• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If you take a firearms training course by a qualified handgun instructor that is less than 16 hours does that meet #5 below?
    I do not believe so. There is either training exempt or 16 hour for an initial application. For renewal there is 8 hour or exempt. MSP allows no other options to the best of my knowledge.

GlockxRob

Jul 24, 2013
    Annapolis
    Donald

This is great. lol :lol:

1-donald-trump-meme-get-in-*****-making-america-great-again1.jpg

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I'm actually interested in finding out if anyone was successful with using their MD Instructor creds as their G&S ... I'm wanting to compare notes if they deny mine.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm actually interested in finding out if anyone was successful with using their MD Instructor creds as their G&S ... I'm wanting to compare notes if they deny mine.

I can't imagine it'd meet the G&S standard, but I'd love to be proven wrong (and would reapply immediately).

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I DID IT!!

Well, it seems as if I've been granted access to the Cool Kids Club. I just got the call that my permit should be printed today. Here's what I used as my G&S:

Open source reporting reveals the intent of a Foreign Terrorist Organization, or radicalized HVE (LE term for Homegrown Violent Extremists), to locate, target and attack US persons with a background similar or specific to my own. Their capability to locate, target and attack Members of the Service with grave consequences has been demonstrated in the last year, as has the ability to elude pre-operational detection by law enforcement or their targets. While I have exercised all recommended countermeasures, I remain in apprehended fear of undetected targeting and violent physical attack. Attributes linking me to the threat communities places me in a position of assumed risk and suggests additional measures and heightened awareness be taken on my part to provide personal security for my family and myself.

The key factors, according to the MD Licensing Division, were my clearance, association with the Intelligence Community, and direct support to military units fighting terrorism. My package included letters of reference from my chain of command detailing my specific duties. Those were classified FOUO//LES, so I can't really post them here.

I know this doesn't help most people here, but hopefully there are a few of you who can mold this to your purposes. Note that I included the terms assumed risk and apprehended fear/danger. Those came straight from the SOP.

I haven't seen it yet, but the restriction is going to include something like "while off duty only". The officer didn't really know what that meant and admitted it was kind of silly. While on duty (at work?), I'm in a federal facility, so my restriction is essentially saying I can't commit a felony with my permit. This just goes to show the LD feels obligated to include some kind of restriction on permits.

Good luck.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I don't know of any Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor Licensee that has not had their application approved, eventually.

A few, mostly in the beginning, had to appeal internally and to the HPRB.

Most apply under the "presumed risk" and/or "business owner" criteria under Maryland's current licensing scheme.

Restrictions typically read something like, "While conducting business as a licensed firearms instructor, or transporting firearms or ammunition."

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

I can't imagine it'd meet the G&S standard, but I'd love to be proven wrong (and would reapply immediately).

I don't know of any Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor Licensee that has not had their application approved, eventually.

A few, mostly in the beginning, had to appeal internally and to the HPRB.

Most apply under the "presumed risk" and/or "business owner" criteria under Maryland's current licensing scheme.

Restrictions typically read something like, "While conducting business as a licensed firearms instructor, or transporting firearms or ammunition."

In other words, yes, instructors have been getting permits :)

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Well, it seems as if I've been granted access to the Cool Kids Club. I just got the call that my permit should be printed today. Here's what I used as my G&S:

Open source reporting reveals the intent of a Foreign Terrorist Organization, or radicalized HVE (LE term for Homegrown Violent Extremists), to locate, target and attack US persons with a background similar or specific to my own. Their capability to locate, target and attack Members of the Service with grave consequences has been demonstrated in the last year, as has the ability to elude pre-operational detection by law enforcement or their targets. While I have exercised all recommended countermeasures, I remain in apprehended fear of undetected targeting and violent physical attack. Attributes linking me to the threat communities places me in a position of assumed risk and suggests additional measures and heightened awareness be taken on my part to provide personal security for my family and myself.

The key factors, according to the MD Licensing Division, were my clearance, association with the Intelligence Community, and direct support to military units fighting terrorism. My package included letters of reference from my chain of command detailing my specific duties. Those were classified FOUO//LES, so I can't really post them here.

I know this doesn't help most people here, but hopefully there are a few of you who can mold this to your purposes. Note that I included the terms assumed risk and apprehended fear/danger. Those came straight from the SOP.

I haven't seen it yet, but the restriction is going to include something like "while off duty only". The officer didn't really know what that meant and admitted it was kind of silly. While on duty (at work?), I'm in a federal facility, so my restriction is essentially saying I can't commit a felony with my permit. This just goes to show the LD feels obligated to include some kind of restriction on permits.

Good luck.

Grats! but don't you work for a fed law enforcement agency? Not too many uses /LES but those ;) I didn't put all that. Kept it simple and short. I figured they would call and talk and I could explain it better or have my boss tell them...
    Still waiting and haven't heard anything for me, but its been 30 days or 25 biz days...but whos counting...:rolleyes: figured they'll deny me and I'll have to have a hearing, ect..

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Grats! but don't you work for a fed law enforcement agency? Not too many uses /LES but those ;) I didn't put all that. Kept it simple and short. I figured they would call and talk and I could explain it better or have my boss tell them...
    Still waiting and haven't heard anything for me, but its been 30 days or 25 biz days...but whos counting...:rolleyes: figured they'll deny me and I'll have to have a hearing, ect..

Nope, not law enforcement. We just work with federal, state, and local entities.

As far as keeping it simple and explaining it in person, I figured it would be better to throw as many reasons as possible in from the beginning. What if they decide you're not worthy even before the interview? Then you're screwed.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Nope, not law enforcement. We just work with federal, state, and local entities.

As far as keeping it simple and explaining it in person, I figured it would be better to throw as many reasons as possible in from the beginning. What if they decide you're not worthy even before the interview? Then you're screwed.

True, but figured, I'm in Maryland and half screwed already :lol2:

Anyways, forgot to ask, how long did it take?

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    True, but figured, I'm in Maryland and half screwed already :lol2:

Anyways, forgot to ask, how long did it take?

Well, I may have jumped too soon. I got a call from the LD Wednesday, 10 Feb, asking for my official title. The guy said the permit should be printed that day and mailed shortly thereafter. Since I'm not too far from there, I asked if I could pick it up. He said sure and to call back the next morning. I did and spoke with who I assume to be the receptionist. She acted like I was asking for her firstborn. "I don't know who you talked to, but no one picks up permits." She then checked and told me my permit wasn't approved yet. Crap.:mad54:

I submitted my package around 23 November, and the 90 day mark will be 21 February.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I can tell you from first hand experience that permits have been picked up in person in the recent past. :innocent0

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    In other words, yes, instructors have been getting permits :)

Thank you! I'll try again then.

And that brings up a related question that I hope some of our active LEOs can answer: Does a Marylander's CCW permit come up on your cruiser computer when running a license tag? I'm not talking about during stops, only while observing vehicle activity in traffic. The reason I ask is because an LEO friend (in another state) once told me that it does and may result in increased attention (i.e., stops) by LE.
    Any truth to that here? I've always told students that it doesn't, but since I've no personal experience to draw from, I thought it merited a more qualified answer.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Well, I may have jumped too soon. I got a call from the LD Wednesday, 10 Feb, asking for my official title. The guy said the permit should be printed that day and mailed shortly thereafter. Since I'm not too far from there, I asked if I could pick it up. He said sure and to call back the next morning. I did and spoke with who I assume to be the receptionist. She acted like I was asking for her firstborn. "I don't know who you talked to, but no one picks up permits." She then checked and told me my permit wasn't approved yet. Crap.:mad54:

I submitted my package around 23 November, and the 90 day mark will be 21 February.
    Those dates are encouraging because they match mine. Was told I should be in final processing end of this week or beginning of next.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Don't look for MSP LD to follow any sort of set timeframe. In Sep my renewal took 16 days. In Dec my SIL renewal took 18 days. My wife's renewal was received by MSP on Dec 21. That's 54 days ago. Rivalled today to make sure it hadn't been lost. I was told " we're swamped and short of people but she'll have it before her old one expires". Never mind that the MSP LD SOP states that renewals will be done in 30 days or the permit holders will be notified of reasons for any delay. So much for Polassi and a new LD commander making changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I will try to source a LEO from each of the local subdivisions (DC/MD/VA) and document the process and methods LEOs use to identify responsible citizens with handgun permits in each of the area jurisdictions. Knowledge and information can only enhance each party's personal safety and understanding. It may also help mitigate some of the misinformation and misleading and erroneous information provided by the Maryland State Police regarding permit policies and procedures.

The findings will be published on MSI's Wikipedia. If you are a LEO and want to help, please Pm me.

With regard to permit approvals and turn around time...

I have personal knowledge of at least three persons, other than myself, who were told that they would be approved and permits issued on Friday (Apparently they only mail them one day a week), many to be told later that they were denied.

Integrity, Honor, Service.

I suspect this has to do with the small Licensing Division committee that reviews applications and the recommendation of the investigating officer(s) and or Licensing Division Trooper who processes the application.

I would not be surprised at all if the committee flips a coin to determine if the know G&S when they see it, or approval rests on the personal biases, ego or political leanings of whomever was available (i.e. Disciplinary transfer/light duty/vacation leave) to makeup the panel.

I have personal knowledge of others that have picked up permits in person, mostly after their applications have been lost or some other type of negligence or bungling.

This while licensing scheme needs to be studied and overhauled. Other states, like Utah and Florida do a much better job ensuring the public safety and providing an effective, efficient service to taxpayers and stakeholders.

Eventually, I believe, the current scheme will collapse under its own incompetence.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    Eventually, I believe, the current scheme will collapse under its own incompetence.

They are already shutting down the bullet database, as I'm sure you know.

Attempting to purchase a gun in MD is overly complicated and expensive. People definitely should not have to go through all of this to get a permit.... ridiculous.

I am tempted to read this and try to get my MD permit... I've had a couple over the years, FL and SC. Right now I have my FL... got that back in Nov. It took about two weeks after I mailed it to them for me to be approved and have my permit in my hands. I had one in FL before and let it expire though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom