• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I did my Audi S4 in red and this was the kit that I used. They looked good for about 4-6 years before the paint started looking closer to pink. I drove many track days in that car and generated enough heat to warp 3 sets of rotors, so I would say it is good stuff.

It is a thick paint, so you don't have to worry about total disassembly like you would with powder coat.
    http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

I have painted both my vehicles with G2 caliper epoxy/paint. I did a 2014 Mustang in a special G2 color matched version (Gotta Have it Green) and they look like the day I painted them (2+ yrs ago). I have also done my truck calipers with G2 Black. I would say that, in my experience, the G2 caliper epoxy/paint is the next best thing after powder coating. In fact I specifically chose not to powder coat and use G2 instead.

Look up G2 Paint, it is somewhere between cheap paint kits and powder coating in durability. As with all paint it is in the prep. I recommend if you use the G2 keep the paint itself in an ice water bath to retard the reaction until you get it on the calipers. It is in essence a 2 part epoxy paint.

http://www.g2usa.com/

Alright, yall convinced me. Just ordered a kit for my wifes car.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    Great!

Just be sure to prep the calipers good. I used a stainless steel brush, about the size of a toothbrush, and scrubbed the calipers good as I was spraying them down with the brake clean they sent in the kit and some more of my own. I got the calipers good & clean before mixing the G2 epoxy paint. No need to keep in an ice bath the paint takes several hours to set and you will be able to get 2 coats on no problem - oh, and I do recommend two coats.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    Powder coat if you can.I (including many others) have used all the major brands (VHT,Dupli-color,etc.) with no luck in longevity,even on brand new calipers with proper prep.JMO

The paints will probably last a few years, at most, then start to flake.

Gaspasser19

Oct 17, 2015
    I painted the calipers on my 911 back in 2008. I used the Duplicolor products. I did several coats of a base color then I added some decals that I picked up on eBay and I finished with a clear coat to keep the decals in place. I didn't even take them off the car. My thinking was that if I liked the look but it wasn't durable, I could have them properly done by a powder coating guy. But, I think they have held up quite well. The only damage to the paint is from wheels banging into them occasionally when I've swapped from Summer to Winter tires. They say that track temperatures will cause discoloration of even high temp ceramic based coatings.

Attachments

• DSC00415.JPG
      DSC00415.JPG
      47.4 KB · Views: 258
    • DSC00418.JPG
      DSC00418.JPG
      51.2 KB · Views: 269
    • DSC00422.JPG
      DSC00422.JPG
      39.7 KB · Views: 256
    • DSC00426.JPG
      DSC00426.JPG
      41.9 KB · Views: 257
    • DSC00436.JPG
      DSC00436.JPG
      41.9 KB · Views: 254
    • DSC00442.JPG
      DSC00442.JPG
      43.6 KB · Views: 262

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ever seen OEM Brembos on road-cars like the Evo or STI? The heat kills the paint and they turn brown. A true racing caliper is unpainted (only hard anodized) and doesn't discolor as such.

I've never seen brembos turn brown. The red ones on evos usually fade to pink. Never seen discoloration on sti gold brembos. Mine is a 9 year old 06 and other than some chipping and dirt, they still look the same color as new :shrug:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Ever seen OEM Brembos on road-cars like the Evo or STI? The heat kills the paint and they turn brown. A true racing caliper is unpainted (only hard anodized) and doesn't discolor as such.

I painted my Audi S4's brakes in red, and ran probably 20 track days in it. Went through 3 sets of rotors and pads. They turned pink probably 3-4 years later. Probably from the age of the paint. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it, not that I go looking for it. Maybe the brown is from brake dust

Attachments

• CAR12.15_136_15.jpg
      CAR12.15_136_15.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 200

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I painted the calipers on my 911 back in 2008. I used the Duplicolor products. I did several coats of a base color then I added some decals that I picked up on eBay and I finished with a clear coat to keep the decals in place. I didn't even take them off the car. My thinking was that if I liked the look but it wasn't durable, I could have them properly done by a powder coating guy. But, I think they have held up quite well. The only damage to the paint is from wheels banging into them occasionally when I've swapped from Summer to Winter tires. They say that track temperatures will cause discoloration of even high temp ceramic based coatings.

Great pics and great job.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Darren at Industrial Coatings in Eldersburg does excellent powder coating. Have used him on several projects with excellent results.

Gaspasser19

Oct 17, 2015

I'd say the 911 GT3 is about as "true" a race car as there is out there and those calipers are painted and not hard anodized. Seems to be working for them.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'd say the 911 GT3 is about as "true" a race car as there is out there and those calipers are painted and not hard anodized. Seems to be working for them.

Its still a factory built supercar so it's gotta look pretty.
    I'm sure he's talking about purpose built, trailered race cars.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Another recommendation for Alloy Wheel Repair, they just did the rims and calipers on my daughters car and the powder coating was flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom