• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m going to nexro this to see if anything has changed in the last 5 years. Is the lone wolf conversion barrel still the way to go for shooting 9mm in a G23?

I’ve also thought about a full slide and trigger group conversion, but that’s probably more expensive than just buying another Glock.
    Hard to go wrong with LWD.

They did a number of my C conversions.
    IMG_0431.jpeg

I’m going to nexro this to see if anything has changed in the last 5 years. Is the lone wolf conversion barrel still the way to go for shooting 9mm in a G23?

I’ve also thought about a full slide and trigger group conversion, but that’s probably more expensive than just buying another Glock.
    If you buy factory OEM it will be close to the same price. There are decent aftermarket slides and parts available that reduce the price and make it more economical. A friend of mine only owns 2 glocks a 17 and a 19 but he has full slides for .40 for both and .357 sig so it's like owning 6. I have several myself and a few i've built. One in 22TCM9R and am considering getting a 460 Rowland kit for my G21. the 460 has similar ballistics to a 44 mag..the conversion is about $1200 but it's hard to beat 22000 pounds of energy at the muzzle

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The Lone Wolf conversion barrels are fine.

I tell anyone who will list to stay away from their Alphawolf barrels. I've had tons of problems with them. I don't think the conversion comes in Alphawolf, but if you stumble across one, I would skip on by it. Their standard LW barrels are fine though.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Looks like you need to get rid of one. I’ll help with the 17L.
    That’s a 34C, Glock made 2 Glock 35C’s which I passed on to a close friend to buy. I made a Glock 35C to mirror them as well as the above.
    IMG_1166.jpeg

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Picked up a Lone Wolf threaded Conversion barrel for $100 and a g19 gen 4 spring for $20 as LWD suggests. Put ~100 rounds of 9MM through a g23 gen 4 without issue. Barrel shot better than me.

For $120 + mags, it seems like a decent solution for the range at least.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    For what this is worth: IMHO, if you want to swap calibers on a Glock that you own (for models that share a common frame), the best way to go is to buy an entirely new OEM slide/barrel assembly and mags, not just the barrel and mags. I'm comfortable with the idea running different caliber slide/barrels on the same lower (unless it's Gen 2, because of the single- vs. two-pin difference), but not multiple barrels in the same slide. I'm especially skeptical of the idea of going from 9mm to any larger caliber, or just calibers that have more muzzle energy and put more wear-and-tear on the guns.

I've debated purchasing a Gen 3 G22 slide/barrel to run on my Gen 3 G34 frame, just so that I can have a .40-cal gun if there's ever a big shortage of 9mm again. I like the fact that I can find those slide/barrel assemblies new (or almost new) for $300 on GunBroker and eBay. I see the argument that it's better to just buy a whole new pistol, since Gen 3 Glocks are so inexpensive, but I'd rather get a new slide barrel so that I don't have to wait for another 77R (since I'm in MD).

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I can only add on the conversion unit concept. Can’t say how many I built on 1911’s. I have two, and those slide/barrel assemblies will most likely find homes elsewhere. When I want to shoot 9mm I grab a 9mm pistol.

Be it any convertible capable pistol to make a conversion it must be built as that caliber to run correctly - like the mention of an ejector needing changed in one Glock conversion. By the time the conversion is completed costs are minimally separated by cost of an additional pistol. Then there is the hassle to convert. Not bad if changing top ends and mags, but it would be difficult change out at a match where switching calibers between stages could be annoying…and problemstic. Even some Contender guys at sihlouette matches squawk when the whole match is shot in stages, for each division and class.

With Glock clones abounding which improve on the Glock ergonomics a whole pistol may be a practical option. Or maybe a different brand model pistol all together.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    The .40 to 9mm barrel is pretty thick and slightly changes the balance of the pistol if you are starting with a .40. Some like that.

The weight difference between the stock .357 sig barrel and the conversion barrel should be negligible if any though.

I have a Glock 31. The full size 357 sig. cool round in my opinion but anybody who owns one will agree the ammo isn’t cheap.

My wife’s department just switched to the gen 5 g17. I like it and it got me thinking I would like to have another full size 9mm of my own.

So rather than my g31 collecting dust I figure I’ll convert it to 9mm. Some say a conversion barrel and mags are all I need, others say 9mm extractor and ejector for reliability reasons.

Any of you all done this conversion? I’ve looked into the lone wolf and a few others as far as barrels. I definitely need to keep myself in check when it comes to trying to go all out on match grade this and that. I need to stick to my plan of just slinging some 147 grainers at steel on my home range, not trying to cut clover leafs at 50 yards. I tend to get out of hand trying to chase that kind of accuracy out of anything I start to put together.
    Total necro quote, but this guy on eBay is selling what I am 99% sure are Bar Sto conversion barrels. As stated previously, .40 to .357 Sig conversions (and vice versa) are a 10 second barrel swap. Other than markings, they are otherwise identical.
    Also worth noting, factory G31 barrels are not sold to the public and are as good as gold in the used market.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For what this is worth: IMHO, if you want to swap calibers on a Glock that you own (for models that share a common frame), the best way to go is to buy an entirely new OEM slide/barrel assembly and mags, not just the barrel and mags. ..

I think this makes the most sense, if you can find the slide/barrel assembly at an attractive price.

I would like to have a G17 upper to swap onto my G22.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I ordered a G31 barrel directly from Glock. I did have to call customer service and provide the serial number of my G22.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I think this makes the most sense, if you can find the slide/barrel assembly at an attractive price.

I would like to have a G17 upper to swap onto my G22.

And that can definitely be a challenge sometimes. I see a lot of sellers who will ask for slide/barrel assemblies for $350+ (and sometimes more), depending on the Glock model. At that point, I do think it makes sense to just buy another gun. But if you can get them for under $300 (which is definitely possible), then it seems like the best way to go about doing a conversion (IMHO).

Side note: I've also considered buying a Glock 17L slide/barrel to run on my Glock 34 frame. I've always liked that model and wanted one, but it's impossible to find the slide/barrel assemblies for under $650 right now. That's definitely an example where it makes more sense to buy a whole new gun.

And that can definitely be a challenge sometimes. I see a lot of sellers who will ask for slide/barrel assemblies for $350+ (and sometimes more), depending on the Glock model. At that point, I do think it makes sense to just buy another gun. But if you can get them for under $300 (which is definitely possible), then it seems like the best way to go about doing a conversion (IMHO).

Side note: I've also considered buying a Glock 17L slide/barrel to run on my Glock 34 frame. I've always liked that model and wanted one, but it's impossible to find the slide/barrel assemblies for under $650 right now. That's definitely an example where it makes more sense to buy a whole new gun.
    This is true. When P80 got popular, tons of used Glocks were being broken down and sold for parts, the frames close to free. When Marylandistan passed the 80% law, I realized it was easier and cheaper for me to buy a stripped frame for $40 (FFL employee, free transfers) than to go through the hassle of getting a P80 frame engraved and registered.
    (The attached picture is for the MGA folks reading this thread)

Attachments

• 20220603_211324.jpg
      20220603_211324.jpg
      211.5 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads