• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    WLP should have retired a long time ago, but make no mistake, this is market based compensation and what an organization with the statute and visibility of the NRA will need to pay the next set of executives. Like it or dont, this is a fact. This is what C-level people make. This is roughly what WLP successor will make.

The best value on this list is General Counsel, at $489k, and CFO/Treasurer at $650k. They can make much more in a similar roles elsewhere. To get someone new in the job will cost a lot more. People are certainly not taking a pay cut to work for the NRA, if anything they will demand hazard pay given the current environment. Executives, like most things follow the rule that you get what you pay for. I am sure that the average MDS member might do it for $250k, but they would do a shitty job. So, if you think how shitty these executives are performing, imagine how much more will have to be paid to get better people.

The question is not "how much do they make" - this is what c-level people make. The question is value-add. Are revenues going up? If not, it does not matter if they are working for free.

***** There’s a lot of good info and spot on analysis above. The salaries listed seem high to the average working person bringing in 61k a year or perhaps a decent IT guy in the area making 200k, but the skill set required to work at the levels needed to keep a big enterprise rolling are very rare and relatively few people can do the job well. There are people not far from my neighborhood, who are at that salary and compensation range, and they have small to medium sized local businesses (perhaps 100 million or so in EBITDA, certainly under a billion..) that they built up over some time, or they were hired to keep the business humming along, or to acquire other talent and close the sales needed on big projects, etc.. There are some no name CEO’s and CFO’s at companies that are not household names who make seven figures a month, including incentives - and they look like just average dudes and dudettes while sitting at Uncle Julio’s or shopping for Chocolate covered raisins at Trader Joe’s. Drive out to the poorer parts of Potomac and look at some of the bigger homes that are not quite at the gated community level - the folks that live in those houses generally work for a living as opposed to having inherited wealth from a family member who long ago developed those mints they put in urinals at finer dining establishments, or whatever.

I know a few CEO’s at organizations about the size of the NRA revenue wise, but not notoriety wise, and what danb writes in his post about their compensation is about spot on IME. I went to college, and have marketable skills in my field that have allowed me to make a comfortable living, working a LOT less hard than the guys outside my window right now literally digging ditches and moving gravel around the foundation of my future neighbors homes. I can’t do what those ditch digging people are doing outside my home (at least do it well...), and I’m reasonably certain they can’t do my job either. I know for a fact I can’t do what those C-list salaried CEO’s and other executives at that level do. It’s a rare skill set for sure, and it’s more than just having a college degree or being able to glad hand, and schmooze with others in the executive washroom or at company cornnhole competitions, etc... The free market has determined the compensation level I am remunerated at, and it’s the same for the head guys at the NRA, and most every other organization at that level and beyond.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Too many people on here think they could do WLP's job in jeans and a WWNC t-shirt in return for free range time at HQ. Most people, myself included, don't realize how much highly qualified people are compensated for making big decisions.

Yes, choosing how to spend hard earned and donated American dollars on what and how many custom tailored suits, and having to decide on what new NRA President
    Mansion will be suitable, after spending hundreds of thousands for upgrades, and after being compensated big bucks in the first place,
    would be really tough decisions to have to make.
    Thank God I am not WLP,
    I might have trouble weighing all the good I have done against the excessive benefits and perks I awarded myself.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I know people who are authorized to drop nuclear bombs, if required, and they make 50K per year. I don 't believe the link between salaries and big decisions is quit what you think it is.

Not an Apples to Apples comparison. Those people you know are required to follow orders or be dishonorably discharged if they are lucky not to receive worse fate. Executives don't have anyone giving them orders on how to make tough decisions. That's what they get paid for in theory at least.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Not an Apples to Apples comparison. Those people you know are required to follow orders or be dishonorably discharged if they are lucky not to receive worse fate. Executives don't have anyone giving them orders on how to make tough decisions. That's what they get paid for in theory at least.

Ok, I'll raise my number to 100k, and now the generals and admirals are making those decisions.

Or, 400k for the president.

Still not 2 million a year.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    CEO and board member compensation is out of control. It’s become the but everyone else argument that doesn’t make it right. If you’re going to make that kind of compensation one would expect better results than we are seeing.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The last two issues of American Rifleman magazine have included long articles from Mr. Wayne LaPierre in which he describes all the successes the NRA has accomplished with him at the helm. It came across to me as a way of justifying his worth to the organization. Personally, I do not have a problem with his high salary for the reasons the others have suggested, but I do wonder why someone so highly compensated also needs all the perks that he has allegedly been taking. I wish that the NRA would come clean about all the perks that their senior executives get so that we cam all judge for ourselves whether the perks are reasonable or not. I do not know how much one reads about these matters in the media is accurate, so a clear clarification from the NRA would be very helpful to me.

Cal68

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A lot of in-house Byzantine backstabbing going on at NRA HQ.

WLP ought to have taken a hike months ago, for the good of the organisation. Instead, we have a lot of dancing around and spinning ******** while dissenters get shoved out the back door.

It's just too hard to say goodbye to $2,000,000+ a year, and all the fancy clothes. I get it.

WLP doen't get it, that a good proportion of the NRA membership sees him as bringing down a raft of crap on the NRA, at a time when its mission is critical. Too many people playing fast and loose with too much money, makes the outfit look bad. And that leads into media spin further poisoning the well. Providing ammunition for the opposition to smearing the organisation amd weakening it at a vulnerable time is just wrong.

When the NRA flushes all this crap and gets back to work, I'll re-start contributing. As it stands now, my Life Endowment membership stays fiscally inactive. Shame on them.

Please don't start with the line about how much we need the NRA, and I shouldn't be talking smack about them. That's the same smarmy fearmongering ******** that the politicians are so good at shoveling. "Support my campaign or your rights will be lost" in a pig's eye. 90% of them just want to stay in office, and will say whatever they think will keep them there.

I've fired the NRA as my lobbyist. Change my mind by changing your dirty underwear.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big Money Non-Profits are sausage making in action . All of them . Nothing that size gets run for free ( or regular working stiff wages , which round off to free at these levels ) .

WLP needs to leave for other reasons , not his salary and benefits package per se .

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

What tough decision is Wayne making? Where to get his next manicure or what wine to drink at dinner? Maybe he's planning his next shopping spree in Beverley Hills on the membership dime. Can't wear last year's fashion while taking a photo with a fudd gun broken over his arm. FWLaP

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    This is a serious issue.

While people who work for the NRA need to be compensated more than the average, due to the view that working for the NRA is career suicide, especially in the DC area....

...however, the current level of compensation is obscene for some of the top officers.

Basically, they're compensating themselves like the NRA was the AARP, when in reality, the NRA has 1/10 the numbers and clout the AARP does.

Also, every dollar wasted on Wayne's suits and other C level compensation is a dollar not spent on fighting gun laws in court. Isn't that what the NRA is supposedly for?

gcwood

Continental Soldier
    Jun 26, 2013
    Sadly Disgusting!!!

I am a Life member and am now ashamed of that fact. The NRA is currently doing more damage than good to our cause. Don't ask me for money! Contribute yourselves!!! And salaries that large are absurd at a non-profit. The ROI for their "Big Decisions" is certainly not worth it!!! We need another organization that fights for our rights without lying, stealing and enriching themselves.

fchan

Dec 14, 2015
    Columbia, MD
    Maybe you all wish you could earn as much! I think you should do a comparison of salaries and benefits of other nationwide member organizations before condemning the NRA. If they are way out of line, then shame on them.
    Don't try to tear down the NRA now! We need them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    While I dont have a problem with high C-level salaries, I do have a problem with this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...4f3f60-0c61-11ea-a49f-9066f51640f6_story.html

During that same period, NRA spending plunged 22 percent for education and training, 61 percent for hunter services and 51 percent for field services, which includes organizing volunteers, fundraising for shooting sports and promoting the NRA at gun shows and other events, according to a previously released audit.

According to the tax filing, legal fees more than tripled in 2018, to more than $25 million. For the first time, the tax filing lists the Texas law firm of William Brewer III as one of its most highly compensated contractors, receiving $13.8 million.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Compensation is only an issue when it is not matched, or even approached, by results.

Permitting outrageous draining of resources indicates that responsible oversight by highly-compensated executives is lacking; this should have been addressed by the BoD, and those (ir)responsible should have been terminated.

The NRA BoD is overweight to the point of being useless; seats are allocated for media appeal, not effective oversight. This may well have been a cynical program to neuter the Board so that the leadership would be untroubled by any interference.

OK, I'll bite.

The OP was pretty effective in eliciting the kind of response the Gun Controllers want. They are trying to tear down the standard bearer for the 2nd Amendment from without, the responses on this thread do it from within. Yes, I know the GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, etc. - I donate to all of them - but the NRA is the gorilla in the room for the anti-2A crowd. The one that has confounded them for years. The one they want to destroy to get their way.

I remember in 2013 when I went on my first demonstration in Annapolis, the NRA was instrumental in getting testimony organized and heard. Frankly, I was disappointed in the response of Maryland at the time. There was a shallow turnout and so many admitted to not voting - MD legislators didn't take it serious then and they don't today.

If you want to fight for your guns, do so; contribute to those you feel represent your interests the best, but don't tear down any on your side. If you don't like how they do it, get active and change it. :banghead:

NRA, Life Member; GOA, Life Member; and regular contributor to SAF

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    OK, I'll bite.

The OP was pretty effective in eliciting the kind of response the Gun Controllers want. They are trying to tear down the standard bearer for the 2nd Amendment from without, the responses on this thread do it from within. Yes, I know the GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, etc. - I donate to all of them - but the NRA is the gorilla in the room for the anti-2A crowd. The one that has confounded them for years. The one they want to destroy to get their way.

I remember in 2013 when I went on my first demonstration in Annapolis, the NRA was instrumental in getting testimony organized and heard. Frankly, I was disappointed in the response of Maryland at the time. There was a shallow turnout and so many admitted to not voting - MD legislators didn't take it serious then and they don't today.

If you want to fight for your guns, do so; contribute to those you feel represent your interests the best, but don't tear down any on your side. If you don't like how they do it, get active and change it. :banghead:

NRA, Life Member; GOA, Life Member; and regular contributor to SAF

There's a difference between "tear down" and repair/renovate. It's hard to see how to get the attention of those who are in a position to remedy the situation, short of initiating some kind of pushback. Wallets are good targets; see my sig line.

Meanwhile, 2013: the 4000+ Marylanders who turned up in Annapolis was the largest crowd - by at least an order of magnitude - ever to turn up to testify on a bill. Not a shallow turnout. The (lack of) attention paid to us by the GA certainly displayed how the turnout affected our legislators.

The threats against the safety of the NRA rep of the period and her family, Sharon Alford, which caused her subsequently to abandon her NRA position, and the remarkable lack of interest in MD's "justice" system (and the NRA) in pursuing her threateners, speaks volumes about the organisation's fervent pursuit of its goal - which seems to be mainly amassing big numbers, of contributions and members. The defenders decry the limited resources they command, and the futility of spending their hard-won funds in a hopeless cause in MD.

But a couple million a year is easily come by to keep Wayne in new suits and mansions.

Suggestions regarding how else "getting active and changing it" could be carried out would be welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom