• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Sometimes you just get lucky if you try hard enough.

I posted elsewhere about doing research on the name that was on the troop tag under the buttplate of a K-31 that I recently bought. The name was apparently not a particularly common one, and Google turned up a photographer in Switzerland who had the same name. I figured that he might be a son, or other relative, so took a chance and wrote to him.

A couple of days later, I received a brief reply ... that it had been his father's rifle.

While I didn't want to ask too much of a stranger, I nevertheless felt compelled to ask if he might have a photo of his dad, so I could print a copy to keep with the rifle. After several days of waiting, and beginning to think that the fellow didn't want to be bothered, I got this reply from him today:

===================================

I remember very well this rifle. When I was a little boy, I helped my father (born 1918) every year to clean this rifle for the annual inspection. So it is not necessary for me to have a picture of the rifle, because I know it very well ...

My sister found two photos of my father in time of WWII. I am happy to send them to you.

Best regards,

Franz Schwendimann

===================================

You may have seen the troop tag that I posted elsewhere. This tag translates to:
    Franz Schwendimann
    born 1918
    Platoon Number III of the heavy anti-aircraft battery number 40
    stationed/lived Mellingen 1A6

Here's what his son and daughter sent to me ...

Attachments

• img032.jpg
      img032.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 300
    • img029.jpg
      img029.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 316
    Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That is cool. I would call the NRA to see if this story could be put into their magazine. This is really a one in a lifetime event.

Congrats!
    Jim Smith

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice story.
    I'm just not getting how they are selling/turning over family legacy. I would not want to ask directly but why are they selling their family firearms? Especially in a Pro Gun country?
    If they have no family, I see that, but not when there is kin to pass them down to. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it.
    Maybe we are only able to import 10% of what is really being held by civilians and 10% of what they have is alot of available C&R?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Nice story.
    I'm just not getting how they are selling/turning over family legacy. I would not want to ask directly but why are they selling their family firearms? Especially in a Pro Gun country?
    If they have no family, I see that, but not when there is kin to pass them down to. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it.
    Maybe we are only able to import 10% of what is really being held by civilians and 10% of what they have is alot of available C&R?

Some of these guns were privatized (to families), and sold by them to U.S. importers (or their agents), and some were military surplus. I believe that this one was military surplus, and never was owned by the family. As a member of what I assume to have been something like our National Guard, the soldiers would be issued rifles that they kept at home, but they were still government property--and they either had to be turned back in at some point, or they were purchased as surplus.

I know that when I go to that Big Gun Show in the Sky, my sons will each probably snag some of my firearms, but the rest will probably be sold off as needed to provide cash. That was the point. We're just custodians of these things for a time.

Also, how many of you have ended up with a nice rifle that belonged to someone's grandpa, but the grandchild sold it to you or to the LGS because they had more interest in buying 4 cartons of smokes (that actually happened to me) than they had an interest in the Enfield that grandpa got somewhere. It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    This brought a smile to my face. What a cool story. Agreed, I would send to the NRA with the families' permission.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    That is super cool. Shame they didn't have a picture of him with the rifle, but still super cool just the same. I've never pulled the butt plate from my k31 since it is a P rifle and I assumed it never saw service, but maybe I should just to be sure. These stories of folks finding family of those named on the tags is inspiring.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Also, how many of you have ended up with a nice rifle that belonged to someone's grandpa, but the grandchild sold it to you or to the LGS because they had more interest in buying 4 cartons of smokes (that actually happened to me) than they had an interest in the Enfield that grandpa got somewhere. It doesn't make sense to us, but it makes sense to them.

Unfortunately this seems to happen pretty often. Some people just don't see it as a big deal. Sheesh, watch one episode of Pawn Stars and you'll see.

My Dad bought an A5 off of a guy who needed money. Although built in the 70s it was still one of his Grandpa's guns. Asked my Dad to hold it in case he could one day buy it back and that was about 25 years ago. Guess he didn't want it back that badly.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Very cool picture and story. Are you sure the troop tag didn't say "heavy AA battery?" That is not a light AA gun, though likely he was in more than one unit.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Unfortunately this seems to happen pretty often. Some people just don't see it as a big deal. Sheesh, watch one episode of Pawn Stars and you'll see.

My Dad bought an A5 off of a guy who needed money. Although built in the 70s it was still one of his Grandpa's guns. Asked my Dad to hold it in case he could one day buy it back and that was about 25 years ago. Guess he didn't want it back that badly.

I have bought many firearms because people have needed money, with the understanding that they can come back for their firearm. Some come back for the firearm, others don't. I won't buy junk, but it's something I do for my friends and family. I give them fair market value, so don't think they're only being paid pennies on the dollar.

Jim Smith

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Very cool picture and story. Are you sure the troop tag didn't say "heavy AA battery?" That is not a light AA gun, though likely he was in more than one unit.

Good question! I got the information for translating the tag from: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/tags/

As luck would have it, their first example was similar to my tag, so I went with that. Did I miss something?

[EDIT: Yep ... looks like I did. "L. Flab" is "light anti-aircraft," and "Sch." or "Schw." (Flab) would be "heavy anti-aircraft."

Good catch!!

Attachments

• Troop_Tag.jpg
      Troop_Tag.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 186
    • Troop_Tag2.jpg
      Troop_Tag2.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 183

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Good question! I got the information for translating the tag from: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/tags/

As luck would have it, their first example was similar to my tag, so I went with that. Did I miss something?

[EDIT: Yep ... looks like I did. "L. Flab" is "light anti-aircraft," and "Sch." or "Schw." (Flab) would be "heavy anti-aircraft."

Good catch!!

Thanks, just a guess. But now that I see the troop tag it was definitely marked for a heavy (schwere) battery. I'd bet it also says FLAK which is the German for Flugabwerkannone (and of course where we get the term flak.) Possibly the Swiss note it differently, as Flugabwerbatterie (FLAB) but since it seems to show the abbreviation for battery afterwards it probably says Schwere FLAK Batterie III/40, which is likely Heavy AA Battery 3/gun #40 or possibly Battery 3/Battalion 40.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Good catch!!

I love that you got a picture of him manning the AA gun. The picture that was sent to me by the son of the rifle's owner just shows him with his ugly horse when he was a dragoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom