• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd prefer 6 to 5 shots. So that limits the small carry revolvers to the Cobra and the Kimber. Another option, if you were so inclined, is getting a used S&W Model 10 and getting the barre cut to 2". Otherwise, look at older Colt Detective and Cobra revolvers. My older Cobra was $700. It looked like it hadn't been shot, but the box was missing and there was a ding on the top strap, so they weren't asking crazy prices. I've shot about 100 rounds through it, some +P. With the original grips, recoil is manageable even with +P, but I do shoot a lot. Try to rent some that you're interested in, see if anyone you know has one they'll let you try.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Take a look at the 3" barreled Ruger LCRx with good adjustable sights and larger grip. Now available in 357 Magnum.

This makes a good home defense revolver also.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I would get a BFR in 45/70.

If I put that in a holster the tip of the barrel would drag along the ground.

Shoulder holster should suffice.

Yes, the bandelaro holster is quite comfortable.

If one wants to use a belt holster, I recommend getting a pair of suspenders to hold your pants up. The BFRs weight wants to yank them down.

Fun fact: the 45/70 can knock down anything in North America. If it can put down a moose, a little ole bad guy should not be a problem.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I carry my SP101 about half the time. It shoots, carries, and conceals well (on a belt), but it IS heavy for what it is. I'd consider the LCR in .38sp.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Like the 642 without internal lock. Don’t feel it in the pocket. I put a ceimson trace on it.

Plus one. In a Bullitt style shoulder holster it disappears underneath almost anything and, with the weight, it's an easy all day carry.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I know the purpose of a hammerless revolver, but to me they just look odd. Also I like SA/DA revolvers. There are some pretty ones in this thread.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I know the purpose of a hammerless revolver, but to me they just look odd. Also I like SA/DA revolvers. There are some pretty ones in this thread.

Hey... how DO you let down the hammer on a non-exposed-hammer revolver, anyway? Do you have to swing the cylinder out, dry fire, then close back up? I've never actually handled one. I like seeing that hammer, I guess.

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    if you are going to belt carry only, look into a S&W K frame .38 or, if buying new, the Colt Cobra.
    These fit most hands better than the J frame Smiths and offer a sixth round.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A couple other choices: Colt Det Spl with shroud for 6 shots, a Smith M36 with a 3" barrel for a longer sighting plane. (M37 also available with a 3" bbl for light weight). Sorry for the poor pic quality.

Attachments

• det spl.jpg
      det spl.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 224

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I'd say 'no' to a revolver. Too limited on capacity and takes too long to reload. I'd go with a compact 9mm for a balance between concealability and capacity.

Dogface

Woofer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Neardabay, Md
    Ralph, do you carry an easily accessible spare magazine with you 100%?

At least according to statistics, sell defense number of shots fired is always less than 5.

I carried S&W Revolvers until my outfit went to Auto's. Much better choice for LEO's/Mil. but I really believe that about 75% of Auto buyers should have bought Revolvers.

Frequently it's a scary thing to watch a new Auto owner take delivery in a Shop.

If the first (or subsequent) round is a dud in a Auto, it has to be cleared, with a revolver, the shooter just has to pull the trigger again.

Be safe out there. Congrats on being retired.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hey... how DO you let down the hammer on a non-exposed-hammer revolver, anyway? Do you have to swing the cylinder out, dry fire, then close back up? I've never actually handled one. I like seeing that hammer, I guess.

Generally those without an exposed hammer fire double action only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom