• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    Hi my name Desmon I'm new here......I was recently denied a purchase of a ruger Ar 556 unsure what to do ..... The guy at the store says it is because
    nolle prosequi is that some that would cause me to be denied..... Nics says 921 and 922 outside of traffic violations I have a good record .....????. Thanks Dogbone

Last edited:

Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    The descriptive information you provided the Federal Firearms Licensee was compared to and matched a prohibiting record containing a similar name and descriptive information. The reason for your denial is under Title 18, United States Code Sections 921(a)(20) and 922(g)(1): “A person who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than two years.” Please note that it does not matter whether the sentence of more than one or two years was actually ordered or served; the prohibitor is based upon the maximum sentence that could have been imposed upon the individual by the court. In addition, some convictions which may have been “sealed” or “expunged” for certain purposes still qualify as 18 U.S.C., Section 922(g)(1) prohibitors.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I hate to say this, but you may want to contact a lawyer versed in firearm laws. I suppose mistakes at NICS happen, but you'll need to know if there's ANYTHING in your past that would preclude you from owning firearms.

If indeed a mistake has occurred at NICS, then my understanding is that you can get a PIN to include with the 4473 to uniquely identify you from someone else who is prohibited.

There are Industry Partners (companies) here on the board that might be able to give you more information about the process, but your original dealer would probably be the best bet.

I don't think she is an Industry Partner on the forum, but several here have recommended attorney Britney Stouffer in Townson.

There is also the law firm of Schaffer, Black & Flores PC, who is an Industry Partner, out in Frederick.

I have no recommendations other than posting their information here.

Good luck.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What they said .

Either someone using your name/ SSN has been a bad boy , some data was entered incorrectly , or there is somthing in your perminent record that you're not recalling correctly , or expingment, etc didn't come off as planned . Lawyer up as recomended above.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 494

Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    Traffic violations? Like what? Sounds to me like you need to contact a lawyer.

Driving on suspended license and speeding .....I looked on mary case search only I have traffic and nolle prosequi theft under 500 ......I have been a victim of identity theft

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Good luck with your endeavors to clear up your current situation.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Driving on suspended license and speeding .....I looked on mary case search only I have traffic and nolle prosequi theft under 500 ......I have been a victim of identity theft

IANAL but not sure what the possible sentence is for theft under $500.
    Getting legal advice here (even though some people here know what they are talking about, and a few are lawyers) is not the way to go.
    Talk to a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    IANAL but not sure what the possible sentence is for theft under $500.
    Getting legal advice here (even though some people here know what they are talking about, and a few are lawyers) is not the way to go.
    Talk to a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been try to this morning ....outcome just want to help expunge but they say no
    promise that it will get me my gun .....?

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    The nolle prosequi is not what is causing your problem, as it is not a conviction, either in federal or state scheme. Your problem likely stems from your traffic case. The conviction for driving while suspended or without a license is the likely culprit. They now carry 1 year penalties, I believe.
    I strongly suspect that conviction is what's holding you back.

Desmo

New to This
    Sep 15, 2017
    Howard Co.
    The nolle prosequi is not what is causing your problem, as it is not a conviction, either in federal or state scheme. Your problem likely stems from your traffic case. The conviction for driving while suspended or without a license is the likely culprit. They now carry 1 year penalties, I believe.

I don't have a conviction for that either...my name matches other name I believe I think they flag me cause I didn't put my ssn down ....when to get a finger print scan and walking to the lady who did them for me...just so happen to work for them she said not put it on the paper would cause .... many people may share the same name ...... Giong to send my finger tomorrow.....

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I thought the potential penalty has to be more than 1 year for a felony and 2 or more years for a misdemeanor to disqualify from NICS. Isn't driving without a license a misdemeanor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom