• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Up near Mt. Porte Crayon there are some monsters that probably never have seen a human before. I captured a couple on game cameras I've put up there last year. Unfortunately it is a difficult area to get into (at least a 5 mile hike) and once the snows start in November nearly impossible to access for hunting.

I summitted Mount Porte Crayon and found the benchmark and geocache at the summit. That was one hell of a hike, the last quarter mile took an hour.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I summitted Mount Porte Crayon and found the benchmark and geocache at the summit. That was one hell of a hike, the last quarter mile took an hour.

:party29:

There is a better trail up to the top now. You have to come around onto the Flatrock Run trail and get on the old railroad grade, follow the RR grade around to the West where the first switchback ends and go up about 20 yards to catch the new trail. It takes you up past Thunderstruck Rocks to the summit.

My 9 year-old boy did it this summer with me and mom and signed the notebook at the summit.

Our property borders the west side of Mt. Porte Crayon, so it is a bit easier for us to get up there than it is for most others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom