• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The defendants may have better lawyers. Maybe the accusers said the wrong things in court.

But that's just the thing: there is no day in court for the ones that get denied, because there is no hearing for the initial Emergency order. Someone just goes and swears one out, and then the court either approves or denies it, right there and then.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    They will notice and think Now that’s progress!

Attachments

• E17A1008-3302-4F0E-A0C8-78C4C5BB744F.jpg
      E17A1008-3302-4F0E-A0C8-78C4C5BB744F.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 380

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Not really (As least according to the numbers) and hopefully it will stary that way.

There were 114 ERPOs requested in October and less than 60 were granted. Those that weren't, we can surmise, were people crying wolf and had nothing to substantiate a reason for an ERPO to a judge, court commissioner, or LE.

That very well could change after the next legislative session, given how they want to strengthen the law, and the Governor seems to be on board to do so.

More than ever, people need to show up in Annapolis, but I fear that people really just don't care about their rights in Maryland.

I live in Frederick County. Where did you get the numbers from?

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    I live in Frederick County. Where did you get the numbers from?

Article in the Capital Gazzette, that had the numbers of ERPOs requested and then those granted with an interactive pam of how many by county (FYI, Kent County is the only county without any ERPOs being issued yet).

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_the_record/ac-cn-red-flag-folo-1106-story.html

Upthread post with link. Interactive map @ Baltimore Sun is in the Gazette article

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Could the state use this as spring board to so take firearms from a parent that maybe had a child at school that died in a mass shooting? Under the guise of horrific guilt and grief?

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Gun owners are NOT the enemies of LEOs.

But are LEOs now becoming the enemy of Gun Owners?

If we agree that the law is an unconstitutional seizure of assets without due process and LEOs are enforcing the law against their oath to "Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States" then what does that make them? The real enemy of gun owners is the Government, the LEOs are just the tool used by the government.

What happens when the government comes for your guns? Who is the real enemy? I think this is a legitimate question that needs to be answered.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Upthread post with link. Interactive map @ Baltimore Sun is in the Gazette article

That shows how many have been SOUGHT, not how many have been GRANTED.

Unless I missed something, Dan never explained where the number of granted vs sought orders came from.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    So the State is using loved ones against each other. It's really a valid question how long before the State uses the actions of another household member to confiscate the items of a legal gun owner. Say ones child or spouse claims that they are going to do something stupid would that be enough for them to take away your property? It's a very very slippery slope we are sliding down here!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So the State is using loved ones against each other. It's really a valid question how long before the State uses the actions of another household member to confiscate the items of a legal gun owner. Say ones child or spouse claims that they are going to do something stupid would that be enough for them to take away your property? It's a very very slippery slope we are sliding down here!

The state is using loved ones against each other? lol

How many domestic disputes are caused by "loved ones" just not feeling the love at the moment? How many "loved ones" kill "loved ones"? Domestic disputes are some of the deadliest encounters for law enforcement.

No, the state has given "loved ones" the ability to protect themselves and others from violent "loved ones" that own guns.

Like every other law passed, some imbeciles will abuse it.

As far as the state using laws against others, how do loved ones deal with it when a loved one is convicted of a crime and part of the probation is no access to firearms? Does the loved one that is not a convict have to go out and purchase a safe to keep the firearms in, and not give the combo to the convicted loved one? Maybe move all the firearms out of the house.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    The state is using loved ones against each other? lol

How many domestic disputes are caused by "loved ones" just not feeling the love at the moment? How many "loved ones" kill "loved ones"? Domestic disputes are some of the deadliest encounters for law enforcement.

No, the state has given "loved ones" the ability to protect themselves and others from violent "loved ones" that own guns.

Like every other law passed, some imbeciles will abuse it.

As far as the state using laws against others, how do loved ones deal with it when a loved one is convicted of a crime and part of the probation is no access to firearms? Does the loved one that is not a convict have to go out and purchase a safe to keep the firearms in, and not give the combo to the convicted loved one? Maybe move all the firearms out of the house.

The victim who lost his life had a verbal argument with a family member. No criminal history and no history of domestic abuse or physical violence in this case. If we can start red flagging people because we find their speech to be unacceptable then we are much more screwed than I thought

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    If you want to come and take away rights and property there's this thing called due process. Take them to court where it can be argued out there not at somebody's home or by surprise at 5:00 in the morning.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    If you want to come and take away rights and property there's this thing called due process. Take them to court where it can be argued out there not at somebody's home or by surprise at 5:00 in the morning.

Just remember, the more laws they pass the more lawyers, judges, cops, jail guards and support staff they need so it equals more government jobs, more rich lawyers and more bureaucracy.

It’s not really about safety or helping anyone.

It’s 100% about control

Making the same shyte more and more illegal and now passing and applying unconstitutional laws these folks ensure themselves more control and a seat on the money train that just goes around in a circle

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The victim who lost his life had a verbal argument with a family member. No criminal history and no history of domestic abuse or physical violence in this case. If we can start red flagging people because we find their speech to be unacceptable then we are much more screwed than I thought

What case are you referring to?

The ERPO will not prevent all domestic violence deaths, but it very well might help.

Again, it will be abused by some. The judges and prosecutors need to make a couple of examples of abusers, kind of like they do with perjurers. Yeah, right.

If somebody verbally threatens to kill a loved one, should they lose their firearms? Back in the day, a verbal threat that actually put fear in a person, was considered a crime. Nowadays, not so much.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Under an ERPO, the respondent is served and given an opportunity to appear for a hearing within 7 days regarding the temporary ERPO. Yeah, the first 7 days are a little tough when it comes to due process, but due process comes along after 7 days.

How does "due process" work when somebody is arrested, bond is set extremely high, and they have not yet had their day in court (i.e., due process)? They are stuck in jail, deprived of their liberty, just because they have been accused of something. Maybe we shouldn't put anybody in prison anymore until after they have been tried and convicted.

Yeah, they are entitled to their speedy trial, but that just means it must occur within 180 days of their arrest.

How about those that are charged with something and then a jury finds them not guilty? How much of their money did they spend on defending themselves when they were found not guilty?

Due process is a great talking point though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If lawyer fees, court costs, and loss of income were ordered to compensate victims found not guilty, with either the accusing citizen or the government (whichever one initiated the complaint) having to come up with compensation, a lot of frivolous lawsuits would never make it to court.

Of course, we'd need fewer lawyers, judges and so forth, so it's not likely to become the law of the land, given who writes those laws.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Just remember, the more laws they pass the more lawyers, judges, cops, jail guards and support staff they need so it equals more government jobs, more rich lawyers and more bureaucracy.

It’s not really about safety or helping anyone.

It’s 100% about control

Making the same shyte more and more illegal and now passing and applying unconstitutional laws these folks ensure themselves more control and a seat on the money train that just goes around in a circle

^^^^ This. EXACTLY.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Same with a search warrant. I dont get a letter in the mail saying my house will be searched on X date for Y item, I get the police knowing on the door. Afterwards I can challenge the validity of the warrant and potentially have the evidence suppressed.

Due process is important to remember because I can def see antis saying "guns are bad and someone said you shouldn't have one so have a nice day" but Fab has a point about how Due Process works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Again, it will be abused by some. The judges and prosecutors need to make a couple of examples of abusers, kind of like they do with perjurers. Yeah, right.

Except that with our law, they can't. The statute specifically grants immunity, both civil and criminal, to anyone who swears out an Order in "good faith." Good luck proving to anyone that the petitioner wasn't acting in "good faith."

Same with a search warrant.

Except that with a search warrant, the standards for granting one are pretty clearly laid out (not saying that they never get abused) while there is literally no standard for granting or not granting an Order. I also can't go apply for a search warrant against you and ask the police to search your house for me because I don't like you. I *can* do that with an Order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom