• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The other item I got at a local auction was a sweet Colt Woodsman Match Target, 2nd Series. I've got a soft spot for Colt Woodsman MTs and always wanted a 2nd series but ended up getting a 3rd series three years ago when I couldn't find a nice 2nd at the right price.
    -This one was built in 1951. Second series MTs were built for a short period from 1947 - 1952. Barrels were available in 4.5" and 6" versions. This one is 6". Another item unique to this variation is the push button mag release. All other versions, before and after, used a heel release. The grips are a form of bakelite that Colt marketed under the name Coltwood. Personally I think they're the prettiest grip material ever found. Just love bakelite!
    -After spending a significant amount getting the Savage I was intending on putting my feet up and watching the rest of the auction. This lot was a last minute addition and I was surprised to find it, along with a spare magazine, in the display case. On a whim I examined it and found the condition very good, with just a tiny trace of edge wear. Grips were perfect. When this lot came up interest was tepid and the auctioneer had to drop the asking price to $100 to entice a couple of dealers to bid. I was surprised when the bidding stalled at $600, well under market. So I jumped in, would have kicked myself if I watched it sell that cheap. The shock was that I got it for just $25 more. Heck the spare mag is worth around $150!
    -So while I'll be back on the ramen noodle diet for a couple of months it was worth it. Now to dream of getting a First Series Woodsman MT!

Attachments

• IMGP8161.JPG
      IMGP8161.JPG
      41.1 KB · Views: 1,005
    • IMGP8162.JPG
      IMGP8162.JPG
      39.5 KB · Views: 983
    • IMGP8163.JPG
      IMGP8163.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 974
    • IMGP8164.JPG
      IMGP8164.JPG
      44.1 KB · Views: 950
    • IMGP8165.JPG
      IMGP8165.JPG
      30.5 KB · Views: 908
    Jul 1, 2012
    Wow, this one turned out to be nicer than I imagined!
    That's like a half-price sale, too :)

Those grips are really colored well.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Right place, right time, what a beauty that is. Now I feel like I paid too much for my High Standard.

wdc5008

Nov 7, 2015
    Frederick County
    Love my woodsman. My grandfather gave it to me when I helped him move quite a few years ago. Pulled it out of his closet and said" you want this i don't want it anymore"...had no idea what it was at the time but saw the colt Mustang on the side and said hell yes. Love this pistol...great and accurate shooter.

Attachments

• 20170204_220231.jpg
      20170204_220231.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 477
    Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That's barely a pistol, its more like a work of art. Not sure what happened to pistol design since then, but no aesthetic advancements were made. I guess it's hard to make polymer look pretty.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's barely a pistol, its more like a work of art. Not sure what happened to pistol design since then, but no aesthetic advancements were made. I guess it's hard to make polymer look pretty.

So true. Sad that all the experienced labor that produced such wonderful high polish finishes is lost to time. Something that a robot or computer controlled tool has yet to reproduce. I have one of the very last Hi Standard Citations built before they closed their doors. The finish has lots of sharp edges and the signature push button take-down is gone, replaced with an allen head screw. Word is they lost the staff with the skills to machine and fit the take down so they went the cheap but effective route of using a screw. Yeah, it works just fine but certainly adds to an air of cheapness.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Never noticed before but these have a lanyard ring! Only featured on the 2nd series MT. Strikes me as an odd feature for a target pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom