• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I've travelled back and forth to family in WV with some guns, as we go to the range when i'm in town. I have stopped to feed the kids and such, so I can't see how anyone would interpret the law as literally meaning NO STOPS. some are unavoidable. I have stopped at stores and such to/from a range, too, knowing that it was possible that if anyone found out I could be hip deep in manure. Still, I can't see how stopping for gas or a gallon of milk is that big a deal. that said, i'd never have a gun or ammo w/in easy reach and i'd for darn sure never try wearing one loaded, unloaded, in any manner at all without a carry permit and a lawyer to interpret all the restrictions on it. I have no respect for the gun laws in Maryland, but I certainly have great amounts of fear.

The answer boils down to two things: Common sense (you) and nonsense (MD).

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Correct but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

In 1993 I was stopped for speeding while getting a birthday present for a friend. I had a unloaded revolver in a enclosed holster locked in my glovebox since we would be shooting later. Despite being 30 miles out of my way the trooper wrote me a ticket and cut me loose.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    No it doesn't, it states transporting, not transporting directly. Nothing in there prohibits reasonable stops. If the law read like California's law, then it would mean no stops. Maryland law is silent on whether stops are authorized, but considering that Maryland's law is heavily based on the laws passed in CA one would assume that if they meant "directly" they would have stated so like this:

# 12026.2. (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
    (1) The possession of a firearm by an authorized participant in a motion picture, television, or video production or entertainment event when the participant lawfully uses the firearm as part of that production or event or while going directly to, or coming directly from, that production or event.
    (2) The possession of a firearm in a locked container by a member of any club or organization, organized for the purpose of lawfully collecting and lawfully displaying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms, while the member is at meetings of the clubs or organizations or while going directly to, and coming directly from, those meetings.
    (3) The transportation of a firearm by a participant when going directly to, or coming directly from, a recognized safety or hunter safety class, or a recognized sporting event involving that firearm....

Maryland law does not state that the person must be traveling DIRECTLY to or from an authorized activity. Never read into the law... I am not a lawyer, I don't pretend to be a lawyer, I would prefer to have a lawyer's opinion on this, but this is the belief I hold.

Mark

After getting my CCW, MSP told me that to and from work meant just that. NO stops for gas or the supermarket would be permited.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    After getting my CCW, MSP told me that to and from work meant just that. NO stops for gas or the supermarket would be permited.

I think it's apples and oranges. MSP may have been clarifying your particular restrictions to carry a concealed weapon using your permit under § 5-307, but they are in no position to "interpret" what 4-203(b)(3-9) means regarding transit and stops.

In reading further, 4-203(b)(4) and (5) never state that you must begin or end your trip at home. In essence, 4-203(b)(5) is almost giving people with a "Designated Collector" or even a C&R FFL a free pass to carry an unloaded handgun anywhere as long as that individual has part of his/her collection with them to carry "from place to place" for a private showing. So always keep two unloaded guns in your car. :D

I also am not a lawyer.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I think it's apples and oranges. MSP may have been clarifying your particular restrictions to carry a concealed weapon using your permit under § 5-307, but they are in no position to "interpret" what 4-203(b)(3-9) means regarding transit and stops.

In reading further, 4-203(b)(4) and (5) never state that you must begin or end your trip at home. In essence, 4-203(b)(5) is almost giving people with a "Designated Collector" or even a C&R FFL a free pass to carry an unloaded handgun anywhere as long as that individual has part of his/her collection with them to carry "from place to place" for a private showing. So always keep two unloaded guns in your car. :D

I also am not a lawyer.

And this is precisely what I did when I went to do a stock clinic recently. My Ruger LCP was in a case in my front seat with a magazine beside it while I was transporting my 2 M14S's to the stock clinic. I am a bonafide collector and even the handgun could be considered part of my collection.

4 more months and I move to VA, where my Texas carry permit is honored. No more of this BS to deal with.

Mark

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    If you need to stop, as a precaution, remove all paraphernalia of your persons that would suggest you have a firearm in your vehicle(i.e. range badge, etc.).

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

- - - -
    I also am not a lawyer.

Actually, the MSP does get to interpret how to enforce the law.

The question is whether the prosecutor who agrees with the interpretation can convince the judge that the MSP interpretation is "reasonable" and consistent with "what the legislature intended."

Brock L.

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, you can have it on your person (while traveling).

It does not specify if where the weapon 'will' be stored during travel, so the answer by default is: Yes, you 'should' be able to have the weapon on, or about, your person while traveling (remember this does not imply concealment).

If you read the legislature is states specific places a person can be transporting their weapons to or from.

Places like gas stations, or "on the way" to a specified place are not permitted. Because.. your new route would be "from" the gas station, and "to" home (or wherever you were headed).

Being stopped in traffic (since traffic or the interstate/highway isn't a.. facility or.. 'place' ie: work/school/park/store) would still be considered 'en route' (if that is in fact what you were doing).

No i'm not a lawyer, I just read into the verbage.
    "words mean things"

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It does not specify if where the weapon 'will' be stored during travel, so the answer by default is: Yes, you 'should' be able to have the weapon on, or about, your person while traveling (remember this does not imply concealment).

If you read the legislature is states specific places a person can be transporting their weapons to or from.

Places like gas stations, or "on the way" to a specified place are not permitted. Because.. your new route would be "from" the gas station, and "to" home (or wherever you were headed).

Being stopped in traffic (since traffic or the interstate/highway isn't a.. facility or.. 'place' ie: work/school/park/store) would still be considered 'en route' (if that is in fact what you were doing).

No i'm not a lawyer, I just read into the verbage.
    "words mean things"

You need to reread 4-203.

No where in the statute the word "directly" is used.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I know that 99% of the LEO's will not interpret it this way but the law (MD 4-203) as quoted in it's entirety above states clearly that a person may wear a firearm ON THEIR PERSON on the way to or returning from a target shoot as long as the pistol is unloaded and in an enclosed holster. Has anyone here tested that theory yet?

Don't you mean to ask, "has anyone tested this theory that is not in jail?"

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    It does not specify if where the weapon 'will' be stored during travel, so the answer by default is: Yes, you 'should' be able to have the weapon on, or about, your person while traveling (remember this does not imply concealment)."

Respective you could not be more wrong. Try your theory out and let us know where to come visit you after your traffic stop.

First of all, the law is written in a way that creates more questions then it answers. Take the word "secured", now does secured mean in a holster with a simple snap strap? Or does secured locking mechanism? Does secured mean out of reach?

If you ask 10 LEO's this question you will get 10 different answers just on the definition of the word secured.

When I went to my F to F my trooper was telling me to him this law means in a holster, unloaded, in a zippered range bag sitting completely out of reach of anyone in the car. He went on to say it should be in the trunk if a trunk is available.

So in other words this trooper reads the Maryland law, but thinks the federal law. So if you are lucky enough to have your traffic stop by this trooper, how do you think you will make out as you explain to him how he is wrong as you tell him what you think the law allows?

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So what's the verdict for transporting a handgun out of state? Specifically, I understand several, or many, members of MDS hold CCW licenses for other states, in fact I'm starting the process for the Florida license. You are taking the gun from one place of legal use (your home) to another place of legal use (the neighboring state where you have a legal CCW) Have there been any rulings or advisories on this?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So what's the verdict for transporting a handgun out of state? Specifically, I understand several, or many, members of MDS hold CCW licenses for other states, in fact I'm starting the process for the Florida license. You are taking the gun from one place of legal use (your home) to another place of legal use (the neighboring state where you have a legal CCW) Have there been any rulings or advisories on this?

You will need to follow FOPA when your desitination is in another state.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My understanding is that FOPA covers travel through a state. If you travel to Vermont, FOPA would cover you as you skulk nervously through New York.

I think if I go to a match in Pennsylvania, such as at York IWLA, FOPA does not apply. While in Maryland, my defense would be that I am on my way to a shooting match/ formal or informal competition/ or formal or informal practice. Nothing in the law says the exempting activity has to be in Maryland.

Once I get to Pennsylvania, my argument might be based on similar provisions in Pennsylvania law. Since I have Utah and Florida permits which are recognized in PA, I relax when I cross into PA anyway.

... You are taking the gun from one place of legal use (your home) to another place of legal use (the neighboring state where you have a legal CCW) Have there been any rulings or advisories on this?

As for just driving out of state for no other purpose than to practice carrying with a non-resident permit, someone asked the Attorney General about that. The answer basically came down to the AG not recognizing that as valid. The AG specifically stated that your home does not count as a place of legal use, for purposes of this specific question.. I think that's wrong, but I'm not the AG. The final decision would lie with the judge and jury at your trial, but the AG would argue against your taking your gun and your Florida Permit to an out-of-state Wal Mart just to walk around.

The AG's letter was posted on this forum a year or two ago. It's BS, and it isn't quite the final word, but it is what you would be up against.

If you are only going as far as a neighboring state, I believe you want to be able to claim one of the specific enumerated exemptions listed in the law. Don't count on FOPA or your Florida permit.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    As we know it will all come down to the LEO you may encounter, but also during my FtoF when the trooper was asking me if I knew the existing laws on transporting. I told him that I did, but I also told him that sometimes when I go to the range with a friend of mine we stop for dinner after we leave the rang. I went on to tell the trooper that at dinner we both have a beer.

The trooper told me that was ok as long as I was not under the influence. Now I'm sure all troopers will not tell you that, but the trooper I was talking to did. He went on to tell me that they understand things like stopping to eat or the store between the range and home.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I was told by a LEO that when crossing state lines you have to follow the laws of each state and/or the fed laws depending on which is more strict.

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    Bumping this because I had an HQL student that was arrested after for making a "stop" at Royal Farms after shooting at Freestate. Gun was in the trunk, unloaded, in an enclosed (locked) case. His charges were eventually dropped but he was told if he does it again he's going to jail. He was arrested back in January, he was just recently informed of the dropped charges. Police refuse to inform him of the steps he needs to take to get his gun back from evidence. The sad part is this was his first time going to the range with his first gun. Fortunately it didn't scare him away from exercising his rights. The day his gun rights were restored he bought an AR.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Bumping this because I had an HQL student that was arrested after for making a "stop" at Royal Farms after shooting at Freestate. Gun was in the trunk, unloaded, in an enclosed (locked) case. His charges were eventually dropped but he was told if he does it again he's going to jail. He was arrested back in January, he was just recently informed of the dropped charges. Police refuse to inform him of the steps he needs to take to get his gun back from evidence. The sad part is this was his first time going to the range with his first gun. Fortunately it didn't scare him away from exercising his rights. The day his gun rights were restored he bought an AR.

how exactly was he arrested for a cased gun in his trunk at a gas station? Cops aren't going around checking everyone's trunk every time they stop somewhere. There has to be more to this story.

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    how exactly was he arrested for a cased gun in his trunk at a gas station? Cops aren't going around checking everyone's trunk every time they stop somewhere. There has to be more to this story.

The officer "saw" him leave from Freestate and drive to Royal Farms. Simply walked up and asked him "where are you coming from?" Kid said "the gun range". Officer asked "any guns in the car?". Kid was honest "yes sir. In my trunk."

Edit: in case you're not familiar with the area, RoFo is a block from Freestate and I've been warned of officers "following" people after they leave Freestate to see if they stop anywhere.

Of course, this info is all coming from the kid. But based on the documentation and the charges being dropped and having spent a lot of time talking with him before he even took the HQL class, and since the incident, I believe every word he told me.

xKtF

Nov 5, 2018
    The officer "saw" him leave from Freestate and drive to Royal Farms. Simply walked up and asked him "where are you coming from?" Kid said "the gun range". Officer asked "any guns in the car?". Kid was honest "yes sir. In my trunk."

Edit: in case you're not familiar with the area, RoFo is a block from Freestate and I've been warned of officers "following" people after they leave Freestate to see if they stop anywhere.

Of course, this info is all coming from the kid. But based on the documentation and the charges being dropped and having spent a lot of time talking with him before he even took the HQL class, and since the incident, I believe every word he told me.

He didn't have to let him check his truck or even speak to the officer right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom