• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    So there are twice as many NICS checks as actual new firearms produced or imported. It suggest a few possibilities. More firearms were sold from inventory, some level if NICS checks were for regulated transfers or out if state sales of non-regulated used firearms. Some quantity of NICS checks result in a rejection of the individual, which doesn’t turn into an actual sale.

NICS is used for other things as well. Carry permits, suppressors, minor background checks.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The NICS Check Numbers Are In For May 2021

May has set a new record for the month at 3,222,105 which brings the total so far for this year to 19,188,494. The five month total so far this year already tops the full year totals for every year through 2011.

Lots of background checks are being done and of the 19,188,494 NICS checks conducted so far this year only 71,854 were denials, less than 1/2 of 1 percent. Prohibited people are not buying guns that need a NICS Check the Criminals are buying their guns ILLEGALLY!

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Prohibited people are not buying guns that need a NICS Check the Criminals are buying their guns ILLEGALLY!

We call those gangs.

It is in the sub category of gun violence. It takes care of itself in the end, but fudges the numbers for the rest of us. :innocent0

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

May has set a new record for the month at 3,222,105 which brings the total so far for this year to 19,188,494. The five month total so far this year already tops the full year totals for every year through 2011.

Lots of background checks are being done and of the 19,188,494 NICS checks conducted so far this year only 71,854 were denials, less than 1/2 of 1 percent. Prohibited people are not buying guns that need a NICS Check the Criminals are buying their guns ILLEGALLY!

.:)

Attachments

• May 2021 record firearm background checks.jpg
      May 2021 record firearm background checks.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 394

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

So, a 46 million annual pace through 5 months. That would shatter last year's record.

I'm somewhat surprised by this, given the relatively "old news" urgency drivers of Covid, the riots, and the 2 clowns in the White House. Tells me there's more at play here.

The claim is that minorities and women are a big factor here. What else is fueling this growth though? Specifically here in calendar year 2021? I have to wonder. I struggle to see this as being about THAT magnitude of a volume explosion, made up primarily of new hobbyists.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So, a 46 million annual pace through 5 months. That would shatter last year's record.

I'm somewhat surprised by this, given the relatively "old news" urgency drivers of Covid, the riots, and the 2 clowns in the White House. Tells me there's more at play here.

The claim is that minorities and women are a big factor here. What else is fueling this growth though? Specifically here in calendar year 2021? I have to wonder. I struggle to see this as being about THAT magnitude of a volume explosion, made up primarily of new hobbyists.

People decided they might need a gun but when they went to the internet and/or gun store they discovered there were very few available and the BS the main stream media has been slinging for years about how easy it is to buy a gun was another lie, suddenly they woke up to reality and figured they better start buying now while they still could. Guns are like potato chips you can't have just one. A lot of people got a big dose of reality and they told their friends who are telling their friends.......

Here is a link to the NICS Check report:
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

The numbers have been climbing since 2006 and 2020 put them through the roof.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    People decided they might need a gun but when they went to the internet and/or gun store they discovered there were very few available and the BS the main stream media has been slinging for years about how easy it is to buy a gun was another lie, suddenly they woke up to reality and figured they better start buying now while they still could. Guns are like potato chips you can't have just one. A lot of people got a big dose of reality and they told their friends who are telling their friends.......

Here is a link to the NICS Check report:
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

The numbers have been climbing since 2006 and 2020 put them through the roof.

Thanks for the link. Interesting to be sure!

With guys like us, guns are indeed like potato chips. But I'm less inclined to think that with most others. I don't think it's the dyed in the wool gun guys that are driving these numbers. If anything, given pricing and availability both, many of us have likely been on the sidelines the last year or so.

This trend to my eye says lots of new people are saying "I Need", rather than guys like us saying "I Want". Not at all surprising given the events of 2020, for anyone with two eyes. But this year being stronger still? That does surprise me.

There are obviously still huge numbers of motivated buyers in the market. I am interested to see future insight into just who these people turn out to be.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have two friends and a coworker who all purchased their first firearms last year. They weren’t anti gun prior, but rather indifferent. Their biggest obstacles were concern for safety of their families by having a gun in the home. However when it seemed apparent that violence was spreading and police were being defunded they all rationalized the purchases as being safer with a firearm than without one.

I went to AGC on Saturday and benched next to a group of 4 guys. They had a nice arsenal of AR-15’s, 300 blackouts, semi-auto shotguns and a few handguns. Two had suppressors. We got to talking and all four guys were long time friends and all became first time firearm owners last year. They said the one friend really did all of the research and explained much of the legalities. They decided what they wanted and brought what they could. He even said that the reason they all had some pretty expensive hardware was that was all they could find.

So I’m glad these numbers are rising so fast. Even if half of these new owners are not politically active, half are and that might the gun grabbers on defense.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'm surprised to see that many checks. I have seen more firearms are in stock at FFL's than there have been the last month or so. I've been on the lookout for a specific handgun for about a year. Up until recently the only time i've seen one it has been on auctions - New stock with FFLs selling at a premium.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown

That’s not a terrible article. They present “both sides” but I don’t read it as being anti-gun propaganda. I also think it is good that they highlight just how difficult it is to legally but a handgun here (3 months for the one guy). They should have highlighted the difficulty of the attorney who was featured obtaining his CCW, but what can you do.

I’m glad more liberals are buying guns and I’d like to see more sources talk about gun ownership to remove the stigma. This article could have taken an opportunity to highlight all of the rules of safe gun handling (instead of just highlighting one) and briefly discussed how to safely store a firearm at home, as that is a missed opportunity.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

I try to put articles like that into context, understanding who wrote it, where/what it's about, and who the intended audience is. I can just hear my neighbors (very much that rag's audience) cluck-clucking about all the dumb people who think a gun makes them safer, blah blah.

Galling: the writer's inevitable, breezily casual drive-by stipulations that police were killing black people all summer long, that there was an "insurrection" on January 6, and the rest. No lefty writer can pen a piece like that without sliding some of that BS in there, just to keep the fake news alive. Even made it sound like local Asians are taking their clues from "the Koreans" during the Rodney King riots ... without a single honest contextual clue as to what that was really about. I did appreciate the lawyer mentioning all the damage and boarded up businesses in his "safe" part of Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights ... though the author of course tried hard to obfuscate the fact that that was about lefty thug violence, not "insurrectionists!"

On balance, considering the source and subject matter, it's more than I would have hoped for. The trick is to get my neighbors to actually talk about this stuff without looking over their shoulders in paralyzing fear of being Cancelled by their other neighbors.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    You may be correct but

I can only imagine that many of those guns are going to find their way into the secondary/used market within the next couple of years.

I am wondering if they have seen the pattern over the last decade or so where whenever a crisis has arisen, cops are not there to protect. They may instead keep their newly purchased weapons. But then again, the icky ew factor may make them sell

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I can only imagine that many of those guns are going to find their way into the secondary/used market within the next couple of years.

That will only happen if the slide toward chaos is reversed. I don't see that happening in the near term; the Left will continue to up the ante as their folly becomes ever more apparent.

When the S hits TF in the pricier neighborhoods, where the rainbow unicorn liberals gather, attitudes will perforce begin to change. Right now the more aware well-to-do leftists have quietly bought weapons; their more indoctrinated neighbors will only come along when their oxen are gored.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    their more indoctrinated neighbors will only come along when their oxen are gored.

Or in this case, as mentioned in the article, when their Sax Fifth Avenue store on Wisconsin Ave is gored boarded up because of leftist threats and violence. Which happened. Article's cited lawyer lives a mile away, saw the light.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    BGOLC. - Battered Gun Owner Literary Criticism :

It Exceeded Expectations . It was Anti- Gun Both at same time .

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland

The first half of the article was pretty good: a guy who had a scary enounter decides to buy a gun..... 3 months later he finally is able to have it.
    What pisses me off is that he then takes his class to get his carry permit, while the rest of us schmucks who have owned guns for decades will never be issued a permit. Must be some high flute'n rich white guy.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    [Kev308];6343943 said:
    The first half of the article was pretty good: a guy who had a scary enounter decides to buy a gun..... 3 months later he finally is able to have it.
    What pisses me off is that he then takes his class to get his carry permit, while the rest of us schmucks who have owned guns for decades will never be issued a permit. Must be some high flute'n rich white guy.

From the article:
    A middle-aged attorney and business owner, Mike........

Business owner so he qualifies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom