• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys. A fellow from VA has a S+W 38 sp 4" M+P revolver on sale here.
    I am very inexperienced with wheel guns. It seems in good condition as far as the description goes. It has been for sale for a long time though for 450.00. C prefix for serial number.
    And he wants 50.00 to ship next day.
    At the risk of losing out to someone else what do you all think. Bud

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    C Prefix covers from 1948 - 1967 .

Does this have a Model Number stamped on the frame, where the crane swings away ?

No Mdl number - up to 1957-ish
    M10 no dash '57 & '58 ,
    M10-4 by conclusion of the C series .

And the value depends on condition, year, condition , Mdl variant, features, and condition .

Depending , could be worth about $450, or less, or more .

Beyond Mdl numbers or not :

Square or round butt ? Original grips ?
    Blue or Nickel ? Original finish, or refinish ? Condition of finish ?
    Mechanical condition , including timing, lock up, end shake ?

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    If it's the one here in the mdshooters classified, there are very good pictures and description in the ad. The price is fair and the seller is willing to help get it transferred to an FFL here in Maryland-stan. Plus it's a MDS member with good feedback so it's not like you're dealing with a complete stranger.

It's been for sale for a while most likely because 70 year old revolvers are a niche market these days.

I don't see a ton of risk but might wanna take a road trip to VA and see if there's a local gunsmith that would give it a quick once-over before you commit.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Based on the photos of the one in the classifieds, it appears to be the original finish with some minor pitting on the bottom of the trigger guard and a little wear on the finish on the sides of the trigger guard. The muzzle also shows some wear. The grips have some marks but are not broken or cracked and appear to be the originals. Looks like a square butt. Cylinder shows normal marks from rotation.

I have no idea of it's value, but it looks like it is in pretty nice shape for it's age. I generally factor in the shipping when considering a purchase. That makes this a $500 gun if shipped.

Curious to know the value, myself.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    You won't get hurt at that price. Condition is everything. Keep in mind that there were about one million of those M&P revolvers made, not counting models marked "Model 10", so we're not talking about a rare collector gun. The right side stock should have the serial number on the underside. They're nice shooters. Lastly, find out what your FFL charges for the transfer. Good luck.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Haven’t looked at the gun in question, but I’m pretty certain I paid more than that for an above average condition but otherwise unremarkable gun several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Save $50, get the seller to drop it at a MD FFL.

Oddly enough, all the interest I've had so far has been from people in the far parts of the state who ask about shipping. I'm hoping someone near northern VA with an FFL03 buys it. It's pretty easy for me to meet near the border.

I do prefer meeting with the buyer though so they can look it over and see exactly what they're getting.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Oddly enough, all the interest I've had so far has been from people in the far parts of the state who ask about shipping. I'm hoping someone near northern VA with an FFL03 buys it. It's pretty easy for me to meet near the border.

I do prefer meeting with the buyer though so they can look it over and see exactly what they're getting.
    Every time I see your ad, I think about re-applying for my C&R. I let it expire a few years ago. :sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , looked at the pics in the classifieds .

A suitable ballpark for pricing , presuming the mechanicals are sound .A serious S&W Collector would try to negotiate a little based upon the disporportionate blue wear at muzzle from improperly fitting holster , but would affect it as a semi-collectable shooter .

If I hadn't recently aquired a similar vintage 2in M&P , I might have been interested in this .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It seems to be in better than average condition.It certainly doesn't exhibit any exterior signs of abuse over its lifetime. I like the old 5-screw Smiths; there was a lot more hand fitting as well as pride of workmanship in those days, something that one can appreciate much better with the gun in hand. As long as the mechanicals check out - lockup and timing, trigger action, I'd think it was close to a bargain.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Arbud and ken792, I've dealt with you both. You're both honorable and decent folks from what I can tell. If something comes up wrong on either end I am positive you can work it out amongst yourselves. Good luck, guys.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    In my view, $500 is a bit much when an extra hundred will get you a decent .357 magnum. That said, if money is an object you're not going to be ripped off. Firearms aren't cheap, but most people, regardless of their pay grade, can afford a good firearm -- an investment in their protection.

The S&W M&P is one I was tracking, to see if the price would come down a bit, but I never thought it was overpriced. I just look for bargains. Functionally, it appears solid, and I'm certain it will handle +P ammo with no problem. That means as a drawer or camping gun, it would be fully functional and effective for self defense or recreational shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom