• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    So I was at Cabela’s looking for a rifle. Awaiting my number to be called I meandered through the isles looking at the empty ammo shelves. I happened upon the only 5 boxes of this. I overheard another fella in need asking the clerk about 300 ammo availability. I gave him two boxes and said have a happy.

Attachments

• B5AFC009-3313-4021-ACC1-4228723148CC.jpeg
      B5AFC009-3313-4021-ACC1-4228723148CC.jpeg
      105.8 KB · Views: 327

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    You are lucky. You are also very nice for not keeping it all. May I ask how much it was a round? I payed $1.20 just to test out my new build.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    $13.49 per box of twenty. Pre-COVID/unrest prices. Aboit $0.68 per round.

Several years back in the beginning of the Gobama firearm frenzy, I did the same for a guy behind me wanting 9mm at Walmart. Same box count, too. Maybe I should play those numbers.

downrange48

Nov 26, 2014
    Baltimore County Md
    Every see Johhnys reloading bench on YouTube. He did a series on lower grain bullets in 300 bo. Seems that due to there being more room in the case with 147 gr and lower bullets and then moving the rifle from vertical to horizontal the velocity was all over the place like 2 to 300 fps.
    Didn't affect the 168 175 200 gr because it was a compressed load.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Every see Johhnys reloading bench on YouTube. He did a series on lower grain bullets in 300 bo. Seems that due to there being more room in the case with 147 gr and lower bullets and then moving the rifle from vertical to horizontal the velocity was all over the place like 2 to 300 fps.
    Didn't affect the 168 175 200 gr because it was a compressed load.

Would be really weird if true. Generally you are only looking at things like that when the case utilization is extremely low. Like if you were running a few grains of a high density pistol powder to get a subsonic bullet that is on the light side.

Now maybe that is what he was talking about. I forget what a 147gr subsonic would use for trailboss, but it'll still fill a lot of the case for 300BO. Running something like 3-4gr of bullseye to get a 800-900fps velocity very well might make you end up with a lot of velocity stringing.

When I've heard about it, it was related more to .308 subsonic, which as a ton more case capacity and even there a lot of guys running like 4-6gr of BE and such with lighter weight bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom