• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I’m not posting this to start a War. I’m giving my perspective based on extensive experience with both platforms.

I see many people debate the platforms, but often it’s because of what people personally own and not much substance.

Overall I believe that the Mossberg 500/590 is a better all-around shotgun.

Here are my some things to consider:

-Length of Service:
    Mossberg 500 1961 to present
    Remington 870 1951 to present (Remington does have a longer legacy)

While the 870 certainly has a decade head start and likely has more units in service, I see several Remington 870's for every Mossberg 500/590 for problems.

-The 590 is used by the U.S. Armed Services (Excluding the U.S. Marines):
    The Model 500/590 is the ONLY shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test. This Test is a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot. The U.S. Military had updated 3443G specification which requires a metal Trigger Guard. Currently only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the current Milspec requirements.

The U.S. Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999. Various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns.

-Safety Location and considerations:
    Due to Safety location on the 870 (Behind the Trigger) is a better choice if the user plans to put a pistol griped Buttstock on their shotgun. The Mossberg 500/590 is on the top rear of the Receiver. Pistol Gripped shoulder fired Shotguns are generally harder to control the recoil when compared to a traditional Buttstock equipped Shotgun. A Pistol Grip shoulder fired Shotgun is generally easier to manipulate with reloads and support due to leverage.

The Safety is truly ambidextrous on the Mossberg 500/590. The Remington 870 needs the Safety replaced to be truly left hand friendly, or a left hand 870needs to be purchased (These are hard to locate).

-Slug/Ammo Changeover:
    The Mossberg 500/590is a more simple operation but you lose 2 rounds performing the operation. The Remington 870 is a more complex operation but you lose only one round.

870 and Benelli

500 Slug Changeover (Looses 2 Shells, adds 2 Shells)

-Firepower and Capacity:
    Remington 870's are easier to add extensions to compare to the Mossberg 500/590. Problem is Current Production Remington 870's Magazine Tubes are dimpled. In order for the Tube Extension to work you have to drill or iron out the dimples. Ironing them out is the PROPER way to do the job. Drilling the dimples allows contaminants into the feed system and should not be done.

The Mossberg 500/590 has to be purchased in the capacity you wish to use. While you can convert a 5 shot to a high capacity model, you need a different Barrel, Magazine Tube, and Magazine Cap/Barrel Retainer to do so. It’s a pointless cost prohibitive conversion.

-Slide Release:
    The Remington 870 is in front of the Trigger Guard, and it’s behind the Trigger Guard on the Mossberg 500/590. People with smaller hands generally find the Mossberg 500/590 Slide Release easier to manipulate, where people with larger hands tend to prefer the Remington’s 870 Slide Release.

-Barrels and Swap/Installation:
    This is really easy for both models.

The Remington 870 with an Extension Tube is a little harder to assemble because the Magazine Tube Spring is not captured. You do run a risk of crimping or damaging the spring if you’re not very careful during assembly.

The Barrel Retainer nut is more prone to cause damage on the Mossberg 500 but the Mossberg 590 does not have this issue. People try to close the gap on the Mossberg 500 Barrel Retainer Cap and they often bend the Mag Tube or Barrel doing this (There SHOULD be a gap).

Mossberg 500/590 Factory Barrels tend to be a little more affordable compared to 870 Factory Barrels.

Remington 870's tend to have a nicer internal bore finish (Polish) but this has no effect on patterns or reliability. Both Mossberg 500/590 and Remington 870
    have relatively tight bores and can be improved by backboring (Improves Patterns and reduces recoil).

-Finish:
    There’s a plethora of available finishes for both manufacturers. Generally Marine Coat and Camo Guns are the most corrosion resistant finishes. On a standard CURRENT model from both manufactures the Mossberg 500/590s win for corrosion resistance. Current Production Mossberg 500/590's don’t rust like modern production Remington 870s do.

If you need to change parts on a 500/590 no special tools are needed

-Weight and Recoil:
    Generally depending on configuration the Mossberg 500/590 is lighter, thus it tends to recoil slightly more (Less Mass). The Remington 870 is generally heavier thus tends to recoil less (More Mass). Many Mossberg 500/590 models offer porting that negates the Remington 870 recoil advantage.

-Extraction and Action:
    The Mossberg 500/590 has dual Extractors and does enhance Extraction when fouled.

Generally the Remington 870 will have a smoother action out of the box, but with break in both the Mossberg 500/590 and Remington 870 will be equally smooth over time.

-Here’s where the Mossberg 500/590 SHINES:
    If you have a Mossberg 500/590 problem anyone can fix one at home, not so much for an 870.

Dented Tube on an 870? Requires a Gunsmith with Soldering Skills
    Dented Tube on a 500/590? Strap Wrench

Bad Ejector on an 870? Riveting Jig and a Gunsmith
    Bad Ejector on a 500/590? Screwdriver

Worn Lockup on 870? Replace the Barrel
    Worn Lockup on a 500/590? Replace the Barrel

Worn Feed Latches on an 870? Needs Staking Tool
    Worn Feed Latches on a 500/590? No Tools

UPDATE: Heres more on the subject.....http://jth8260.tripod.com/870.html

The choice is now up to you. Now choose WISELY.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im not posting this to offend 870 owners/users. It more of a guide for people considering both and cant afford 2 shotguns or want some outside input.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I own both a Moss 500 and a Rem 870, every single point made, is on point. Although my 870 is over 30 years old, I got to say that action is smooth as butter.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, you forgot one very important point - bayonet lug. ;)

:D:thumbsup:

Shotgun Joe does have a point there. Love to find me an Ithaca.

For a collection piece or occasional hunting unit I agree. They are a serious pain in the butt to get running right if there are issues though. They can be very erratic after problems arise.

Personally I prefer to suggest guns that DONT require a Gunsmith to fix and can be serviced at home.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Attachments

• firearms_shotgun_m1897_600.jpg
      firearms_shotgun_m1897_600.jpg
      6.8 KB · Views: 3,912

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    :D:thumbsup:

For a collection piece or occasional hunting unit I agree. They are a serious pain in the butt to get running right if there are issues though. They can be very erratic after problems arise.

Personally I prefer to suggest guns that DONT require a Gunsmith to fix and can be serviced at home.

It would definitely be a safe queen, brought out only for occasional range trips and to cuddle with when the wife kicks me out of bed.

If you want a bayonet only ONE won 2 world wars!

Make that TWO shotguns to cuddle with.

Rem.700Guy

Jun 18, 2011
    america
    mossbergs just feel cheap when i hold them, it seems like every single one i picked up the forend rattles, just doesnt seem like a well rounded gun
    im a 870 guy

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    mossbergs just feel cheap when i hold them, it seems like every single one i picked up the forend rattles, just doesnt seem like a well rounded gun
    im a 870 guy

On what points is the 870 more rounded? Name them for the audience to see please.

Did you not just have a thread about a brenad new 870 with extraction problems?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That is an AMAZING Shotgun indeed but they are pricey/collectible. If that thing was made currently in the U.S. with the same craftsmanship it would be a 2K shotgun IMHO.

I loved the look, a Model 94 ish shotgun. They weren't that expensive 15/20 years ago, 300 or so all day long. Snooze you lose, I lost. :mad54: (the standard 97, NOT the trench model)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom