• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    There are problems with that approach. I think it's been discussed in this sticky thread in the MD 2A forum.

Yes the problem is wasting time, money, and energy fighting a communist govt who is using OUR money and unlimited resources to fight us. Yes I understand the anti 2A cancer spreads, but going back to my home state, I will be afforded the opportunity to buy whatever AR15 I want, regardless of barrel profile, buy 1 or 25 handguns and AR lowers and walk out of the store with them in the same hour. My hour glass is running out, there’s less sand left than what’s been used. I want to enjoy my firearms freedoms once again and not feel like such a prisoner. I’ll continue to donate and come to Annapolis while I’m here, but I’m hoping my time in Maryland is coming to the finish line.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    No, the 77r is voluntary registration upon transfer of ownership also.

As I stated, there was a statement on the back that completion of the form indicated that you wanted to "voluntarily" register the firearm also.

Yes, you can also use it to register a firearm that was not purchased in MD.

Having moved to MD, I can tell you that the new resident registration is done through the My License portal, not 77R. It is a separate system. It is the same system that was used for MG registration until they suspended it 2 years ago.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Voluntary registration is for current residents who want to register any gun not registered.

Doesn’t really help OP because they have already informed him he is not eligible.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    There are problems with that approach. I think it's been discussed in this sticky thread in the MD 2A forum.

The problem is Maryland, 80+ guns banned, HQL, 7 day wait, not shall issue and on and on..
    I was born raised and lived in Maryland for 40+ years, been there done that...

Life is too short to live in a commie state.......
    Maryland will never change, if you believe it will you are living in Neverland...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes indeed, there are several Maryland specific Disqualifiers that would not be disqualifying under Federal Law .

To more fully flesh out my above post :

Once you are Prohibited * In Maryland * , you are fully Prohibited from possession of Any Firearms * In Maryland * .

You status in other jurisdictions would depend on their State Laws , plus Federal Law .

FSA 2013 added several Maryland specific Disqualification that are different , ie more restrictive , than Federal Law .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The problem is Maryland, 80+ guns banned, HQL, 7 day wait, not shall issue and on and on..
    I was born raised and lived in Maryland for 40+ years, been there done that...

Life is too short to live in a commie state.......
    Maryland will never change, if you believe it will you are living in Neverland...

100% agreed

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And no, the 77R is not the form for a new residence .

Here is the link to the info on new resident registration. $15 fee, for any number of firearms. https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Having moved to MD, I can tell you that the new resident registration is done through the My License portal, not 77R. It is a separate system. It is the same system that was used for MG registration until they suspended it 2 years ago.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Voluntary registration is for current residents who want to register any gun not registered.

Doesn’t really help OP because they have already informed him he is not eligible.

Which I said 2 pages ago. :D

The other point I was making is that EVERY firearm sold in my via a Form 77, is "voluntarily" registered. You had the "choice" to either register or not purchase.

Ciditad

Nov 27, 2019
    Quick update: I've spoken with Ed Hershon and he is taking on my case. Hopefully the sale of the P7 will pay for this (I'm told it's not sold yet).

Thanks to everyone who have given their opinion and time to reply to this thread, the insights and thought angles were amazing. Whatever the outcome I will forever be grateful to you all for your support.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Wouldn't you be able to argue that the Maryland crime is not equivalent to the CA crime because they are in different states.? The elements of the crime may not be the same, so they are different and applied differently. It was adjudicated in the State of California, not MD. So, I would think the prohibition would be based on the maximum time of the CA violation, not the MD violation. That's what I would argue. Also, this might be a good one to pass on to MSI for potential litigation.

Think I would argue ex post facto and full faith and credit among states. How the heck can pleading guilty to a charge in one state, wherein the max sentence does not make one prohibited, change that fact by moving to another state?

Then again, doesn't Maryland have more restrictive gun laws than the feds wherein a person can be prohibited for a PBJ on a crime of violence, even if it is expunged? I would need to double check the law on that one.

OP - no matter how you slice this, it is going to take a decent amount of research to even figure out if you have a case, and most attorneys are not going to do all that research for free.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Quick update: I've spoken with Ed Hershon and he is taking on my case. Hopefully the sale of the P7 will pay for this (I'm told it's not sold yet).

Thanks to everyone who have given their opinion and time to reply to this thread, the insights and thought angles were amazing. Whatever the outcome I will forever be grateful to you all for your support.

Did he tell you that you have a 50/50 outcome in this?

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

congrats. let us know how it goes

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Which I said 2 pages ago. :D

The other point I was making is that EVERY firearm sold in my via a Form 77, is "voluntarily" registered. You had the "choice" to either register or not purchase.

I see that now, I misinterpreted your first comment.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

I just read this entire thread. Unbelievable story, man. I am sorry to hear that you have to go through this. I am glad to see that you are fighting it. Keep us in the loop. I am interested to see what the outcome will be. One more F'd up Maryland story for the books. This is the first time that I have heard of this particular mishap in this state.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Then again, doesn't Maryland have more restrictive gun laws than the feds wherein a person can be prohibited for a PBJ on a crime of violence, even if it is expunged? I would need to double check the law on that one.

IIRC you're prohibited while on probation under the PBJ, as per the law passed a couple years back. Once the probation is over and the case expunged, you're no longer prohibited.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would like to think that good luck and "the Force" are not needed for the OP to prevail, but every last bit helps I suppose. In that spirit, I'll add "God be with you!"

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    OP seems more understanding than I would be about selling off his collection. I would have looked for a more temp solution if I planned on fighting it. Send them back to your parents or work an arrangement for storage at an FFL until resolved. From the sound if it, it seems you have the collection on consignment, maybe not too late to work out something with the FFL.

I am still trying to figure out what the actual crime was for posting on a motorcycle forum at work that is punishable up to even 1 year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom