Why are SureFire Handgun Lights so Expensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You missed the point of the question. Here it is again:

"What makes SureFire so good that it is so expensive? I'm sure there must be a reason, but I don't get it."

I wasn't saying the $20 light is as good as the SureFire. I assumed there must be a reason why it is so much more expensive, I just didn't know why. People that answered the question, instead of calling me a "derp," understood that. They pointed out things like R&D, service after the sale, made in America, etc. Calling somebody a name because you thought their question was stupid totally defeats the purpose of this forum. Attempting to alienate somebody is the exact opposite of what we try to do here. Is your purpose on this site to help others learn, or do you just want to ridicule everyone that doesn't know as much as you?

To answer helpful questions, I'm only planning on having it on my home SD gun and taking it to the range every now and then to make sure I understand the different feeling of having a few extra ounces on the front of my gun.

I have no misconceptions about durability. I don't think that SureFire has somehow duped intelligent shooters into buying an overpriced product that performs no better than a $20 knockoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bit you hit on does make it sound like a stupid idea. For a self defense gun. Is it likely to just die on you when you need it the most. Probably not. Not a risk I'd be willing to take at any rate. SD also means there is a chance it is going to get bashed somehow, and you'd probably want it to keep working then.

Just to take to the range or a night light for long walks on your property are both pretty good ideas for a cheap weapon light. Self defense isn't.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Every cheapo flashlight I have ever bought is still working, beat up, dropped into bilge, ran over for testing, left on accidentally, go figure. I have 7 Surefires as well.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You can get a tlr1 hl for $100... not sure why you'd pick up a cheaper light with no holsters for a defensive firearm.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    I love my light.
    Not too expensive. Definitely tested.

Great beam, wide enough to scan an area without sweeping the barrel.

Only draw back is battery life, not much warning when it's about to need replacing. Unlike my Sure Fire pocket lamps which dim before shutting off completely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      102.1 KB · Views: 344

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I love my light.
    Not too expensive. Definitely tested.

Great beam, wide enough to scan an area without sweeping the barrel.

Only draw back is battery life, not much warning when it's about to need replacing. Unlike my Sure Fire pocket lamps which dim before shutting off completely.

I don't think I'd use that light for SD if it goes from working to shutting off without a warning. That could be devastating in the wrong situation. My Olight will dim all the way until it's not useable.

I too wish the batteries lasted a little longer. I buy good batteries but it still seems to die too quickly. At least for me....

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    You missed the point of the question. Here it is again:

"What makes SureFire so good that it is so expensive? I'm sure there must be a reason, but I don't get it."

I wasn't saying the $20 light is as good as the SureFire. I assumed there must be a reason why it is so much more expensive, I just didn't know why. People that answered the question, instead of calling me a "derp," understood that. They pointed out things like R&D, service after the sale, made in America, etc. Calling somebody a name because you thought their question was stupid totally defeats the purpose of this forum. Attempting to alienate somebody is the exact opposite of what we try to do here. Is your purpose on this site to help others learn, or do you just want to ridicule everyone that doesn't know as much as you?

To answer helpful questions, I'm only planning on having it on my home SD gun and taking it to the range every now and then to make sure I understand the different feeling of having a few extra ounces on the front of my gun.

I have no misconceptions about durability. I don't think that SureFire has somehow duped intelligent shooters into buying an overpriced product that performs no better than a $20 knockoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then I must beg your pardon. I spent half of yesterday and at least five posts trying to explain to a member here why he cannot draw, aim, and potentially shoot someone who angrily walks toward his car! I misread the tone of your original post as, "if I can get a cheap light from eBay, why would anyone buy a Surefire?", which I guess was reading a little more into it.

R&D, durability, customer service. Plus options, accessories/holsters, etc.

In the handheld category I do believe that there are other companies that rival Surefire and even have some features I prefer. But for WMLs, while Streamlight makes some good ones, Surefire is still the best.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I just got a solid aluminum, quick disconnect, 300 lumen gun light from eBay for $19.99. The shipping was free and it even came with the 3V lithium battery. It fits my Glock 23 like it was made for it. A comparable light from SureFire is going for $279 at several vendors. What makes SureFire so good that it is so expensive? I'm sure there must be a reason, but I don't get it.

The $20 NCStar light I bought worked very well for about a month and then just died. I never even mounted it on a gun. I used it for examining parts of a gun I was working on. Used it one evening, turned it off and the next morning it would not work. I tested the battery and it was fine, so the light is the problem.
    NCStar said it was under warranty and they would replace it if I paid to send it back and a $10 "fee".
    I threw it in the trash and will never buy anything NCStar, again!
    Lesson learned.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Their customer service is tremendous. They back up their products to the hilt. I wore out a switch on mine, called them, and a new one came in the mail a couple days later. No charge, of course.

my experience was the opposite. have had bulbs go out on two. very low hours basically sitting in vehicles in case needed at night. they refused to do anything about that, and didn't even want the bulbs back for R&D purposes.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    not sure why you'd pick up a cheaper light with no holsters for a defensive firearm.

This was an important consideration in why I went with a Surefire (and for that mater a Glock) this time around. Your choices of aftermarket gear is a whole lot better when you run what most departments seem to be running.

In reading online forums, LEOs seem pretty convinced that Streamlights have a bad habit of cracking and of flying off guns. They do a lot more nighttime quals than i do, so I take their word for it.

I have a streamlight TRL-3 on my XD. I have not had any issues with it over the last few years. Though it hardly gets daily use. I did run it through one night fire class a year or so back.

I did run cheapo (Sam's club ) handheld tactical LED flashlights in that course and did have major problems with those, so I can safely say not all lights are created equal.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Any recommendations for an AR-15 mounted light? I'm looking to take a class that requires a WML--not sure if I want to go all in on a high-quality light or pick up a cheapo for the class. This would mount to a Magpul M-LOK hand guard. Thoughts?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any recommendations for an AR-15 mounted light? I'm looking to take a class that requires a WML--not sure if I want to go all in on a high-quality light or pick up a cheapo for the class. This would mount to a Magpul M-LOK hand guard. Thoughts?

Depending on how cheap you want to go, I picked up a Monstrum Keymod 1" mount, a streamlight Protac 1l and some veterinary tape (like an ace banadage, but black and a little sturdier).

Total weight of mount, light and tape is just over 3 ounces, so lighter than any regular mount and light. You need the tape to wrap the light as it is about .79" in diameter and mounts for that size are rare.

Works great. Held in place well. I've smacked it hard a few times and it won't back back out or push forward out of the mount. Easy to reach. About $55 all up.

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpg
      IMG_2709.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 213

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads