• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County

I would appreciate any background on my Model 1903 Mark I, Springfield Armory, Serial Number 1080462, barrel marked SA 4-19.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I would appreciate any background on my Model 1903 Mark I, Springfield Armory, Serial Number 1080462, barrel marked SA 4-19.

Not a hit, but in pretty much an exclusive block of Endurance Tests

1080470 081819 REMINGTON BRIDGEPORT (PED DEV)

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    1903 Mark I

Thank you for looking up my Springfield. Also have a M-1 Garand, SN 3794339, if you have time to check it.
    Thanks again for this help.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thank you for looking up my Springfield. Also have a M-1 Garand, SN 3794339, if you have time to check it.
    Thanks again for this help.

VERY few Garands are in the listings. By the time WWII came around, unit reports and dispatches didn't bother to make note of various rifles--too much more important stuff going on. I'll check when I next have the books out, though.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    VERY few Garands are in the listings. By the time WWII came around, unit reports and dispatches didn't bother to make note of various rifles--too much more important stuff going on. I'll check when I next have the books out, though.

In 1942 the Army issued an order suspending of recording the SNs on Bills of Lading for rifles to save time with the war just starting. Another reason there aren't as many Garand SNs compared to the 77k 1903 entries (that and a shorter span of time).

If you look at the SRS and see multiple SNs on the same date. Usually its because Frank Mallory found a turn-in document or shipping document which would record anywhere from a few, to hundreds of serial numbers on a single document. After 1942 it was simply quicker to record numbers of rifles opposed to entering every single digit.

I forget which year, but the USMC followed suit and decided to stop recording SNs for shipment of firearms as well (but which year I am not entirely sure). They actually referenced the Army procedure and recommended doing the same, which they did.

I do not know if the Army decided to resume recording serial numbers on shipments after 1945. I imagine they did.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Sorry ... haven't been on this site much lately.

Springfield 1903 SN 1308243

Vol. 1
    Nothing close, but distant listings shown before and after are TX National Guard (02-08-1939 not necesarily meaningful).

Vol. 2
    Nothing closer than nearly 100 numbers, but bracketed by Maine Maritime Academy (09-09-1942 again,not necessarily meaningful).

Vol. 3
    Bracketed by Co. B, 29th Engineers (1308205 and 1308249 / 1308254 -- no dates). This is intriguing, but not conclusive.

Vol. 4
    1308231 -- HQ Co, First Brigade, Fort Jay (11-09-1931). This shows that these rifles were not necessarily issued in sequential blocks.

Thanks for Checking Machodoc. Sorry for the delayed gratitude. I've been away myself for a few weeks.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    How complete are the records are Civil War-era Colt pistols? I've got several Civil War-era percussion pistols by Colt and others.

EDIT: I apparently asked this same question quite a while ago and it was already answered. Its been a long day...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Springfield Trap Door model 1884

IT is date stamped for 1991 and looks unissued.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    OK, I'll bite...
    Winchester Lee-Navy - SN 801
    Springfield Trapdoor, 1888 - SN 563498 Stock marked "1 B 51"

Had a copy of Vol 1 and now I can't find it to save my soul. Was just an inexpensive paperback 25 years ago. Kicking myself hard right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom