late style magazine catch with an extra tab to support the magazine better, but you don't want that. You don't want to put 1950s parts on such an amazing carbine.

Seriously, that looks like a Rip van Winkle carbine that was hidden away and missed all the upgrades. It would be of great interest to a collector.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Quality Hardware Carbines are among the lesser produced, but every bit as serviceable. I have my dad's Quality HMC Carbine he purchased through the NRA in the 1960's for the princely sum of $17.50 + $2.50 shipping along with its invoice. It's been through an arsenal upgrade...adjustable sights, bayonet lug, lever safety as opposed to the pushbutton safety.

From what I've read, most Quality HMC Carbines were equipped with Rock-Ola barrels. Several manufacturers made M1 barrels and they were sent to the various contractors as needed.

Your Carbine does look like it's still in it original configuration. It can be hard to be sure as they came with parts from many sub-contractors that don't necessarily match in color. Carbines are a real specialty of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom