• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    Just picked up a RAK-74-C and I want to make this thread as a reference for those who might be interested in getting one or learning more. You'll have to excuse the lack of photos on this first post.

As of now there isn't many post on this rifle other than a few videos and some Reddit threads that don't delve into the topic because it gets sided tracked with "Muh American made AK's bad".

I won't hold any punches back on this or anything I will post updates on the rifle and how it's preforming and any issues. I will be monitoring the front trunnion for any unusual wear.

I have yet to shoot it and this initial post is a fresh from the box overview, and overall it's a very nice rifle. Fit is tight and sound with no lose or horrid rivets and no WASR style canted sights The finish of the rifle is good if not very good with only some minor imperfections such as some burs in the top cover hole and it having some sort of gunk near the crown that left a stain under the muzzle brake and on the threads. That being said I would expect nothing less from a 1200 dollar AK. And for that sort of money I expect a good quality out of the box inspection.

Now until there are more reviews and forum post my sample size is 1 so I can't say definitely that all Riley Defense 74's are like mine.

Background I bought this 74 because I wanted an AK style rifle before any ban but mainly to satisfy my want for an AK. I purchased the "C" version which is the fixed wood stock version and although there are folding versions I avoided them because of possible issues with MSP with how they interpret firearms features and what's allowed and not.

As of current date (05/28/21) these are not listed by the MSP and I'd suggest that if you are looking for an AK 74 you might want to jump on these seeing as PSA 74 was put on the banned list. But that is up to you I'm not your financial advisor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_102616779.jpg
      IMG_20210528_102616779.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 1,069
    • IMG_20210528_182646338.jpg
      IMG_20210528_182646338.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 1,066

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    What makes this Maryland legal?

only 7.62x39 AKM pattern are banned, thus making 5.45, 5.56, 308, 7.62x54r and any other caliber fine.
    Apparently the new beryl 7.62 are fine in MD, since it doesnt share some functional parts with AKM but I dont know for sure

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    I purchased it from a seller on GunBroker it was 1250 and after taxes and shipping to my local store United it cost 1394 not including the 40 dollar transfer. You can still find them on GunBroker but it looks like they have been selling quickly. I believe Atlantic firearms was selling them but they have sold out.

I believe I saw this exact gun when it came in. I was picking up another gun I had bought online. I think it had just come in and they were just looking it over upon receiving it to ensure serials all matched up and everything was good with the transfer. When I first saw it I had no idea it was a RD. It’s a beautiful rifle. The finish was sharp and the wood looked of good quality. I saw the 74 break and thought it might be a slr104 or something like that. When they said it was a riley I was surprised. Great buy man it’s an awesome gun for sure.

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    I believe I saw this exact gun when it came in. I was picking up another gun I had bought online. I think it had just come in and they were just looking it over upon receiving it to ensure serials all matched up and everything was good with the transfer. When I first saw it I had no idea it was a RD. It’s a beautiful rifle. The finish was sharp and the wood looked of good quality. I saw the 74 break and thought it might be a slr104 or something like that. When they said it was a riley I was surprised. Great buy man it’s an awesome gun for sure.

Yeah I'm definitely sure it turned some heads in the shop it's not everyday that a 74 walks into the shop

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    ngl 1400 for an american 74 is quite steep, but if you manage to luck out and get one that functions well its worth it! I have a 74 myself and I honestly prefer how it shoots than a KAC, the 5.45 is magical

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    only 7.62x39 AKM pattern are banned, thus making 5.45, 5.56, 308, 7.62x54r and any other caliber fine.
    Apparently the new beryl 7.62 are fine in MD, since it doesnt share some functional parts with AKM but I dont know for sure

I believe this as not a lawyer but I have had multiple dealers say other wise for AK-74s that had AK in the name.

Regardless enjoy your rifle OP. I am filled with envy.

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    ngl 1400 for an american 74 is quite steep, but if you manage to luck out and get one that functions well its worth it! I have a 74 myself and I honestly prefer how it shoots than a KAC, the 5.45 is magical

Yeah it's a steep price but if you look at the 5.45 parts kits and you'll be running the around the same price and since no new imports of assembled rifles are coming in the price is still going up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Someone in this thread commented the PSA AK-74 is on the msp banned list, how the hell did that happen?

Great question. Listed as a “copy of enumerated banned weapon” yet the AK-74 isn’t enumerated.

St-Mtx.

May 28, 2021
    And since the psa ak74 was put on the banned list in February I was really surprised that RD made a 74 because it's seemingly has gone under the radar. It's a shame the PSA was put on the list but the 74's they have put out seem to have issues with them especially with the front trunnions and bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom