• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Anyone out there have experience w/ QUICK LOAD? I'm considering buying it but wish there was a trial version for 30 days or something.

I just watched a fairly good overview of the application: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtOAoUkkSJY

I might even step out of my bounds of go to powders... maybe.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have it and if you plan on getting really experimental it’s useful. When I first got it the first thing I did was to model the loads that I had already developed to see if the softwares output matched my actual recorded field data. For my 6.5CM and 5.56 match loads it was spot on. I got more deviation on 300b/o subs and pistol data was inconsistent. However I’m not sure thats really a software issue as my pistol loads are not made to be very precise.

Anyway If you want to try it out I live in Ellicott City I could bring my laptop to a nearby Starbucks or somewhere.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have it and if you plan on getting really experimental it’s useful. When I first got it the first thing I did was to model the loads that I had already developed to see if the softwares output matched my actual recorded field data. For my 6.5CM and 5.56 match loads it was spot on. I got more deviation on 300b/o subs and pistol data was inconsistent. However I’m not sure thats really a software issue as my pistol loads are not made to be very precise.

Anyway If you want to try it out I live in Ellicott City I could bring my laptop to a nearby Starbucks or somewhere.

Thanks. That's kinda what i was looking for. I dont want to buy a pound of powder n box of bullets then find out its cannon fodder only to end up pulling a set of reloads from a test (again ahhaa).

I do reload a lot of calibers but i've never deviated from at least 2 published books. Its REALLY HARD to find the same (or very similar) data in 2+ books. Perhaps i'm over thinking it. I use what i have now because its "good enough". Dont get me wrong.. they are sub moa and most of the time it's a jagged hole but on the lower end of the accuracy node using OCW reloading.

Reloading for 458 SOCOM for example has been... sketchy due to the lack of published data.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Money well spent, I load a bunch of wildcats and tend to experiment a bunch.
    The more data you give it, the more data you get out of it.
    All three of us that shoot together use it.
    You give it a case, caliber, bullet and what powder with grains and it will give you what you are looking for.
    You will find powders you never knew you could safely use.

And like I said, the more you give it, the more you get back.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Money well spent, I load a bunch of wildcats and tend to experiment a bunch.
    The more data you give it, the more data you get out of it.
    All three of us that shoot together use it.
    You give it a case, caliber, bullet and what powder with grains and it will give you what you are looking for.
    You will find powders you never knew you could safely use.

And like I said, the more you give it, the more you get back.

that's the benefit i'm looking for. the ability to theory craft with science in an application instead of a 40 foot string attached to the trigger when testing. (no i haven't done this).

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I have it and its amazing. I load for a lot of rounds and several wildcats which are listed in the program that data is almost nonexistent for elsewhere. Its only as good as the details you input into it. One thing I like is the ability to find efficient loads for my rifles. For me, well worth the cost. I do a lot of experimenting and it is well worth the cost to me.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks guys. I think with help of this form, i've ALMOST talked myself into it. but.. a dvd that i can't use on my mac laptop doesn't sound great. i can still use it on my winblows desktop though.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks guys. I think with help of this form, i've ALMOST talked myself into it. but.. a dvd that i can't use on my mac laptop doesn't sound great. i can still use it on my winblows desktop though.

I was on the fence for months (maybe a year). It’s sort of funny but if the software was able to be downloaded directly I don’t think I would have waited so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I love Quickload, but remember, garbage in equals garbage out. You must take precise measurements of YOUR components. The program is preloaded with many brand's of bullets and case capacities. Do not rely on that! Measure your own. When measuring case water capacity, it makes a difference if the cartridge pressure is above or below 30,000 psi. Starting pressure is different for lead and tmj. It is scary how accurate it can be for rifles. It's good for pistols but not so much for revolvers. It doesn't account for the cylinder to barrel gap. Keep in mind that most of the newer powders released in the last 4 or 5 years are not in the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom