• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The father of one of my employees passed away recently (my God rest his soul) and the family found a firearm in a safe that they did not realize he owns. The family is afraid of guns and his window has been very depressed so they asked that I take possession.

So, the firearm is a near pristine Belgian made Browning Hi Power. The date stamp is 245RR (1977 per Brownings web page). The manual that was with it was for a BDA and doesn’t match. It had one original magazine. It was in a correct Browning black leather sleeve with the correct zipper and red lining.
    The grips are the walnut grips with the red insides. It has the correct fixed front sights and adjustable rear sight. The only flaw of the finish is maybe a slight loss of patina around one letter of the manufacture’s marks. There is visible galling or visible barrel wear. The receipt that they had was stamped 1969 and had the serial number of a different Hi Power on it.

The family is unable to tell me how many rounds have been fired through it.
    I found it with the magazine loaded. There were 2 boxes of vintage ammo. One was Remington and the other was made by Smith and Wesson. The brass shows some oxidation.

I want to pay the family a fair price for the firearm, I have no idea how to price this one. My interests up to now have been in more modern firearms. The only similar Hi Power I could find online had 2 original magazines, the original manuals, and had only 1 round through it and was priced around $1900.

I will post pictures after the Maryland mandated transfer process is complete (i.e. 7 day waiting period).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Brownings aren't rare by any means though Browning has discontinued them. The all Belgian examples are worth more. I'm guessing a value somewhere around $1500-$2000 if everything is there but these are crazy time so values could be more or less.

The S&W ammunition never had much of a good reputation for the most part...it's probably more of a curiosity than anything. The Remington...maybe. It may also be nothing but blasting ammo to shoot up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From what I recall, Browning moved the Hi Power production out of Belgium in 1973 or 74.

I have a 73 HP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I doubt it would bring more than $1200 on the best auction day, it has been fired. $800 might be low end. On the Hi Power forums there is consensus that "all Belgian" doesn't represent any higher quality, just a sign for the uninformed to pay more for the flag.

If I recall correctly, the parts were still all made in Belgium, the only thing that changed was final assembly in Portugal in FN's factory there.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    From what I recall, Browning moved the Hi Power production out of Belgium in 1973 or 74.

I have a 73 HP.

I have one I purchased in Germany, in 1988 or 1989, new in the box.. It shows made in Belgium assembled in Portugal. I guess I should check the serial # for when it was manufactured.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    GB has tons of used Hi Powers listed for 5-550, most being unsold. Unless it's collectible wartime C&R, or in an odd caliber like .40 or .30 Luger, or modified for competition, or near mint T-series serial number, looks like 7-800 is a fair going rate. (I only checked out the first 20 or so; there's over a thousand listings in the "Completed Sale" database).

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Just an update.
    The pistol is nearly pristine with an extremely low round count.

We decided to put it on consignment at Tyler Firearms. There haven’t been many takers because it is more of a collector’s piece than a shooter.

The widow is in need of money to pay for new health insurance and lawyer fees. If any of you is interested, please swing by there and take a look.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    A factory new hi power from 1966 just sold for $2500 on GI with zippered case. In the condition you describe the pistol is worth the $1500-2000 OMB suggests. A local buyer is a different matter. I suspect someone will walk into tylers , offer $1k and get a sweet deal. You might post it on this site in the for sale.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    My rough estimate would be on the order of $1200, but you'd have to check the completed GunBroker auctions. FWIW, I'd probably dispose of it through GunBroker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom