• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I'm a newbie to shotguns so I've been asking A LOT of questions recently. Here is one more!

I'm wondering what shell size/type/whatever is best for HD. If I have my shotgun loaded in a "readied state" I would like to hear what you all use. Obviously ANYTHING coming out of a shotgun is going to hurt an intruder, but what's considered the "best" for HD?

I have a Remington Versa Max Tactical that I will be using. It has a 22" barrel and the Remington ProBore Tactical Choke (which I'm not sure where in the spektrum of choke types it falls and I can't see to find any information on it. I sent Remington Customer Service an email but they haven't responded yet).

All opinions, answers, information welcome and thank you in advance!

Scarab

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Don't read the #4 vs. 00 stuff on the interwebz. Your head will explode.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    You'll need to consider directions and angles from which you will be shooting, and the issue of over penetration. 00buck is considered the round for most applications, but some apartment or townhouse settings you may consider 000 or even 4 buck

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Something from a .223 ;-)

Havent seen it anywhere but heard 000 has twice the pellets and they are lighter so less chance of over penetration.

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    You should be mindful of what maybe on the other side of the wall that it may go through.

In my house for example, if I wasn't careful, I could send shot through the wall and into my neighbors kids room.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    first of all... Before anything else. have you established the fields of fire in your house?

You should figure out firing angles, backstops, consequences of missed shots, backstop material etc. as part of a comprehensive home defense plan.

Determine shoot/ no shoot zones .incorporate that in your training and home defense plan. Know what is beyond the badguy at certain spots in your house. There are certain firing angles and zones where over penetration will not be an issue.( example, defending stairs, shooting down.. If you miss, your shots hit the ground) Make these areas as your defensive point. Ammo selection is no substitute for good training and well planned strategies.

mrdave2010

Aug 8, 2011
    Maryland
    My input is free and worth just as much. . . To anybody but me, no that the disclaimer is out of the way I suggest you google the box of truth, this guy has videos of shooting different rounds through walls and boards, after seeing that I decided a short barrel ar is best for my needs, but the shot gun is loaded with pdx1 rounds as well. (Three small plates with some shot as well). Decided that straight 00 was not for me. Good luck... I'm no expert just adding what I chose for my family. If you have a hd weapon, IMHO it is a good idea to have a weapon light on it. Streamlight has some bright options at low prices.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    If you are very concerned with overpenetration, consider #4 buckshot. Brass fetcher had some very good ballistics videos.

If overpenetration isn't a concern, #1 buckshot or 00 buckshot are great choices.

If using a reduced recoil load in a semi auto, prove at least 100 rounds cycle flawlessly before relying on it for HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom