What is the Benefit of an O/U? Sem-Autos Cost Less.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMHO Break-open single-shots and pumps are just shoulder hammers for youth and young adults shooting multiple clays....no or next to no recoil reduction. All of which leads directly (do not pass go....) to flinching and unpleasant shooting. TRY to borrow a youth 20ga semi from somewhere for the most pleasant training/trial experience. I admit that both require minimal investment. (but that is the only +)

This is why, when I was instructing, I picked up a Rem 11-87 Sporting Clays. With 1 ounce loads, very light recoiling and nice for a new shooter to deal with.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Even if you are so uncoordinated that you cannot catch the empties as they eject, you can still put your hand in front of them and prevent them from ejecting as you open the gun. I've been shooting my o/u guns so much, I cannot even remember whether I catch the empties or just put my hand in front of them to prevent them from ejecting. Guessing it is the former. I will have to pay attention to it the next time I am out shooting. What I do know is that I am rarely ever bending over to pick up hulls when I am shooting an o/u.

Probably half way in between.

Hand over the empties, but far enough out to get a hold of them.

At least, this is what I do. :D

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ok, since everyone seems to have gone to longer barrels, what advantage do they give me shooting skeet. I never felt the need for more range or tighter patterns.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Ok, since everyone seems to have gone to longer barrels, what advantage do they give me shooting skeet. I never felt the need for more range or tighter patterns.

Longer barrels (i.e., 30", 32", 34") do not give a person more range or tighter patterns. People think the gun swings better because it is more balanced and that the longer barrels provide a longer sighting plane. Meanwhile, you aren't supposed to really "aim" a shotgun, but merely point it. Then, the choke tubes are what provide longer range/tighter patterns, assuming your barrel is long enough to burn off all the powder in the load.

Personally, I do not see the big deal with the longer barrel craze right now, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, turkey guns have 24" barrels on them to make them lighter and easier to handle in the woods, but those shotguns need a tight choke and extra range. Granted, not much gun swing involved in turkey hunting.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

The longer barrel also aides with follow through. Once you get it started (swing) it’s harder to stop it. Follow through in Skeet can’t be emphasized enough. The action is breaking the bird, not pulling the trigger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Years ago I shot a round of SC with a top college skeet shooter at PG. He had a barrel weight on his 26" O/U to smooth the swing.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    14dd80d720480790ab9a309d5660ed0b.jpg

Yes they do

Very Schweeetttt! :party29:

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    The longer barrel also aides with follow through. Once you get it started (swing) it’s harder to stop it. Follow through in Skeet can’t be emphasized enough. The action is breaking the bird, not pulling the trigger.

Ok, maybe I am not too old to try something new. Have been shooting 26 inch choked skeet over skeet for 30 years (recreationally) so change is "hard", but am willing to give longer barrels another try.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Buy the Benelli. Love mine. It cycles everything and is a breeze to maintain with the inertia driven system. Worth every penny. A very versatile gun.

Eh, it stated in the manual of my benelli the inertia really liked 3 dram equivalent loads or more.

I shot about 10,000 hulls of factory 1-1/8 ounce +1200 fps target loads then started reloading 1 ounce 1200 without issue.

Until maybe 15,000 hulls run through the gun it started to failing to cycle at least once with my 1 ounce reloads everytime we went out for a 100 target course. Could have been a marginal powder drop or shouldering issue, but the gun would still cycle 3 dram factory target loads fine. Maybe replacing the inertia spring in the bolt would have been back new? Will never know

I ended up with a Browning O/U since my thing was less on recoil with still the same performance. No need to worry about the gun not cycling with light loads, the random failing was starting the throw my (sucky) game off as I was expecting it to not cycle each time I stepped into the station.

I gave a friend a few 7/8 ounce reloads on the course to try in his Super Sport and he loaded them as the second shot and none of them would cycle the action to lock back empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom