• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No doubt that is their intent but look what congress is doing with the EPA carbon regulations. The adm. tried to make up powers and congress passes a law to block it. http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/congress/2011/03/gop-attempts-block-epas-climate-change-rules

We can do the same thing with gun rights as long as we are vocal

Fortunately to pass a law, a bill requires the President's signature. Congress can not pass a law on it's own.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Been reading over on the saiga 12 forum and Mike Davidson, maker of the md20 round drum, seems pretty convinced that the ATF is currently rejecting the paperwork for importation until after the study(what are the chances they will resume) and the Russians are raising the prices of the ones already approved. k-var is completely sold out now, they had some a couple of days ago when I checked. This is not looking good at all. Also mentioned in that thread was bennelli m4 import paperwork was being rejected.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Most of the threads on this topic have been pure speculation IMO. While I think it's clear what the BATFE wants to do--and the study was their foot in the door--it hasn't changed any laws yet.

However a recent thread on the S-12 forums started by none other than Mike Davidson (of 20-round drum renown) states that importers are getting their 06 forms denied for any new S-12s. And also that the Russians are well aware of the sudden panic and have engaged in a bidding war on prices. Apparently there are still some previously approved 06s still out there, so there will be a certain number of S-12s still coming in. But the future looks pretty murky.

I'm still not willing to go full chicken little on this but it's not looking good.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    Fortunately to pass a law, a bill requires the President's signature. Congress can not pass a law on it's own.

but the president can pass a law without congress' approval through "executive order" in article 2 section 2 clause 1

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    I think we should move to new hampshire and start MDSHOOTERS Inc and build these.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Most of the threads on this topic have been pure speculation IMO. While I think it's clear what the BATFE wants to do--and the study was their foot in the door--it hasn't changed any laws yet.

However a recent thread on the S-12 forums started by none other than Mike Davidson (of 20-round drum renown) states that importers are getting their 06 forms denied for any new S-12s. And also that the Russians are well aware of the sudden panic and have engaged in a bidding war on prices. Apparently there are still some previously approved 06s still out there, so there will be a certain number of S-12s still coming in. But the future looks pretty murky.

I'm still not willing to go full chicken little on this but it's not looking good.

The only reason I am not full chicken little is even Mike Davidson sells S12s and benefits from a temporary scare that raises prices(like the Obama scare). But then again, it is also likely very likely they are telling the truth.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    What's the word on Saiga 12

Went to the gun show in Frederick, saw one Saiga 12, $899. Sure glad I bought when I did. BATF had a display there, I asked them what the word was on Saiga 12 imports, the poor woman had no idea what I was talking about. She seemed sincere in her efforts to find something in their literature but was unsuccessful. She commented they might not import because the "gun had no sporting charactistics". I asked her to define sporting characteristics, she said it probably wasn't a gun used for hunting. I tried to point out to her that sporting was not limited to hunting, such as clay birds, long range target, shotgun matches, olympic shooting etc., She had no answer, obviously had drank the Kool-aid.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Went to the gun show in Frederick, saw one Saiga 12, $899. Sure glad I bought when I did. BATF had a display there, I asked them what the word was on Saiga 12 imports, the poor woman had no idea what I was talking about. She seemed sincere in her efforts to find something in their literature but was unsuccessful. She commented they might not import because the "gun had no sporting charactistics". I asked her to define sporting characteristics, she said it probably wasn't a gun used for hunting. I tried to point out to her that sporting was not limited to hunting, such as clay birds, long range target, shotgun matches, olympic shooting etc., She had no answer, obviously had drank the Kool-aid.

I love the irony in that the very guns that are considered "unsporting" are the same ones that dominate sporting events, such as the various forms of target and practical. It's clear that hunting has nothing to do with it. Our masters just don't like the idea of not having total control over us plebes.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I called the gun shop I've been using for years. I heard the rumors too. I was going to purchase the one he had hanging up. When I called he said, "it's gone, and they can't get any more. Import ban".
    Let me tell you that sucks!! Because I've been wanting one for a while now, and never pulled the trigger so to speak. :mad54: :sad20:

Mr BoomStick

Jan 27, 2010
    Hagerstown
    This scare rolls around ever year or so when ismash needs to ramp up production, think inbetween shipments. The saiga 12 and its 20 and 410 gauge variants come into the country in a sporting configuration it has nothing to do with how we modify them after they are in country, and sporting dosen't mean hunting although they like to believe that is all it covers. I'll go go chicken lil rangers after they actually come out with a ruling.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    This scare rolls around ever year or so when ismash needs to ramp up production, think inbetween shipments. The saiga 12 and its 20 and 410 gauge variants come into the country in a sporting configuration it has nothing to do with how we modify them after they are in country, and sporting dosen't mean hunting although they like to believe that is all it covers. I'll go go chicken lil rangers after they actually come out with a ruling.

That has never stopped them from banning other guns such as the Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun(spas12).

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    If you read the ATF report, most of what they are trying to accomplish is actually redefining "sporting purpose". The way the report is written, they want to define certain guns to be "intended for military and police use only". By arguing that "police and military use" and "sporting purposes" are mutually exclusive, they want to make it so that any shotgun that has a feature that makes it intended for military and police use only has no "sporting purpose". The report suggests that this list of "military and police only" features should include folding or collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, magazines over five rounds, grenade launcher mounts, integrated rail systems, excessive weight, excessive bulk, and forward pistol grips. As the Saiga 12 is currently imported, it does not have any of those features. However, I would not be surprised if they justified an import ban by saying that it can be converted to a non-sporting configuration very easily... but the same could be said of almost any shotgun. Until they finally make a decision, it's anybody's guess as to what the outcome will be. If you have the time, read the report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom