• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

ThisOrThat

Aug 6, 2020
    Did my live scan prints this morning at the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office and submitted the HQL app immediately afterward. The officer who did the prints said that he’s hearing that approvals are taking a week and a half to two weeks. That’s contradictory to what I’m reading in recent posts here, but we shall see. I have a special kind of luck - I’m expecting 60 days. Anything better will be a nice surprise. :)
    That was the time frame. Unfortunately I believe it will be longer than that. I waited almost 4 weeks for mine to change; and then I get an email saying my live scan didn’t go through correctly. So, a call and a couple emails will hopefully fix this problem. Good luck and I will hope that you obtain yours quickly!

ThisOrThat

Aug 6, 2020
    I would call the location that took your prints and ask them to verify that they sent in the information correctly, then call MSP if it was properly submitted.

A couple of months ago another poster also did not receive the letter about the fingerprints and was able to quickly resolve the problem.

Good luck!
    Became approved today!

coopthink

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    I applied on 7/31 and submitted my DD214. I got a letter that the fingerprints went through late last week. Application is still listed as Pending as of today. Will advise once it progresses.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    My father in MD applied on July 8th and received his card on August 7th. Isn't there a 30 day requirement to get it to you? They are cutting it close.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Approved 8/7 according to the website. Card in the mail I guess. 27 days to be exact.

And card received today. 30 days exactly start to finish.

Attachments

• 59AECE3E-FCB2-48C9-8D08-1A0A77537A0A.jpg
      59AECE3E-FCB2-48C9-8D08-1A0A77537A0A.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 384

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    applied 7/28, approved 8/26

They started changing fields yesterday the 25th and finished this morning.

I still haven't received notification email but the status changed to active this morning.

Not actually active until I have it in my paws and can show it to the gun dealer, so probably another couple of weeks

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I was thinking about this a little last night. I decided on Sunday, July 5 that I’d like to get my HQL. That night I googled to learn the requirements and then to find a local HQL class. The first available class I could find was August 1. I signed up immediately.

After learning the next steps in the HQL class, I got on the phone the following Monday morning to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting. The first appointment was one week later - Monday 8/10.

Upon completion of fingerprinting I immediately applied for my HQL. I’m 22 days in and expecting approval right around the 30 day mark. Then, another ~5-7 business days before I have the card in hand. At that point, I will have a 7 day waiting period on a purchase.

Assuming the above without further delays, I’d be able to bring home a purchase ~9/21. 78 days. I know I’m preaching to the choir here but wow. 78 days. At what point does it become infringement?

Edited to correct lousy math. :)

Last edited:

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Active this afternoon (submitted 8/10). That puts me a few days ahead of my estimate in a previous post. Hopefully the card doesn’t get hung up in the mail.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was thinking about this a little last night. I decided on Sunday, July 5 that I’d like to get my HQL. That night I googled to learn the requirements and then to find a local HQL class. The first available class I could find was August 1. I signed up immediately.

After learning the next steps in the HQL class, I got on the phone the following Monday morning to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting. The first appointment was one week later - Monday 8/10.

Upon completion of fingerprinting I immediately applied for my HQL. I’m 22 days in and expecting approval right around the 30 day mark. Then, another ~5-7 business days before I have the card in hand. At that point, I will have a 7 day waiting period on a purchase.

Assuming the above without further delays, I’d be able to bring home a purchase ~9/14. 71 days. I know I’m preaching to the choir here but wow. 71 days. At what point does it become infringement?
    It's MD, what isn't a infringement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom