• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Another thread triggered these questions. What do you think of the BHP in .40 SW? Value of such a gun with case, papers, mags, maybe 200 rds thru it, tops?

Attachments

• DFE59D2B-E06A-445E-873D-F33170F080DD.jpg
      DFE59D2B-E06A-445E-873D-F33170F080DD.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 254

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think .40 was hard on that design so I would change the recoil spring often and not feed it hot stuff. Or, see about a 9mm barrel for it if that is possible.

That said, I would buy it if the price was right. Hard to say on that these days. Not sure if 40 helps or hurts the price. I would guess around $1k though. Check GB for completed sales may give you some idea.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    It was a limited production oddball from the 90's. I think they beefed it up and put an extra locking lug on the barrel. So much for parts interchangeability.

If you find a collector searching for one that's great but otherwise 40 is really going to limit interest. Most people chasing Hi Powers will tell you that they are the classic nine and 40 is just wrong.

The 9mm HP is my favorite handgun but I have zero interest in owning one in 40. If it was so cheap that a quick buck could be made on resale then maybe if I could be sure I wouldn't be stuck with it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When the .40 BHP first came out I was able to test fire one. Compared to the 9mm version it's a bit unbalanced and really twists in your hand when shooting it. It's a Hi Power and that still says a lot but it's more less a collectable as there are better shooters out there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The slide was beefed up enough to deal with .40 , that the balance was significantly different , much like a 1911 .

If the price is right for the collectibility it would be interesting addition , but as a shooter , the Hi Power design is at its best as a 9mm .

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    OP, if this is local and sanely price, and you pass, please PM me. Yes, lots of ands there I know........

Not a big 40 fan but I would make an exemption for another Hi Power.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The 40 caliber HP is like the 45GAP Glock, a non-starter. Nonetheless, it's not something you see everyday, and a hardcore HP fan probably likes them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    What about a Hi Power in .30 Luger?

Weird, but I'd hit it if it was priced right.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    It needs a slightly larger holster than the 9mm as the slide is beefier. I am not a fan of these rubber wrap around grips (orig equip with browning medallions) and the trigger is gritty and unpleasant, prob due to the mag disconnect. The front sight is high but is on target. But all that aside, it is a very easy gun to shot with substantial accuracy. Its one of 2 40s i have, the other being a G27 and they are a world apart in shootability.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even an ignorant fumble-fingered guy like myself can remove a Browning mag safety. It makes the trigger so smooth, and the mag drops right out, like it's supposed to.

As I understand it, the French wanted a big order of these pistols back when they were first going to come out, but the brass wanted the mag safety, so Browning followed the francs and incorporated it into the design. Then the Frogs reneged on the order., and the rest of us are stuck with it.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    A BHP in .40? Nah, it's probably worth maybe a hundred bucks, nobody wants that. Tell you what though, I'll give you 200, just message me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom