Why would anyone need more than one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Little bit of a misleading subject. :)

I’ve been riding/racing motorcycles for decades. At times I’ve had a dozen or more bikes at once. It makes perfect sense to me. A woods bike, a motocross bike, several road race bikes for various classes, a trials bike, a street bike, a long distance bike, a dual sport, etc. They all serve a unique purpose. Surely it’s the same in the gun world.

I’m diving into the shooting hobby - I’m early in my journey from “a guy with some old guns that he got from dad” to... well, I guess I really don’t know yet. I like learning and have been soaking up information from this forum, YouTube, friends, etc. I’m starting to think more about my firearm needs.

I’m finding myself looking at the following categories & options. This is not yet well thought out. Some of this stuff I already own but there are gaps to fill (rationalization!).

* Home defense (inside) - shotgun, handgun
    * Home/property defense in a SHTF scenario - semi-auto, decent range, decent stopping power
    * Conceal carry - handgun
    * Food on the table - .22 for small game, more capable rifle for deer (bolt action because I like it), shotgun.
    * “Civil unrest” - semi-auto, decent capacity, decent stopping power
    * Fun target shooting/plinking - .22 LR rifles & handgun. Shotgun for clays.

I’d like to hear why you “need” your guns. More accurately, what niche do they fill? What have I left out?

Edit: I’m not really looking for recommendations for purchase just yet. I intentionally didn’t specify which ones I already own so that it doesn’t shape the results. While I do hope to learn a little from the discussion, I’m really just genuinely curious what “needs” others have.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The reality is a couple guns can be the Swiss Army type for the majority of folks.

G19 for home protection and CCW
    AR-15 for self defense, end of the world, and just because America
    870 with a few barrels to fill the many roles you think you need a shotgun for
    10-22 or .22 bolt gun for cheap fun and small animals

Yup...about 5 guns in and you can have a well sorted collection. The reality is it will all be pretty useless if you don't have a secure place to keep them, enough ammo to go around, and most importantly training and understanding the system. Folks get heavy into the collecting part because it's fun and cool. They forget the training part because it's not cheap and doesn't put anything tangible in the safe.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    you need at least 2 of everything. one for the safe and to use, and one to put behind the drywall. hoping to buy my first gun....someday.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    you need at least 2 of everything. one for the safe and to use, and one to put behind the drywall. hoping to buy my first gun....someday.

I need to buy one as all of my firearms were lost when my boat sank in the Bay last weekend.

You need to start with a handgun and a long gun. Since prices are high, you can spend your resources on training and acquire more guns when prices are more reasonable.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Maybe he should buy a dredging barge. I mean, I don't think you'd much have to know how to use one to wind up with a fine collection after all of these accidents.

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    No love for 7.62 x. ?
    Guess I don’t “ need “ to think about anything chambered in those useless things anymore

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The fuc wits that make the argument in the first place aren't Americans. I remember years ago Congress was discussing a tax break and some Democrat from California made the statement that, "Well, I would hate for them to buy a second VCR with it." You know "they" being taxpayers, and "it" being their own money.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Maybe he should buy a dredging barge. I mean, I don't think you'd much have to know how to use one to wind up with a fine collection after all of these accidents.

Better than having to sell off a half dozen motor bikes as his gun obsession takes over his life.

(OP, "bikebreath" refers to bicycles and I am down to two...for now).

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    No love for 7.62 x. ?
    Guess I don’t “ need “ to think about anything chambered in those useless things anymore

I love 7.62

It's like 5.56.....but for men. :)

7.62 is a great round and can do things 5.56 can't. Honestly, if I had to choose one rifle for all occasions it would be a 7.62 AR or M1A.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Since when does "NEED" have anything to do with it?
    You want 12 motorcycles, get 12 motorcycles. You want 10 or 50 firearms, get 10 or 50 firearms.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This always rings true and should stop most people in their tracks, but it doesn't....

It's not called The Bill of NEEDS.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Seems that some are missing the point of the post (or I’m missing the point of the replies). I’m NOT in any way challenging the idea of multiple guns or asking anyone to justify their choices. I’m simply curious what unique purchase reasons might be out there. Maybe one of your guns is best suited to shooting left handed while riding your unicycle...

I understand 100% that no reason is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom