• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Does one need an HQL to purchase a stripped AR9 lower?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I believe stripped lowers are exempt from needing an HQL.

However, a more knowledgeable member should definitely chime in

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No you don't need a HQL for a stripped lower. You do have to fill out federal 4473 form and a MD state 77R form and wait seven days. A lower is considered a regulated firearm.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    No you don't need a HQL for a stripped lower. You do have to fill out federal 4473 form and a MD state 77R form and wait seven days. A lower is considered a regulated firearm.

I've heard you don't need an HQL and I've also heard that since it is a 9mm specific AR lower, it is cash and carry.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Bought lowers with a friend a few weeks ago at gymratz. The friend does not have a HQL.

if I remember right, the only difference between me buying and him buying lowers was he had to either acknowledge or agree that he would build rifles and not pistols.

So the takeaway is... if you're building without a HQL or exemption, barrel length matters a lot.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Bought lowers with a friend a few weeks ago at gymratz. The friend does not have a HQL.

if I remember right, the only difference between me buying and him buying lowers was he had to either acknowledge or agree that he would build rifles and not pistols.

So the takeaway is... if you're building without a HQL or exemption, barrel length matters a lot.

acknowledge how? on the 77r? or some separate form? or verbally?

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    acknowledge how? on the 77r? or some separate form? or verbally?

Not sure where, Dan. I wasn't looking over his shoulder, it was on the computer he was filling the 77r out on, but I'm not sure if it was the 77r or not.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Not sure where, Dan. I wasn't looking over his shoulder, it was on the computer he was filling the 77r out on, but I'm not sure if it was the 77r or not.

If they added this question to the 77r that would be very very interesting info to find out. There appear to have been a number of secret squirrel changes that the MSP has made to the 77e on the DL. HQL (or not) for AR9 lowers has been the source of large quantities of tinfoil.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    If they added this question to the 77r that would be very very interesting info to find out. There appear to have been a number of secret squirrel changes that the MSP has made to the 77e on the DL. HQL (or not) for AR9 lowers has been the source of large quantities of tinfoil.

He's coming over today for me to help build his AR. I'll ask him if he remembers and let you know.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

The 77R is electronic now, so go online and fill one out to see if the question is there. The 4473 I filled out last week did not have it.
    I bought a 9mm completed lower a few years ago and it was C&C on a 4473. It had a rifle stock though.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    The 77R is electronic now, so go online and fill one out to see if the question is there. The 4473 I filled out last week did not have it.
    I bought a 9mm completed lower a few years ago and it was C&C on a 4473. It had a rifle stock though.

Just went and did one, there is no question or area to affirm you will only build a rifle on a 77r. There is no difference between the one I filled out in November and the one I did today. It just says lower receiver.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Just went and did one, there is no question or area to affirm you will only build a rifle on a 77r. There is no difference between the one I filled out in November and the one I did today. It just says lower receiver.

Did you have the HQL or exemption selected?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Did you have the HQL or exemption selected?

I had my HQL when making all of my purchases, however section 7 clearly states that purchasing a lower receiver is an exemption:

Exceptions to possession of the Handgun Qualification License:

(Individuals deemed exempt must provide the proper documentation to a Regulated Firearms Dealer prior to purchasing a firearm)

- Licensed Firearm Manufacturer. Verification:

- Current law enforcement officer or person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law
    enforcement agency in the state.
    Department: Badge /ID#: Retired?:

- Active member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Branch: ID#: Duty Station:
    Retired?:

- Inheritance and or Voluntary Exemption
    - Applicant is purchasing a Lower Receiver.

You may not complete the application unless you possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) or are exempt.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I had my HQL when making all of my purchases, however section 7 clearly states that purchasing a lower receiver is an exemption:

Sure, I think we all agree on the exemption for lowers, however, if you don't have HQL or exemption, does the form change at all to agree to not making a SBR?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Sure, I think we all agree on the exemption for lowers, however, if you don't have HQL or exemption, does the form change at all to agree to not making a SBR?

Why are SBRs being brought up? You said he had to agree not to build a pistol. The answer to the question though is also no, nothing changes when it comes to purchasing a lower receiver regardless of intended usage. The only thing I have seen change on a 77r is the number of places to enter information when you buy multiple items at once.

Again, if you are buying a lower receiver you cannot buy one from an FFL without an exemption since the sale in itself is an exemption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom