• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Just got the phone call from #1 son, "hey dad I shot a decent buck. He ran 20 yards and crashed but I think he may have gotten back up."
    We'll see how the morning unfolds.

Edit: he didn't get up. Eight pointer on opening day. :)

Nice start to the season!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Man, I shouldn’t complain, but it’s like a damn Disney movie in my backyard right now. Bambi is eating nose to nose with thumper. Fawns aren’t worth the effort for me right now and thumper is waiting on rabbit season.

Sadly the dawn did not bring momma today. Last night it was the two fawns and two bigger does.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I skipped today because I've been neglecting the family due to work travel. Going to take off a couple of mornings midweek.

But damn if I didn't see about 40 different deer on my 15 minute drive home just now.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So purchased a brand new blind, set it out last night only to see a bear "play" with it this morning.

Caught him in the act....literally collapsed the blind and was playing. Went on the deck and scared him away.

Looks like bite marks through $500 blind that didnt make 24 hours.

Attachments

• 20190907_082311.jpg
      20190907_082311.jpg
      136 KB · Views: 361
    • 20190907_083817.jpg
      20190907_083817.jpg
      142.3 KB · Views: 366

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Got impatient and decided some veal venison would be nice.

Originally I had gotten home from work at 1 and missed a big doe in my backyard by a couple of minutes. She was eating her way out the gate as I stood in my bedroom. Fawn came in and I checked her out. Bumped the big doe and another big girl sleeping back in the woods 50yds away and the fawn took off. Went to mow an hour later and had JUST checked out the window and the yard was empty. Round the corner to go get my mower and a fawn is standing on the top of the hill in the backyard. Runs off, I go inside and see it settle down in front of a big oak right behind my fence.

I figured enough of this crap, I want a deer. Even if it’s a little one. Got the crossbow, snuck out there, stood up and spent about 15 minutes creeping the last couple of yards to get support from a tree in front of me. Neck shot as it was laying down 18yds away in tall grass. Took two more neck shots to put it down. First one hit the back of his neck and cut all the muscles there, but didn’t cut the spine (a little too glancing). Took a second shot as he settled down a little (he could barely move). Also lesson learned to bring a knife with me, even if “surprise hunting” at home. Destroyed a blade on the second arrow. Oh well.

Didn’t go more than 10yds total. So one for the freezer at least. Always nice to of one away early. Also feels amazing to hunt on my own property for the first time in my life.

Attachments

• E27F2130-73FC-4610-9124-B7FAFD8E790B.jpg
      E27F2130-73FC-4610-9124-B7FAFD8E790B.jpg
      164 KB · Views: 362

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Nice little 8pt for the wall and the freezer on Friday. I think I was in the tree maybe 45 minutes. His big brother is taunting me at the same location in the evening hours. He will slip up soon. Was hoping to burn through my bonus stamp on day 2. Where the white oaks fall the deer are hitting hard.
    0Kl0tWe.jpg
    R85rxBL.jpg

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Just need him to come by during the day. Its a long season though and need to spread the taxidermy bill out.
    RFkJXTP.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice!

I’ve been seeing a huge 9 point going through my yard and my neighbor snapped a picture of it in his yard yesterday. Hoping he’ll slip up eventually. I am hoping to have the time to start actively hunting some evenings and mornings soon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Damn no Sunday hunting.

A pair of 7s and an 8 feeding through my side yard. No pictured was the big do and middling spike they were with.

Attachments

• B85A98D2-8F98-48AF-BB68-C38F1B5BAFC7.jpg
      B85A98D2-8F98-48AF-BB68-C38F1B5BAFC7.jpg
      82.1 KB · Views: 409
    • F3135E93-C4B7-4CF5-B3F2-A8D1EF7BA70C.jpg
      F3135E93-C4B7-4CF5-B3F2-A8D1EF7BA70C.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 429

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yes at 35 yards on the rangefinder.
    nice!

So purchased a brand new blind, set it out last night only to see a bear "play" with it this morning.

Caught him in the act....literally collapsed the blind and was playing. Went on the deck and scared him away.

Looks like bite marks through $500 blind that didnt make 24 hours.
    They know better here...they are much more leery.

Got impatient and decided some veal venison would be nice.

Originally I had gotten home from work at 1 and missed a big doe in my backyard by a couple of minutes. She was eating her way out the gate as I stood in my bedroom. Fawn came in and I checked her out. Bumped the big doe and another big girl sleeping back in the woods 50yds away and the fawn took off. Went to mow an hour later and had JUST checked out the window and the yard was empty. Round the corner to go get my mower and a fawn is standing on the top of the hill in the backyard. Runs off, I go inside and see it settle down in front of a big oak right behind my fence.

I figured enough of this crap, I want a deer. Even if it’s a little one. Got the crossbow, snuck out there, stood up and spent about 15 minutes creeping the last couple of yards to get support from a tree in front of me. Neck shot as it was laying down 18yds away in tall grass. Took two more neck shots to put it down. First one hit the back of his neck and cut all the muscles there, but didn’t cut the spine (a little too glancing). Took a second shot as he settled down a little (he could barely move). Also lesson learned to bring a knife with me, even if “surprise hunting” at home. Destroyed a blade on the second arrow. Oh well.

Didn’t go more than 10yds total. So one for the freezer at least. Always nice to of one away early. Also feels amazing to hunt on my own property for the first time in my life.
    did you wipe the milk off its lips?:lol2: I dunno if its even legal to shoot them here with spots But Im in a different state...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    nice!

They know better here...they are much more leery.

did you wipe the milk off its lips?:lol2: I dunno if its even legal to shoot them here with spots But Im in a different state...

Maryland they want you to kill as many as you can. Limit is 15 antlerless per weapon season if I remember correctly? It’s at least 10.

I live in a neighborhood of 1-7 acre properties with most on the medium side of that. Near a state park. A few bigger farms by the state park. By my count I’ve got around 40-50 different deer that are coming by/through my property over the course of a week. I’ve ID’d at least ~20 or so I know are unique.

At least as far as I am aware it’s me and 2 other guys who hunt in our neighborhood on 5-7 acre properties.

It’s a little overrun with them.

But I would have rather taken a bigger one. I also like adding something to the freezer early on. Then I get pickier. I’ll admit, I haven’t been hunting too long (5 season for me) and just move to this property in May. So a little confidence building is good for me. Plus never neck shot a deer and I’ll admit to a little bit of trial and error and didn’t want to try that on a bigger deer first. Not sure I would again unless I had zero other options. Not if it was on the hoof and might string jump or move. At least not with a bow. It was humane enough, but I can also see where it could more easily go wrong.

Plus tender venison. Can’t complain too much on that. Though I’d prefer a yearling. A lot more meat, still pretty darned tender.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    On Friday I hunted a very nice spot in MoCo that has produced for me early season in previous years; yet I saw and heard no deer. I saw several raccoons, did some birding, watched a pair of owls, and heard some coyotes at dusk. While I always want to get a deer, the rest of the forest is always a pleasure to be with--especially when the weather is comfortable like now. I ended up having to give the raccoons a little "talking to" as they started climbing the tree I was sitting in. I figured that was a good testimony to my scent and movement control, but they definitely didn't seem like good pets that I should let sit on my lap.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    On Friday I hunted a very nice spot in MoCo that has produced for me early season in previous years; yet I saw and heard no deer. I saw several raccoons, did some birding, watched a pair of owls, and heard some coyotes at dusk. While I always want to get a deer, the rest of the forest is always a pleasure to be with--especially when the weather is comfortable like now. I ended up having to give the raccoons a little "talking to" as they started climbing the tree I was sitting in. I figured that was a good testimony to my scent and movement control, but they definitely didn't seem like good pets that I should let sit on my lap.

Any Largemouth? :D

That's always the way isn't it?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Were you in a Canadian neighborhood?

'Drunk' raccoons spotted stumbling around in Canadian neighborhood
    https://www.foxnews.com/science/canada-drunk-raccoons-stumbling

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Glad it only took 3 shots for that beast. ROTF

Hmm, I said two more in my first post. Meant two total. First probably would have done it if I didn’t mind waiting 5 or 10 minutes. Second one and it was gone in less than a minute. If I’d had my knife, I would have saved the arrow...though I really don’t want to have to finish off any deer with a knife.

Seen a couple big does today, but didn’t come near enough or wrong time (“honey, get the kids ready for school, I gotta go shoot a doe in the yard” doesn’t usually go over well).

Setup my game camera and ground blind today. I am hoping I can do a morning sit Saturday. Evening sits are probably going to have to wait till sunset is earlier so I am done before dinner time.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Hmm, I said two more in my first post. Meant two total. First probably would have done it if I didn’t mind waiting 5 or 10 minutes. Second one and it was gone in less than a minute. If I’d had my knife, I would have saved the arrow...though I really don’t want to have to finish off any deer with a knife.

Seen a couple big does today, but didn’t come near enough or wrong time (“honey, get the kids ready for school, I gotta go shoot a doe in the yard” doesn’t usually go over well).

Setup my game camera and ground blind today. I am hoping I can do a morning sit Saturday. Evening sits are probably going to have to wait till sunset is earlier so I am done before dinner time.

I wont bust your chops about the size of your deer. I actually like to shoot one small deer a year, they are perfect for steaks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wont bust your chops about the size of your deer. I actually like to shoot one small deer a year, they are perfect for steaks.

I hear you. I would have preferred a late season fawn so it had a little more meat to it. Probably next year I’ll hold off for that.

Now’s the time to find some bigger ones. Got the ground blind out, trail cam up, mineral salt licks been out a couple of weeks (I think they are ignoring it for now) and thinking about making a corn pile. Watched another fawn and her mom walk through my clearing near the salt lick from my garage window, but they never got closer than 60yds. Would have been 30 from the blind if it had been up and me in it.

Out of curiosity what does everyone think of lighted nocks? I’ve never lost an arrow or had one stuck in a deer. Any thoughts on does it make it easier enough to find your arrow to make it worth while? Just thinking of anything I can do to step up my archery game. Probably getting a new crossbow next year. I’ve got a basic Barnett which works fine and is nice and accurate (3 bolts in 2” at 30yds sitting, no support), but it is pretty heavy, especially front heavy. I’d put a little weight in the stock, but it’s probably already 10lbs with the 3 bolt quiver and 4x scope on it. I think either 320 or 330fps.

I am hoping I can find something a pound or so lighter, preferably better balanced, but the lighter weight gives me more flexibility to add a bit of weight in the stock. Preferably more like 350-380fps. Also hoping to not break the bank. $300-600 would probably be my price range.

Leave my current xbow in the garage then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom