• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    I have a Ruger LCR in .38 Spcl +P with the green laser grips. Great little revo and pretty accurate for what it is. Buddy up in PA has one too and he agrees. Also comes in .357, which would shoot those plus the .38 +P's.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Plus one. In a Bullitt style shoulder holster it disappears underneath almost anything and, with the weight, it's an easy all day carry.

Like the concept of a shoulder holster but seldom use one, so i have been shopping for a nice, used upside down for a j frame. No luck. Saw what looked like a nice one (new) on nevada leather website but over $100. I have a sw 36 also, with sq grip, wooden, and the 642 with the rubber crimson trace and the orig boot grip shoots softer. With std def loads, its a ***** cat, and not much worse with + p. But i shot a friends kimber with .357 and after a cyl,i was happy to be done. I think its best to carry what loads you practice with.
    Don’t think i’d be shooting too many magnum loads thru those little guns. But they sure are nice.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'd say 'no' to a revolver. Too limited on capacity and takes too long to reload. I'd go with a compact 9mm for a balance between concealability and capacity.

a "compact" 9mm like an MP Shield has a 7 or 8 shot capacity.

You can find 7 shot or even 8 shot 2.5" barrel 357 mag revolvers. A pistol auto is a complex machine that can fail to cycle, feed, eject... esp if you limp wrist it under stress. An 8 shot pistol goes bang **** what? shit. An 8 shot revolver goes bang bang click bang bang bang bang bang. You will find the bad guys are running. Have a nice day.

pittpa

Mar 5, 2016
    SW PA
    That LCR 9 is a great carry gun. At 17oz, you can still pocket carry. Easy to find a shootable 9mm round more powerful than typical +p 38.
    I chronographed the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135g 357 from a J frame and the Underwood 124g Speer Gold Dot from an LCR 9.
    I am well aware that the Speer short barrel is a light 357 loading. You could probably handle a more robust 357 in the LCR 357.
    The 357 made 316# muzzle energy, and the 9mm 346#. Velocity average was 1027 and 1139 respectively. Both of these bullets are very effective performers at these velocities.
    You must watch out for bullet creep/crimp jump out of lightweight 9mm revolvers. As a manufacturer told me, the 9mm was not designed for revolvers. I settled n the UW because it had minimal bullet creep. Test whatever you plan to carry.
    All that said, I'm trying out a Sig P365, finding it very easy to shoot. I like 10+1 rounds in a smaller package. I just want to satisfy myself on it's reliability.

Pictures of crimp jump appear here.

https://www.mtadamsfishgame.com/bullet-crimp-jump-9mm-revolver/

Luigi2020

Oct 21, 2013
    Nottingham, MD
    I had never heard of crimp jump. Something to consider as I look for a revolver. I was hoping to stick with a 9mm since I buy so much ammo for my other handguns but I might have to think it through a little more.

pittpa

Mar 5, 2016
    SW PA
    I had never heard of crimp jump. Something to consider as I look for a revolver. I was hoping to stick with a 9mm since I buy so much ammo for my other handguns but I might have to think it through a little more.

You need a 9mm round that performs well out of a short barrel and is not subject to unreasonable bullet creep. Speer Gold Dot +P 124g in both Short Barrel and regular versions may be an option.
    You may have broader ammo options in the 357 version with less worry about bullet creep, and still have a similar weight gun with that great trigger. You can also get a lot of range time with cheap 38 ammo.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If considering 9mm in something compact, watch this from 15:55. Bullet choice makes a big difference, and I personally would avoid anything under a 3" barrel.

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    I carry an older S&W mod 37. It's a lot lighter and even if the felt recoil is a little bit more you not going to be firing more than five shots in a fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom