• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazyfortress

Mar 20, 2021
    Bel Air, MD
    Before I begin, please excuse my ignorance. I need a lot of guidance with this new-to-me world of making guns.

Before checking Maryland state laws, I ignorantly purchased a H&K G3 parts kit, as I wanted to build a cool gun with my dad. Unfortunately, when I came to the local gunsmith today, I was informed that I can't legally build a semi-auto G3, and now I have a $500 parts kit that I can't assemble.

The gunsmith was kind enough to print out a list of banned H&K firearms, and I took a good look when I got home. Would a semi-auto HK51/MC51 build still be illegal in MD, as I believe it shares a few parts with the HK91/G3? If legal, the overall length of a HK51/MC51 is definitely under 29 inches. Would this still be legal if I got it registered as an SBR, or built a HK51K/MC51K (pistol conversion)?

If the HK51/MC51 build is still illegal, can I build a semi-auto G36K or a semi-auto MP5/40 in MD? I don't see a mention of a G36 or a SL8 in the MD banned firearm list, and I remember hearing that the MP5 is legal if you put a long stock on it and register it as an SBR, or if you do a MP5K build. However, the HK94 ban has me iffy.

Lastly, if either the G36K, MP5K or MP5/40 are legal to build in MD, which would be the easiest to find parts for and finish? My money's on the MP5, but maybe the G36K if I buy a receiver and have it sent to a FFL-licensed dealer (IIRC)?

Thank you for any advice! Again, apologies for my ignorance.

Edit: I was also thinking about a Mk13 Mod 5 or Mod 7 build, but I'm pretty sure the cost of this would exceed the G36 and MP5.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A G3K SBR would be legal since that meets the 29” OAL.

Pistol HK51 or MP5 builds are legal too, as long as you don’t build a direct copy of the SP89, since that’s banned.

lazyfortress

Mar 20, 2021
    Bel Air, MD
    A G3K SBR would be legal since that meets the 29” OAL.

Pistol HK51 or MP5 builds are legal too, as long as you don’t build a direct copy of the SP89, since that’s banned.

Wait, I can build a G3K? But isn't it illegal, since the HK91 is banned, as well as the G3? The gunsmithing shop yesterday wouldn't even touch my G3 parts kit. What makes the G3K legal, but G3 not?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Wait, I can build a G3K? But isn't it illegal, since the HK91 is banned, as well as the G3? The gunsmithing shop yesterday wouldn't even touch my G3 parts kit. What makes the G3K legal, but G3 not?

The HK91 ban only applies to rifles.

MD considers anything with a barrel less than 16” to be a handgun, so your options are pistol or SBR with a G3K.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

The SBR and pistol version of banned guns are not banned provided they meet the OAL requirement and pass the features test

What gunsmith turned down the work?

lazyfortress

Mar 20, 2021
    Bel Air, MD
    The SBR and pistol version of banned guns are not banned provided they meet the OAL requirement and pass the features test

What gunsmith turned down the work?

Some small shop down in Havre De Grace, "Jack's Gun Works" is the name. I kinda don't want to go back. Any gunsmiths you'd recommend?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Some small shop down in Havre De Grace, "Jack's Gun Works" is the name. I kinda don't want to go back. Any gunsmiths you'd recommend?

I've been to Jack's, he seemed a decent guy.

You'll find the smith at Duffy's to be damned good. They do a lot of class 3 too so they'll be versed in that.

lazyfortress

Mar 20, 2021
    Bel Air, MD
    Just to clarify before buying the G3K conversion parts, I can definitely build a G3K (despite the HK91 ban) in Maryland legally? Can I buy the parts before I file the NFA form 1?

Last edited:

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    SBR's are a rifle for the purposes of enumerated banned firearms, as well as OAL requirements. They are also pistols for the purposes of transport and HQL. You cannot make a banned long arm a SBR to make it legal. Case and point, you can have a light barrel AR pistol in .223, but you cannot have a light barrel SBR AR in .223.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    SBR's are a rifle for the purposes of enumerated banned firearms, as well as OAL requirements. They are also pistols for the purposes of transport and HQL. You cannot make a banned long arm a SBR to make it legal. Case and point, you can have a light barrel AR pistol in .223, but you cannot have a light barrel SBR AR in .223.

SBRs are rifles for the purposes of the copycat test, but not for the purposes of the enumerated list.

Plenty of Marylanders still get 5.56 non-HBAR AR SBRs and 7.62x39 AK SBRs approved.

A manufacturer can make a banned rifle into an MD compliant SBR and transfer it on a Form 4 as well if it’s on the handgun roster.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'd be tempted to build it into a pistol...but with a full-length barrel. Swap the endcap for a stock whenever you leave the state.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I like the G3, but don't find short-barreled .308s very fun to shoot. Save the G3 kit for when you move to a free state, and build yourself an AK or AR pistol. Alternatively, if you like the design of the G3, look for a Cetme kit or ready-built rifle; I think they're still "allowed."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom