• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    No, conversion won't help with cycling issues.

S-12s all require a break-in period with high power loads. After things wear in, some will cycle bird shot fine but others will still require a little tweaking. The more problematic guns have come into the country undergassed (undersized or too few gas ports). Saiga will fix this under warranty, but it's not a tough repair for a smith or a competent home tinkerer.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    This calculator is super easy to use http://jobson.us/922r/

I love my new Saiga 12! I bought the conversion parts from Carolina Shooters Supply. They have conversion kits that include stocks and grips, but I pieced together my own. There are so many choices, make sure you really think about what you want the gun to be before you hit "Check Out". CSS also has very detailed conversion videos on youtube.
    I've spent a lot of time on the Saiga Forums as well. There is so much great info there. After I put 100 rounds through mine, I did a little grind and polish job on some of the internals to smooth it out. I am no gunsmith, but handy with tools. This gun does require tinkering, but it's totally worth it to me. If you want to take it out of the box and just shoot it consider something else.
    I'm using the V plug. I had to turn it out a full turn further than it should've been. I ended up having to drill out the gas ports, which made a big improvement. This work would be repaired under warranty, but I did it in about an hour instead of shipping my gun away.
    I've learned a lot about this gun since I've had it. I'm no expert, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to help. Maybe my hours of internet searching can help you.
    Point is...I love this gun.
    DSC03355-1.jpg

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    There are ways to improve cycling however, a pistol grip conversion does not. Many times the guns have less gas ports then they are supposed to , or the holes themselves are too small.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Anybody had problems with the Surefire brand high capacity magazines for Saiga shotguns?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    This calculator is super easy to use http://jobson.us/922r/

I love my new Saiga 12! I bought the conversion parts from Carolina Shooters Supply. They have conversion kits that include stocks and grips, but I pieced together my own. There are so many choices, make sure you really think about what you want the gun to be before you hit "Check Out". CSS also has very detailed conversion videos on youtube.
    I've spent a lot of time on the Saiga Forums as well. There is so much great info there. After I put 100 rounds through mine, I did a little grind and polish job on some of the internals to smooth it out. I am no gunsmith, but handy with tools. This gun does require tinkering, but it's totally worth it to me. If you want to take it out of the box and just shoot it consider something else.
    I'm using the V plug. I had to turn it out a full turn further than it should've been. I ended up having to drill out the gas ports, which made a big improvement. This work would be repaired under warranty, but I did it in about an hour instead of shipping my gun away.
    I've learned a lot about this gun since I've had it. I'm no expert, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to help. Maybe my hours of internet searching can help you.
    Point is...I love this gun.
    DSC03355-1.jpg

Does the V-plug (the ones from MD Arms) count as a replacement for a foreign part?

Last edited:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    No, the plug isn't considered a compliance part, but the gas puck is.

Would this be what you are talking about ($25.00)?
    GoGun TwisterPuc (Medium)
    Manufacturer: E-Tac CNC, Inc.

Did you have any others in mind? Thanks

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Would this be what you are talking about ($25.00)?
    GoGun TwisterPuc (Medium)
    Manufacturer: E-Tac CNC, Inc.

Did you have any others in mind? Thanks

Yes, that's one. Personally I found my medium twister puck cycled less reliable than the factory puck, so I'm back on the factory one since I have some headroom in my parts count.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I got to shoot one at Elk Neck on the clay range last summer. It was surprizingly easy to knock down birds with and cycled smoothly.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    Anybody had problems with the Surefire brand high capacity magazines for Saiga shotguns?
    I have one 8 round Surefire mag. I think it works fine. I have had maybe 2 or 3 shells out of 150 get hung up while feeding, but I didn't pay attention to which mag I was using. It has squared off edges that can hang up when you try to rock them in, but I spent about 10 seconds filing a bevel on each side and the go in really easy now.

I also bought the twister puck, but haven't used it yet. I want to have few hundred rounds of baseline performance before I try it.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Originally Posted by OnTarget View Post

Lots of people have had problems, but the problems seem to be mainly associated with the 12-rounders...it just seems like its too much weight for it to reliably handle. Id say if you are going to buy them, stick to the 8 or 10 rounders...or go with agp...or better yet MDarms drums are on sale now, buy one (or more) of those and wait for their double stack release next year.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Lots of people have had problems, but the problems seem to be mainly associated with the 12-rounders...it just seems like its too much weight for it to reliably handle. Id say if you are going to buy them, stick to the 8 or 10 rounders...or go with agp...or better yet MDarms drums are on sale now, buy one (or more) of those and wait for their double stack release next year.

Double stack?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Yes, that's one. Personally I found my medium twister puck cycled less reliable than the factory puck, so I'm back on the factory one since I have some headroom in my parts count.

Anybody try out the Tapco gas piston - approx. $8.50? If not, what is your favorite replacement puck?
    Thanks!

Last edited:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Actually, go here: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Now let's think about this:

922(r) is a prohibition on assembling a rifle in violation, not possession. With that said there are 15 imported parts on the Saiga 12. If you don't convert the Saiga it's easier to run afoul of the 922(r) statute.

Converting the Saiga-12 means replacing the trigger, hammer, and disconnector. It also means replacing the buttstock. That leaves one part left to replace before you are compliant. Replacing the magazine with a drum made in the US means another 3 parts. A converted Saiga 12 with a drum should have no more than 8 parts... Replace the front furniture and you're able to run imported mags too.

It's not bad...

Mark

PS - I love, absolutely LOVE, my Saiga-12. It kicks ASS!!!

From the standpoint of doing the conversion the easiest way as to installation, how about a Tapco Intrafuse T6 Stock set ( comes with pistol grip and counts) = 2 compliant parts); also, the Tapco Intrafuse Handguard = 1 compliant part; and lastly the MD Arms 20 rd. drum magazine = 3 parts. Total US parts = 6. Isn't that enough to satisfy 922r? Or is more needed, if so, what would be the easiest part to install.
    Note that I have stayed away from replacing any internal parts, hence not affecting the operation of the Saiga 12.
    Thanks for any remarks.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, that would be enough make it compliant (10 foreign parts remaining). However you can only use US mags in it from there on out.

However, converting it (moving the FCG forward) is about more than adding compliance parts. It improves trigger pull and ergonomics, and makes the gun more reliable by removing extra linkage... it's how Izhmash intended it to be.

From the standpoint of doing the conversion the easiest way as to installation, how about a Tapco Intrafuse T6 Stock set ( comes with pistol grip and counts) = 2 compliant parts); also, the Tapco Intrafuse Handguard = 1 compliant part; and lastly the MD Arms 20 rd. drum magazine = 3 parts. Total US parts = 6. Isn't that enough to satisfy 922r? Or is more needed, if so, what would be the easiest part to install.
    Note that I have stayed away from replacing any internal parts, hence not affecting the operation of the Saiga 12.
    Thanks for any remarks.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Interesting, I never held or shot a Saiga but from the videos I can see on youtube etc, they seem kinda slow. I have Winchester SX3 with extended tube, which holds 10 +1, one less than Flannigans gun. But it is REALLY fast ...

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Yes, that would be enough make it compliant (10 foreign parts remaining). However you can only use US mags in it from there on out.

However, converting it (moving the FCG forward) is about more than adding compliance parts. It improves trigger pull and ergonomics, and makes the gun more reliable by removing extra linkage... it's how Izhmash intended it to be.

Thanks, rob-cubed and others, you've been very helpful. Regarding your US magazine comments, I think ProMag is USA, so I could use the 12's 15's or 20's, I presume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom