• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for all of the advice!

I've heard good things about the Mossberg 500 too. Are there many differences between the 500 and 870?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Thanks for all of the advice!

I've heard good things about the Mossberg 500 too. Are there many differences between the 500 and 870?

Most notable in operation is the location of the safety. The 870 safety is a button on the forward part of the trigger guard. The Mossberg safety is a thumb safety (forward/back) located on the top, rear of the receiver. To each his own, but I prefer the Mossy safety. Push forward toward target to fire.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    A 870 is the best shotgun ever made in my book...i abuse mine big time..sink her in mud..salt water..dont clean her..and she spits lead with ease!

Nothing beats a 870!

If you like a rattle in your gun..a gun that feels like a a piece of junk..ya get a mossberg shotgun

Go lay the a mossberg 500 next to a 870 and tell me which one is made well.

I agree the saftey can be nice when located were mossberg puts it..but my 870 will be ready to fire when i need her to in a jiffy and i know nothing about being a lefty..thats another story

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A 870 is the best shotgun ever made in my book...i abuse mine big time..sink her in mud..salt water..dont clean her..and she spits lead with ease!

Nothing beats a 870!

If you like a rattle in your gun..a gun that feels like a a piece of junk..ya get a mossberg

I respectfully disagree.

I see Remingtons 870's for problems 4/1 compared to Mossberg 500/590's.

If your Shell Latches get worn on a Mossberg, no tool is needed to reinstall or "Restake" them. Mossbergs are more Ambi Friendly due to the safety position, and generally cost less. The 590's come with the Best Ghost Ring Sights made to date too.

Im a huge Remington fan to the core but you cant beat the value of a Mossberg 500/590. Theres nothing cheap about them.

Now when it comes to Autos, Remington takes the cake. Mossberg Autoloaders are not good systems IMHO. Their new Autoloader Shotguns are already having teething issues.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    If you like a rattle in your gun..a gun that feels like a a piece of junk..ya get a mossberg shotgun

You mean like these guys?

Attachments

• 660px-Shotgun.jpg
      660px-Shotgun.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 126
    • mossberg2.jpg
      mossberg2.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 126
    • firearms_shotgun_m590_standing_375.jpg
      firearms_shotgun_m590_standing_375.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 124
    • mossberg-inset-2.jpg
      mossberg-inset-2.jpg
      29 KB · Views: 129

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Now when it comes to Autos, Remington takes the cake. Mossberg Autoloaders are not good systems IMHO. Their new Autoloader Shotguns are already having teething issues.

Well that sucks. What are you seeing on the Mossies? I've put a butt load of rounds through my 930SPX without issue, but if there is something I need to keep an eye on that would be good intel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well that sucks. What are you seeing on the Mossies? I've put a butt load of rounds through my 930SPX without issue, but if there is something I need to keep an eye on that would be good intel.

On the 3.5" Guns they are having feed issues with 3.5" Shells of all types. The 2 3/4 and 3" feed fine, but not the 3.5". The timing gets funked up somehow, were still working on resolving the issue with Mossberg. It didnt happen out of the box, only after putting several hundred of rounds through it.

The Magazine Tube and Shell Stop gets peened and are getting worn rapidly and not allowing cycling on the 3.5" loads. Its possible the Magazine Tube Spring looses compression, or the Recoil Spring Looses compression???? I think the gas system is having trouble bleeding off excessive gas and cycling th action to fast, but were still working on it.

We have had 2 come in just ths week for the same issue. Mossberg has a really bad rep with autoloader reliability, and I was skeptical about the newer models. Im hoping this is just a bad run were seeing.

Ill keep you updated on our findings, and if we see more issues.

Since the "real" model 12 isn't made anymore I like the 870 and so did these guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgDxqNLeck Personal preference I guess.

Fix many guns?

I find it odd for you to quote liking a particular gun for its usage in movie. Not such a good trend to follow IMO. If so the Spas 12 and Desert Eagle would be "Best"

If you are referring to what was used in Vietnam, well we have made progress and improved. We use a better U.S Service Shotgun now, its Mossbergs and Benellis.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    All this shotgun talk....can't wait to get my new (to me) shottie outside for a workout.
    Have discovered that it was made between 1921-1925....(getting a little more specific than I was before...)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Its a nice looking gun too. :thumbsup:

It's been refinished....I can see some drips on the heel of the pistol grip, but it is and won't ever be more than a utility gun. I'm not looking to win any prizes with her :) The steel looks great.

Back to the original thread, I believe the 870/500 debate is as tired as the 9mm/.40 debate.....each one has its benefits and drawbacks.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Fix many guns?

I find it odd for you to quote liking a particular gun for its usage in movie. Not such a good trend to follow IMO. If so the Spas 12 and Desert Eagle would be "Best"

If you are referring to what was used in Vietnam, well we have made progress and improved. We use a better U.S Service Shotgun now, its Mossbergs and Benellis.

No but I've owned 1 or 2. Note my first choice was a Model 12, I've owned more 870's than any other shotgun, never had a problem with any of them. No movie reference, personal preference. :rolleyes: I find you odd if you think the movie is why I like the 870.

Why would i like a Desert Eagle, because it weighs 40 lbs?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Back to the original thread, I believe the 870/500 debate is as tired as the 9mm/.40 debate.....each one has its benefits and drawbacks.

I agree to a point, but IMO, if your gonna pay "more" for a Remington 870 then you should be getting more for your dollar. Even if you were to say that 4x as many Remingtons were sold compared to Mossbergs, then the Remington "fails" at the same rate (4/1). The Remington is more complex to repair (Ejector, Feed Latches, Magazine Tube, FCG Parts, ect....) and its still more expensive than the Mossberg.

I think it says alot the the U.S. Military uses the 590, not the 870.

I know I wont change anyones mind if they are a 870 fan but these things cant be ignored.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I think it says alot the the U.S. Military uses the 590, not the 870.

I know I wont change anyones mind if they are a 870 fan but these things cant be ignored.

Agreed, 100%. I am not anti-870 by any means. However, as mentioned before, for a long gun lefty, I have found that the Mossberg 500 was a more comfortable shooter. I could rack the slide with no difficulty and could rapid fire the thing like nobody's business. I just can't do that with an 870. Additionally, learning things such as swapping out barrels and stocks was a cinch for me with the Mossy.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    On the 3.5" Guns they are having feed issues with 3.5" Shells of all types. The 2 3/4 and 3" feed fine, but not the 3.5". The timing gets funked up somehow, were still working on resolving the issue with Mossberg. It didnt happen out of the box, only after putting several hundred of rounds through it.

The Magazine Tube and Shell Stop gets peened and are getting worn rapidly and not allowing cycling on the 3.5" loads. Its possible the Magazine Tube Spring looses compression, or the Recoil Spring Looses compression???? I think the gas system is having trouble bleeding off excessive gas and cycling th action to fast, but were still working on it.

We have had 2 come in just ths week for the same issue. Mossberg has a really bad rep with autoloader reliability, and I was skeptical about the newer models. Im hoping this is just a bad run were seeing.

Ill keep you updated on our findings, and if we see more issues.

Appreciate the info, Chad!

Incidentally, have any experience with the NOB bolt handle for the 930SPX?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have both M500s and Wingmasters, all reliable. Keep your eyes open and also find deals on Win 1200/1400 ( HD gun of moment). Am particularly fond of my Grandfather's 1906 mfg M97 , but SASS shooters have pushed prices of all origionals to collectable levels.
    ( switch) Pumps work just fine for skeet doubles.
    A repeating shotgun needs at least 2 bbls , 28ish for field & sport , 20ish for HD/SD . If you will ever hunt deer in Md, add fully rifled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom